TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Guest Gym Class Fallout
Maybe it's just me...

But ESPN has been saying referring to the Yankees that the Bronx is Burning every time they talk about them...

I don't know if this is reference to the show or what..

I swear i've never heard that phrase before this year...

Howard Cosell said it when they cut to a school on fire during a Yankees game. Then the phrase became a book. Then the book became a miniseries. Then the miniseries became a Booyah Network commodity. Then the Booyah commodity became a Booyah catchphrase.

I thought it was well-known that this was his last season. A lot of people speculated that he cleaned out the farm system for Teixeira because he wanted to win it all in his last season.

Boy, for one of the smartest general managers we've seen in a long time, this ended up being pretty fuckin' stupid. I suppose Andruw Jones's newfound love affair with the Mendoza Line didn't help matters.

Schuerholz is staying on Team President. Frank Wren, the assistant GM is taking over. No need to panic. Cox is staying on to next season, and has said he wants to manage in 2009 as well. Not a big deal.

And I stand by the Texiera trade as being a good move, especially given Scheurholz's past history of trading prospects. And I hated the signing of Andres Galaragga and still do.

The Braves still have another year of Teixeira, so it's way too early to call it a failure. The prized commodity of the deal was Saltalamacchia, and since the Braves already have Brian McCann he was expendable.

Guest Smues
Rumors are flying in Cincy that Dusty Fucking Baker is the next Reds manager.

How does a manager that horrible keep lucking into jobs?

Affirmative action?

Hey Al, when are we getting the results for the TSM MLB awards?

Hopefully this weekend. If someone wants to do the legwork, dividing the votes into 1st, 2nd, etc. into a spreadsheet for each player, that would save me a bit of time.

The Phillies declined the 2008 options of Rod Barajas and Abraham Nunez. The Barajas departure may finally mean a steady MLB job for Chris Coste. I hope if Coste doesn't make it, he's allowed to pursue a job with another team. There are several teams, Houston comes to mind, that would benefit from making him a starter.

Buster Olney just reported that the Mitchell Commission will issue their report sometime between October 31 and the end of the year. The report will name names.

Someone turn on a fan. George Mitchell has some shit he wants to hurl at it.

I saw that earlier and forgot to comment on it. I can't believe that they'd axe one of the best pitching coaches in the game. I know that the staff hasn't been great the last two years, but he got a lot of mileage out of Bedard, Loewen and Guthrie. I figure that Trembley wants to bring in his own guy, which makes some sense, but shit like this is why the team finishes in 4th place every year.

The Phillies declined the 2008 options of Rod Barajas and Abraham Nunez. The Barajas departure may finally mean a steady MLB job for Chris Coste. I hope if Coste doesn't make it, he's allowed to pursue a job with another team. There are several teams, Houston comes to mind, that would benefit from making him a starter.

How do you feel about the reports that the Phillies are interested in Curt Shilling, Mariano Rivera, and Mike Lowell?

Maybe it's just me...

But ESPN has been saying referring to the Yankees that the Bronx is Burning every time they talk about them...

I don't know if this is reference to the show or what..

I swear i've never heard that phrase before this year...

Howard Cosell said it when they cut to a school on fire during a Yankees game. Then the phrase became a book. Then the book became a miniseries. Then the miniseries became a Booyah Network commodity. Then the Booyah commodity became a Booyah catchphrase.

Booyah!

How do you feel about the reports that the Phillies are interested in Curt Shilling, Mariano Rivera, and Mike Lowell?

1. Curt Schilling is one of the few ex-Phillies not shit on by the fanbase. He had good numbers and good peripherals this season pitching in Fenway Park. More importantly, he may desire a one-year contract. It's a much better deal than giving a multi-year deal for mediocrity.

2. Mariano Rivera is the greatest closer of our time. No contest.

3. I hesitate on Mike Lowell because I fear the Phils will overpay for a big year to improve an offense that really doesn't need help. Lowell was less impressive away from Fenway. There are guys who do a lot of work on batted balls, so the Phils will have much more information on the number of balls that would pass the short fence at Citizens Bank Park. I would be more inclined to take a look at Pedro Feliz. His OBP is dreadful, but he'd be cheaper, his defense is excellent, and he has pop. This team already led the league in runs scored, OBP and slugging percentage. How much do you need to sweat the offense?

Any chance the Phils go after Dontrelle Willis I wouldnt mind letting Rowand go if they get Schilling, Rivera & Willis.

I don't know that you'd want Willis. The last two seasons have kind of soured me on him. His walks are going completely in the wrong direction.

Any chance the Phils go after Dontrelle Willis I wouldnt mind letting Rowand go if they get Schilling, Rivera & Willis.

I don't know that you'd want Willis. The last two seasons have kind of soured me on him. His walks are going completely in the wrong direction.

Willis looks like a #4 starter on a good team. He's all name recognition at this point.

Maybe a good pitching coach could turn him around but his peripherals suggest that his best years are already behind him.

He's got a 7.14 ERA in eight starts at Citizens Bank Park. He hasn't demonstrated elite skills in a couple of years, and at the end of the season he was downright awful.

The Os are playing the Cubs June 24-26 at Wrigley Field next year..first time the Os have played there I do believe.

Im thinking seriously of going.

Are you sure? What if it's not in high definition?

The Os are playing the Cubs June 24-26 at Wrigley Field next year..first time the Os have played there I do believe.

Im thinking seriously of going.

Are you sure? What if it's not in high definition?

uhh..

??

Maybe by then Directv will have WGN HD and they'll show one of the games..but..Id rather go see them there LIVE so it wouldnt matter.