TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Divisional Series Thread

At this point I only see two possibilities for the NLCS

1. Both teams keep up their high level of play and we get an incredibly competitive 7 game series, or

2. One of the teams follows the path of the 06 Tigers/05 Astros and starts inexplicably making errors out the ass and the series is an unwatchable sweep

I said most, not that I didn't know any. I know of Hudson, Webb, Hernandez, Young, Tony Clark and Connor Jackson. And I only know of those guys because they are on my copy of MLB 2006 and Young killed the Cubs. Oh yeah, and that Drew guy who I can't remember the first name of.

After that, I'm not entirely sure. It's not their fault, I just didn't go to great lengths to research the D-Backs and I don't exactly get many Arizona games.

I don't even know who you are

Impossible.

but I do know the Mets cheer section of this board reached a rather pathetic level tonight.

In case you hadn't noticed, my gloating isn't about the Phillies losing. It's more about mocking UTSU and his obnoxious posts from the last week of the season.

Get a clue, Hawk 3,240,500.

No, actually it's your fellow Mets cheerleader, SJR, who has led the parade tonight.

Orlando Hudson

Oh god dammit, Brandon Hudson is the name of one of the second baseman for the college near me. FUCK! I KNEW I was going to confuse that shit!

Goes to show, REALLY don't know the D-Backs well at all. Orlando Hudson, son of a bitch.

Guest huss

Living in Arizona you don't really notice the D-Bags or their fans until it's time to hop on the bandwagon. With all the snowbirds and CA transplants around here, there are large amounts of Cubs fans around and a good number of Giants fans as well. I do see a good number of people walking around on campus with recently bought D-Bags hats and shirts, but it's what I expect around here. Although at least the student body is filling their time with baseball, instead of majoring in sexual assault and minoring in excessive alcohol consumption.

Congrats to the team, they've earned it this year. Now with that out of the way, I'm only watching the ALCS.

Are there ANY Rockies/Backs/Indians fans around these parts? It'll be a quiet post season from here on out. Although the Mets fans will probably make irrational and poorly executed shots at the Red Sox for no discernible reason.

Leena was harassing me on AIM about "Douglas Davis" and "Christopher Young," but I think she's pretending to be a Dbags fan just as much as everyone out there. Geedorah said he likes the Rockies when they're good. I think one person here likes the Indians; I forgot whom. I suggest that we treat this NLCS like homosexuality in Victorian England: just pretend it's not there and don't talk about it.

I was a supporter up through a couple of the lean years, at least, which is more than can be said for a lot of people in the city, who stopped paying attention even when they continued playing reasonably well and Larry Walker was still a regular. Well, I won't be talking about things much, if at all, since I honestly know shit all about baseball due to drifting in and out for so long, and because I mostly lurk anyway.

So I'm late to this thread after last night. All I have to say is:

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

You couldn't have written better irony than this Cubs post-season. I am entertained.

Player to watch in the NLCS: Justin Upton

He might not do much during the series but he's a phenom.

He's only 20, but it's not like a 20 year old ever got brushed back by Roger Clemens in the world series and then hit a HR on the next pitch, right?

Other than the Yankees winning the World Series and Joe Carters walkoff homerun, this is my favorite memory in Baseball History. I can picture Al in a fetal posistion crying.

Tough luck. I'm perfectly calm and composed right now.

I forgot that you are used to losers, My bad.

Living near New York City has also gotten me accustomed to unsolicited flame wars.

I feel like I should comment (and not leave Keiper by his lonesome taking taunts for the whole of Philly) about just how hot the Rockies were. If you listened to local talk in Philly, everyone who knew anything about baseball wanted nothing to do with them. I don't know what happens next year, but this was a fun ride and I'm just happy they fought so hard to get where they did.

On a seperate note, I bet the Eagles are the saddest people in Philly, because now they don't have the Phils to dampen the wrath of their fans.

You couldn't have written better irony than this Cubs post-season. I am entertained.

I'm not sure you understand the concept of irony.

I feel like I should comment (and not leave Keiper by his lonesome taking taunts for the whole of Philly) about just how hot the Rockies were. If you listened to local talk in Philly, everyone who knew anything about baseball wanted nothing to do with them. I don't know what happens next year, but this was a fun ride and I'm just happy they fought so hard to get where they did.

On a seperate note, I bet the Eagles are the saddest people in Philly, because now they don't have the Phils to dampen the wrath of their fans.

I think the Phillies go in as favorites next season. Jayson Werth and Aaron Rowand are free agents, the rest of the offensive core remains. Right now the rotation looks like Hamels, Moyer, Eaton, Kendrick, and Durbin or J.A. Happ. They could move Brett Myers into the rotation. I wonder however if they might consider bringing back Curt Schilling for an encore. The big question is what happens with the bullpen.

There are a lot of things Invader doesn't understand. I'm sure the Brewers and their pen would've fared much better than the Cubs. I can't believe anyone's shocked the NL Central champs made a fairly quick exit in the postseason. Did we just forget the last three or four months?

Guest NYankees
Other than the Yankees winning the World Series and Joe Carters walkoff homerun, this is my favorite memory in Baseball History. I can picture Al in a fetal posistion crying.

Tough luck. I'm perfectly calm and composed right now.

I forgot that you are used to losers, My bad.

Living near New York City has also gotten me accustomed to unsolicited flame wars.

Based off of the pix that I have seen of you, I am suprised that you are not accustomed to getting your ass kicked often. Haha, just kidding.

Anyways Go Yankees. Either way it is going to be a win tonight. Yankees lose and Torre is gone.

