TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

I think Linebrink/Turnbow could turn a good trade together. Matt Wise is practically worthless so they should get what they can for him. Shouse & Spurling weren't all that terrible, McClung should stay as well.

I'm not sure what they will do with Capuano. Trade? Bullpen? Hope he returns to form in the rotation?

It would be really nice if Sheets could play a full season.

Sheets/Suppan/Parra/Villanueva/Bush or, better yet, an improvement with a signing or trade would be a solid rotation if weird & consistent injuries stay away (Hey Ben).

No offensive upgrades really needed. Jenkins and Koskie will both be gone & won't be terribly missed. Will any team give Jenkins that kind of money? Milwaukee should try to keep a third catcher in the majors next year, there were plenty of times when a switch would have been good but Yost didn't want to risk being without a backup.

Actually, yeah, Linebrink is a free agent now. Theoretically the Brewers could try to re-sign him, but if they don't, they'll get 1 or 2 first round draft picks as compensation, assuming he signs with another team. The same thing will happen if they don't re-sign Cordero...so they could potentially have four or five first round draft picks next year, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm kind of tired of relying on Ben Sheets, personally. He's been injured consistently the last three seasons. I think the Brewers should try to build the rotation around Yovani Gallardo...maybe hold onto Sheets, but don't expect him to be the ace anymore.

I would also like to see the Brewers go after a short term solution to their outfield...like trade for a big bopper type LF, but it will be tough to make anything like that happen this off-season, it's looking like.

The San Diego Padres claimed Luis Rodriguez from the Minnesota Twins off waivers.

He hit .219/.281/.303 last season at age 27 in 173 plate appearances. Not sure on his defensive metrics (MIB? Al? Somebody?) but I guess his one "upside" would be that he was a just crappy hitter against righties when hitting lefty (.221/.276/.328 in 2007 in 135 PA - .246/.310/.360 in 408 career PA).

Mr. Leg Kick (Brad Ausmus) seems close to signing a 1 year extension with the Houston Astros too.

How could I forget Gallardo? Yeesh.

The thing with Sheets is that if he could just stay healthy (for once) he's a potential 20 game winner, or thereabouts.

Not sure on his defensive metrics (MIB? Al? Somebody?) but I guess his one "upside" would be that he was a just crappy hitter against righties when hitting lefty (.221/.276/.328 in 2007 in 135 PA - .246/.310/.360 in 408 career PA).

Here are his defensive numbers, which are based upon the combination of a couple of different metrics around Zone Rating. (Full spreadsheet, which I believe was compiled by Sean Smith, is here, if you want to investigate further.) He's about average, but it doesn't appear that he can play shortstop competently (at least not from his past ZRs there) and he certainly doesn't have the bat to carry even a roster spot as a non-SS utility infield guy. I don't think he's going to be much more than "organizational depth."

Since there isn't much data on Rodriguez at the major league level, we'll use a common sense metric. Rodriguez when he played in Rochester the last few years tended to play second rather than shortstop. The reasoning here is that if his glove were a tremendous asset, his teams would put him at short as much as possible. What Rodriguez brings to the table is a bit of plate discipline in the infield. The Pads waived Brady Clark to pick up Rodriguez, so that's what the deal boils down to.

Tom Glavine declined his player option for 2008, he is now eligible for free agency.

I hope he doesn't pull the Roger Clemens "I won't sign with anyone 'til May", bullshit.

The Detroit Tigers exercised their 2008 option on Pudge Rodriguez for $13 million. Pudge doesn't have much left in the tank, but he's the symbolic leader of that team and there is nothing on the free agent market in the way of catching talent. Slight thumbs up, I guess.

Tom Glavine declined his player option for 2008, he is now eligible for free agency.

I hope he doesn't pull the Roger Clemens "I won't sign with anyone 'til May", bullshit.

Tom Glavine isn't Roger Clemens. He's good, but I cannot see him having as huge of a demand as Clemens.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Kenny Williams extends Ozzie Guillen, Jermaine Dye, A.J. Pierzynski, fires third base coach Razor Shines. Problem equals solved! Don't stop believin'!

