TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Guest Bigelow34

I can't believe these morons won't give him the extra year. You need to WIN NOW. Who gives a shit about 6 years from now? He will generate so much money, it will offset that extra year anyway, plus you have your own TV network and a brand new stadium. If the Mets blow this, they may be the dumbest franchise in sports history. They are getting him for garbage players...just pay him.

I have to think they're close to finishing this extension. Surely the Mets don't want CitiField burned to the ground before we can get to 2009.

I'm really, really, really pissed right now. Something better get done. I honestly can't believe the Mets are sapping the excitement out of trading for Johan Santana.

Of course they are. The top pitcher in the game just falls into their lap and they have no idea what to do with him.

It's like the Wilpons were taken by surprise on what Johan wanted. He always wanted six years! This shouldn't have come as a shock! Didn't they know when they dealt for him that he wanted record money?

According to Ken Rosenthal from FOXSports.com, during an appearance on SNY’s Daily News Live, Johan Santana is in the room with Mets representatives and his agents while negotiating a seven-year deal with an eighth-year option.

Credit: MetsBlog

At the moment, I'm not even that concerned with how much he's getting - the fact that he's a Met now is good enough for me.

I think it'll be hilarious if after all of this nonsense Santana ends up failing the physical.

I don't know who was more likely to cave in that contract dispute. Santana, who would be trapped with the hapless Twins this year and risking injury that could cripple his career, let alone his free agent value (not to mention the fact that there's no way they're as 'good' as they have been, so he was probably set for a down year stats-wise); or the Mets, who would become a laughingstock for having a one-sided trade land them the best pitcher of the decade only to blow it by being frugal with the YEARS of the contract, rather than the dollar amount actually being paid.

Guest NYankees

The woman who was killed in the car accident with Jim Leyritz was over two times the legal limit for Blood Alcohol level in Florida. Which means that this woman was putting other drivers at risk by driving home drunk.

Just ordered my spring training tickets. March 1st against the Dodgers. That'll be kind of cool, because I live in Jacksonville and the Dodgers have a farm affiliate here (I can't remember if its A or AA). Maybe I can see Clayton Kersahw pitch some minor league games. Really looking forward to actually seeing Fernando Martinez play. Other than that, I don't really know of any young mets prospects I should be on the look out for.

Guest Blue Man Czech
The woman who was killed in the car accident with Jim Leyritz was over two times the legal limit for Blood Alcohol level in Florida. Which means that this woman was putting other drivers at risk by driving home drunk.

See? Leyritz was doing a public service by killing her before she could kill someone else!

Santana passed his physical, so that makes everything official. The numbers I've seen on the contract are (including 2008) 7 years/$150.5 million. Not too bad, especially considering that a lot of estimates had him going for six years at the same price.

Edit: Scratch that, apparently it's 6 years/$137.5 million.

You know who's probably really happy right about now? CC Sabathia.

I was thinking Bedard..

If the offers for him were better than what the Mets gave up for Santana..

I doubt Bedard would get a 7 year contract but the money would probably be in the same neighborhood. 90 million for like 5 years? Sadly Ive given up on the Os resigning him and almost given up on them trading him this year. They better hope he doesnt get hurt or something stupid so they can deal him next year.

See? Leyritz was doing a public service by killing her before she could kill someone else!

When I saw this NYankees post on Friday, I tried to think of something smart to say about it. Then I gave up and thought, "eh, I'm sure Czech will get to it." Thank you, Czech.

ESPN confirmed the Orioles are getting Adam Jones and George Sherrill plus THREE other prospects for Erik Bedard. Trade is apparently done pending Jones and Sherrill passing their physicals.

sounds good..but..Im not gonna get hyped up til its 100% done.

What are you hearing about the Roberts trade, Marvin?

Everything Ive heard was that he would get traded somewhere soon after any Bedard trade was made.

There were even rumors he was going to Seattle..which could be the reason why its 5 players from Seattle instead of 4.