TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

ECW 10.2.07 (Vince McMahon McMahon to make WWE Title announcment)

Dreamer got the pin, and I said I might just to have to buy No Mercy to see Dreamer-Punk.

Then they fucked it up.

I mean, Dreamer just wrestled three matches in three weeks to earn the shot. What did BDV do except violate FCC rules by going on TV with his tits exposed?

During the No Mercy rundown tonight, I dont think HHH/Umaga was even mentioned - take that as you will (relating to the possibility of Orton/Umaga/HHH at the ppv).

This happened to Dreamer all the time in the original ECW.

Remember how he finally won the belt only to lose it 5 minutes later to Justin Credible in an impromptu match.

Say what you will, but Dreamer getting beaten down and his dreams crushed is classic ECW.

Agreed.

This is the farthest nostalgic nod to the original ECW that I really want to see. Would have been nice to see Dreamer just get a brief nod as a contender to a title on a ppv. Its not much to ask.

I don't think a lot of these people claiming to be ECW fans, actually watched ECW, and acts all shock and starts to complain. This is classic retro ECW booking right here.

I don't think a lot of these people claiming to be ECW fans, actually watched ECW, and acts all shock and starts to complain. This is classic retro ECW booking right here.

*sigh* you're right... I know...

I've had a few minutes to think about it, and another beer downed... I guess I'll live with it.

But damn it... I wanted Dreamer vs. Punk.

No. It's Dusty booking. It's only retro because Tommy is involved.

Yeah, and I didn't fucking like it when they hotshotted the title to Credible...without ever showing Dreamer's victory on TV...in 2000 either. It also doesn't make any sense to throw him into the Elimination Chase, and no, "Estrada's a heel GM" doesn't cut it.

During the No Mercy rundown tonight, I dont think HHH/Umaga was even mentioned - take that as you will (relating to the possibility of Orton/Umaga/HHH at the ppv).

Yea they did.

first match mentioned after mentioning Punk.

Yeah, and I didn't fucking like it when they hotshotted the title to Credible...without ever showing Dreamer's victory on TV...in 2000 either. It also doesn't make any sense to throw him into the Elimination Chase, and no, "Estrada's a heel GM" doesn't cut it.

The plan since Viscera came to ECW was to make him a top heel monster on the program and eventually have a CM Punk/BDV feud, if last week didn't clue you in to what was eventually going you happen, then you're naive. You honestly thought Dreamer was going to get the title shot, and the whole thing with BGV destroying CM Punk would be ignored? C'mon now, I saw this coming from a mile away.

I'm interested to see how this match will play out. While BDV isn't a good worker by any means, he isn't a big lazy slug and can actually move around pretty good for his size. If CM Punk can drag a decent match out of him, I'll give him all the respect in the world.

Options:

1) Punk retains, BDV gets Umaga-ed and Khali-ed, goes to Smackdown and promptly revitalizes himself like all people who job in title matches after crushing everyone else on their current show's roster do.

2) BDV wins, and WWE creative realizes they've got nobody that can feasibly beat him. Cue BDV title run until Lashley returns because Lashley needs a big-name opponent and there aren't any giants left on Raw.

The plan since Viscera came to ECW was to make him a top heel monster on the program and eventually have a CM Punk/BDV feud, if last week didn't clue you in to what was eventually going you happen, then you're naive. You honestly thought Dreamer was going to get the title shot, and the whole thing with BGV destroying CM Punk would be ignored? C'mon now, I saw this coming from a mile away.

Actually, the plan for BDV for a long time now was to groom him for a run on SmackDown. I have no problem with this, except for the fact that he had nothing to do with the original four-man competition in the first place. This just tells me, as a fan, that I shouldn't invest any emotion in any sort of feud/competition, as it can always change at the last minute.

Fuck, they have another PPV in less than a month. They couldn't wait until then? I mean, the Punk-BDV affair just started seven days ago, right?

Actually, the plan for BDV for a long time now was to groom him for a run on SmackDown. I have no problem with this, except for the fact that he had nothing to do with the original four-man competition in the first place. This just tells me, as a fan, that I shouldn't invest any emotion in any sort of feud/competition, as it can always change at the last minute.

Fuck, they have another PPV in less than a month. They couldn't wait until then? I mean, the Punk-BDV affair just started seven days ago, right?

You do know that a part of the plan before moving him to SD! was to make him a main event heel on ECW right?

And invest any emotion in a feud/competition? Dude this is PRO FUCKING WRESTLING, stranger and by far worse things have happend to feuds before. Atleast this isn't suprising

Another option

3) BDV wins, and then CM Punk goes on to win the WWE title which makes the IC bust a cyber nut.

That'd be an awful lot of e-jizz.

Mike Knox is supposed to be something for Punk to worry about? Are we supposed to forget the jobbage of Knox over the last 8 mos. or so?

Yes, why don't you think Knox wasn't used for so long?

I'm interested to see how this match will play out. While BDV isn't a good worker by any means, he isn't a big lazy slug and can actually move around pretty good for his size. If CM Punk can drag a decent match out of him, I'll give him all the respect in the world.

One thing I also wanted to throw out, a few weeks ago (I think it was a few weeks ago), Dreamer went to Astrada and asked for a title match, Astrada didn't think Tommy deserved one so he screwed Tommy over by feeding him to Big Daddy V. It's all part of a story that has been happening for weeks now.

Mike Knox is supposed to be something for Punk to worry about? Are we supposed to forget the jobbage of Knox over the last 8 mos. or so?

Yes, why don't you think Knox wasn't used for so long?