Toronto hired Gary Denbo as their hitting coach. Apparently he had been working with the Yankees and was their hitting coach in 2001.

Seattle didn't pick up the options on Arthur Rhodes or Chris Reitsma.

A new hitting coach for the Jays is such a nothing move. Wells, Glaus, Overbay, Johnson, and Zaun all under-performed because of injuries. When over half of your opening day line-up have big injury problems, how is it the hitting coach's fault? Not to mention they had a blackhole of offense at shortstop all year with either Clayton or McDonald in there.

I am predicting that Troy Glaus will not be back with the Jays. With that in mind, I wonder if JP will go too.

Glaus's trade value isn't exactly very high. Unless they have some trade worked out where they get Miguel Cabrera or something (and they don't exactly have the pieces to make that trade), he won't be going anywhere.

Riccardi probably has at least another year, but I think Gibbons is gone if they don't make the playoffs or at least come pretty close.

Guest NYankees
David Justice was just an average player after 1997.

WOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. Mr. think he knows it all finally got something wrong. Justice might have been injury prone after 1997 but he did hit 41 homeruns and drove in 120 rbi's in 2000. Last time I checked he was the spark plug he guided the Yankees to the playoffs when the team played poorly in the second half and I could have sworn he won the 2000 ALCS MVP against Seattle. That is pretty good for an average player.

WOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. Mr. think he knows it all finally got something wrong. Justice might have been injury prone after 1997 but he did hit 41 homeruns and drove in 120 rbi's in 2000. Last time I checked he was the spark plug he guided the Yankees to the playoffs when the team played poorly in the second half and I could have sworn he won the 2000 ALCS MVP against Seattle. That is pretty good for an average player.

David Justice HR & RBI Statistics 1998 - 2002

1998: 21/88

1999: 21/88

2000: 41/121

2001: 18/51

2002: 11/49

ab·er·ra·tion

–noun

1. the act of departing from the right, normal, or usual course.

So let's get this straight. He played great for the Yankees when they lost a bunch of games? What kind of argument is that?

As Bruiser indicated, that's one season. Out of five. Seasons in which he was paid superstar money. He had good seasons, but he wasn't a superstar. That's the point.

One more consideration of the trade. The Braves saved nearly $12 million dollars by trading Grissom and Justice. They signed Andres Galarraga for $8.5 Million.

Guest Smues

[Darth Vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/Darth Vader]

Where'd you hear that? I haven't been able to find anything about it.

Guest Smues

Damn I found it.

Atlanta Braves general manager John Schuerholz is expected to step down after 17 seasons, according to FOXSports.com and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Braves have scheduled a press conference for 3:30 p.m. ET, according to FOXSports.com.

Schuerholz, who took over as GM in 1990, was the architect of a team that won 14 straight division titles. The Braves, howeve, won only one World Series during that span, in 1995.

He is expected to hand over the reins to top assistant Frank Wren, the AJC reported.

The Braves have missed the postseason the last two seasons.

Well fuck that was unexpected, I figured he'd stick around at least a couple of more years.

Maybe it's just me...

But ESPN has been saying referring to the Yankees that the Bronx is Burning every time they talk about them...

I don't know if this is reference to the show or what..

I swear i've never heard that phrase before this year...

Damn I found it.

Atlanta Braves general manager John Schuerholz is expected to step down after 17 seasons, according to FOXSports.com and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Braves have scheduled a press conference for 3:30 p.m. ET, according to FOXSports.com.

Schuerholz, who took over as GM in 1990, was the architect of a team that won 14 straight division titles. The Braves, howeve, won only one World Series during that span, in 1995.

He is expected to hand over the reins to top assistant Frank Wren, the AJC reported.

The Braves have missed the postseason the last two seasons.

Well fuck that was unexpected, I figured he'd stick around at least a couple of more years.

I thought it was well-known that this was his last season. A lot of people speculated that he cleaned out the farm system for Teixeira because he wanted to win it all in his last season.

What does this mean for Cox? Does he end up on the list for possible Yankees replacement?