The Boss is BACK and Torre is managing for his job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007...tory?id=3052904

NEW YORK -- Joe Torre's Yankees must advance to the American League Championship Series for the longtime manager to keep his job, George Steinbrenner said on Saturday. Speaking in a telephone interview with The Record of Hackensack, N.J., which published his remarks on Sunday, Steinbrenner said that Torre's 12-year run at the helm is at stake as the Yankees face an 0-2 deficit to the Indians in the American League Division Series.

"His job is on the line," Steinbrenner told the newspaper. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

Torre, who has managed the Yankees since 1996, is baseball's highest-paid manager, earning $7 million this year. He is not under contract for the 2008 season, making him the most notable potential free agent in a Yankees group that includes Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera and perhaps Alex Rodriguez.

Steinbrenner told The Record that Torre has "been good for us over the years," as the Yankees have made the playoffs in each of Torre's 12 seasons. But they are facing first-round elimination for the third consecutive season on Sunday.

New York is pinning its Game 3 hopes on 45-year-old Roger Clemens, pitching opposite Cleveland's Jake Westbrook as the Indians try for the series sweep at Yankee Stadium.

"We certainly need to find out what we're made of," Torre said earlier on Saturday. "We certainly can't take time to feel sorry for ourselves. We've worked too hard to get here and to be one of the select teams in the postseason. We have to make the most of it."

The 77-year-old Steinbrenner, who has reserved his words in recent years, instead opting to release most of his commentary through public relations man Howard Rubenstein, agreed with Torre's assessment.

"I think that's a good statement," he said. "They'd better show what they're made of."

In a wide-ranging interview with The Record, Steinbrenner had choice words for umpire Bruce Froemming, the crew chief who opted to continue play in Friday's Game 2 despite swarms of small winged bugs, called midges, that unnerved rookie closer Joba Chamberlain in the eighth inning as Cleveland tied the game, which eventually ended in 11 innings with the Indians winning, 2-1.

"He won't umpire our games anymore," Steinbrenner said of Froemming, who is retiring after this season.

Steinbrenner also acknowledged Alex Rodriguez's future, as the probable American League MVP remains hitless in this ALDS and in his last 19 postseason at-bats.

"I think we'll re-sign him," Steinbrenner said of A-Rod. "I think he's going to have a good run the rest of the [postseason]. I think he realizes New York is the place to be, the place to play. A lot of this [postseason] is laying on his shoulders, you know, but I think he's up to it."

Steinbrenner told the newspaper that he maintains full control over the Yankees, despite published reports of his failing health.

"I'm doing all right," Steinbrenner said. "I'm fine."

Talk about pressure. Yeesh. I'm worried about the state of Joe Torre's job. Roger Clemens hasn't pitched in a couple weeks, his hamstring's bothering him, and, for as good of a pitcher as he's been in his career, his postseason numbers are good, but not blow-you-away type stats. (12-8, 3.66 ERA). The last time Clemens pitched in the postseason on a bad hamstring, he lasted 2 innings against the White Sox and gave way to Wandy Rodriguez.

When was the last time all four Division Series ended in 3 game sweeps?

Oh man, we haven't heard this story before. *leans forward with interest*

Hopefully Torre and A-Rod are both gone next year, the Yanks make the postseason, get eliminated with little difficulty, and Yankee fans are forced to find another scapegoat.

Hopefully Torre and A-Rod are both gone next year, the Yanks make the postseason

I believe the first would lead to the opposite of the second

Torre hopefully will be back. I don't understand people who think he's a bad manager. He has his faults (playing Matsui in game 1 over Duncan) and his bullpenm managment, but he's done nothing out of the ordinary to deserve a firing. The odds or Posada and Mariano coming back drastically lower if he leaves, too.

I'm skeptical that this is a real "interview" with George Steinbrenner. I don't think he's in the mental condition to convey all those points. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I've read several places that the media has seriously downplayed how bad George has gotten and how little he has to do with this team.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

They were a streaky team all year and had a bad streak in October. That's not ironic at all. It sucks, but it's not ironic. Again, you're a fucking idiot. The Brewers were still worse than the Cubs, and this changes nothing. If to you, this somehow mitigates finishing in second place, okay, hang on to that losers' mentality, but I still think you're a fucking idiot. I didn't really get any enjoyment out of the Astros being swept in 2005, or the Cardinals in 2004. The Cubs still sucked those years. There's nothing for me to derive from other divisional teams' failures. Again, that's because I'm not a fucking idiot like you are.

They were a streaky team all year and had a bad streak in October. That's not ironic at all. It sucks, but it's not ironic. Again, you're a fucking idiot. The Brewers were still worse than the Cubs, and this changes nothing. If to you, this somehow mitigates finishing in second place, okay, hang on to that losers' mentality, but I still think you're a fucking idiot. I didn't really get any enjoyment out of the Astros being swept in 2005, or the Cardinals in 2004. The Cubs still sucked those years. There's nothing for me to derive from other divisional teams' failures. Again, that's because I'm not a fucking idiot like you are.

Yeah, if your best argument is "you're a fucking idiot", you must be making great points. Although I found your last sentence to be ironic.

I love how every Cubs fan/atheist/left winger/whatever always resorts to name calling with me on this board. You don't see me calling people "fucking retards" or whatever. A message board would be pretty damn boring if we all sat around making agreeable statements all the time. I mean, I'm sure even you would be bored if this thread was just a big Cubs fan circle jerk. Anyway...

Perhaps irony was a poor choice to use. That said, it doesn't change that I am most pleased about the outcome of this NLDS. You bring up the Brewers...yes the Brewers finished with a worse regular season record than the Cubs, but they also won the same amount of post-season games as them, so it doesn't really matter too much at this point.