He just jobbed to Balls Mahoney on ECW TV about two weeks ago. You can count on one finger how many people have done that job over the past year. I know it's the E's policy to expect fans to ignore all previous history and bookings of any wrestler they repackage (see Big Daddy V and Snitsky), but damn they brought him back and have him go over Balls once with interference from The Miz of all people, then get handily taken down by Balls one week later. Not saying they couldn't build Knox as a legitimate threat, but they haven't even started considering starting such a thing. They haven't even changed his previous jobber look or gimmick.

One thing I also wanted to throw out, a few weeks ago (I think it was a few weeks ago), Dreamer went to Astrada and asked for a title match, Astrada didn't think Tommy deserved one so he screwed Tommy over by feeding him to Big Daddy V. It's all part of a story that has been happening for weeks now.

I understand that this is what they intended to do, but man, did it annoy me. Now, that can be mollified if they follow this up with Dreamer doing an "Against the Odds" feud with El Commandante over the next couple of months, culminating in possibly another shot at the title as Dreamer slowly builds up enough wins or AAE backs himself into a corner by guaranteeing a title shot if Dreamer wins some ridiculous gamut of matches and Dreamer pulls it off. I just don't expect the E to follow up on this in any way other than as another nod to Dreamer as the perpetual loser.

This show was such bullshit. The past few weeks of solid matches with the chase were rendered pointless when Big Daddy V was basically just handed the shot. How is that retro ECW booking? Yes, I know Dreamer lost to Justin in 2000 in an impromptu match but that was all a hectic mess to begin with. This was basically just fucking over the viewers who have invested any time and interest into the chase. Why not just have Dreamer get a PPV payday and job to Punk, then they can move on to Punk vs. Big Daddy V anyway.

I really liked the elimination chase, it was incredibly refreshing from the standard RAW "Oh, wait, bah gawd *heel* just hit *finisher* on *champion*! Does this mean he's the new number one contender?" and the standard Smackdown "I see you're the champion now...I challenge you!" contendership deciding policy.

Then of course Big Daddy Mabel's gotta step in and avalanche the competition. All keeping him out of the Chase says to me is that Estrada didn't think he was the best of Burke, Dreamer, Stevie, Thorn and BDV.

I understand that this is what they intended to do, but man, did it annoy me. Now, that can be mollified if they follow this up with Dreamer doing an "Against the Odds" feud with El Commandante over the next couple of months, culminating in possibly another shot at the title as Dreamer slowly builds up enough wins or AAE backs himself into a corner by guaranteeing a title shot if Dreamer wins some ridiculous gamut of matches and Dreamer pulls it off. I just don't expect the E to follow up on this in any way other than as another nod to Dreamer as the perpetual loser.

See, the whole point of the storyline got across to the fans. It annoyed you. I understand what you mean that the WWE may not follow up with the Dreamer vs Evil GM thing (Sandman would be more fitting), but ECW has actually been really good on keeping up with continuing storylines and what have you. I don't think ECW has really screwed that up, and no I'm not counting Snitsky or Big Daddy V as they were repackaged for ECW.

See, the whole point of the storyline got across to the fans. It annoyed you. I understand what you mean that the WWE may not follow up with the Dreamer vs Evil GM thing (Sandman would be more fitting), but ECW has actually been really good on keeping up with continuing storylines and what have you. I don't think ECW has really screwed that up, and no I'm not counting Snitsky or Big Daddy V as they were repackaged for ECW.

I'll give them a shot at making the storyline work. I understand that the point was to get people mad. But the point is supposed to be that we are mad at Estrada or Striker for being the evil heels. I'm annoyed at the writers/bookers, which is not what they should want.

ECW is definitely better on continuity within its show than the other shows are, but that is really like saying ECW is the prettiest troll in a pack.

Now you said your mad at the bookers/writers. Say you didn't know anything about the behind the scenes of pro wrestling, you don't know that there are writers or bookers, your just a casual fan who enjoys pro wrestling....would you be mad at the booker/writers or would be mad at the GM for screwing over Dreamer?

Now you said your mad at the bookers/writers. Say you didn't know anything about the behind the scenes of pro wrestling, you don't know that there are writers or bookers, your just a casual fan who enjoys pro wrestling....would you be mad at the booker/writers or would be mad at the GM for screwing over Dreamer?

Point taken, but that would presume that I thought the show was somewhat real; everyone who watches should know that whole deal's a show, right? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic here?

My real problem, as noted above, is that when you pull something like this, you need to make it part of a long-term program that ultimately results in the bad guys getting the short end of the stick. I have no faith that the E is going to follow this up properly. I pray that they will surprise me and do things right, but given the E's general record, I just don't see it. Sure, ECW is the best show overall for wrestling at the moment, but it's still part of the E, and usually the company's policy of overpushing misbehaving or talentless humps wins out in the end. Guys that work hard and put on a good show generally get tossed into the morass of the dead-end midcard.

This is not some throwback to ECW booking, IMO. There is no one on the team who gives a shit about that. This is hotshotting the BDV/Punk feud so they can quickly throw the strap back on Morrison. Punk will pull a miracle win, and next month we'll see Morrison in the main and eventually with the title. They accomplished the short little feud they wanted and then it's back to their project with Morrison.

This is not some throwback to ECW booking, IMO. There is no one on the team who gives a shit about that. This is hotshotting the BDV/Punk feud so they can quickly throw the strap back on Morrison. Punk will pull a miracle win, and next month we'll see Morrison in the main and eventually with the title. They accomplished the short little feud they wanted and then it's back to their project with Morrison.

I just hate the fact that you're probably right. Hopefully Morrison will have some more time to get his shit together this go-round. His promos were complete nonsense.

I liked what he said, but not HOW he said it. He speaks without tone, and it's baffling sometimes. I can't feel what he's saying at all, it just comes out. The facial expressions, the look, the in-ring work, the entrance it's all there. That part works, but that TONE...it's awful.