TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Smallville: Season 7

I liked the new episode as a kind of lesson to Clark about why he has to keep his identity a secret. It was a pretty fun watch. Funny how the show gets right back in stride when Lana leaves again. I feel like, aside from the Lana arc, this season has moved the show more in the direction of what I always thought the show could be. I'm also far more intrigued by Lois and Clark than I could ever have been by Lana and Clark.

Indeed, Lois and Clark have much more chemistry. For a "turn back the clock" episode, this was pretty good.

The only thing I didn't like was how quickly everyone turned on Clark...a trashy gossip column writer slings some accusations and suddenly cops are trying to shoot him? I guess there wasn't time for a lengthy attack on his reputation, but it was a bit silly.

I was thinking about that while I was watching it and I thought about it in terms of the show...he's not Superman yet...no one knows anything really about his good deeds other than he saved Lois and Jimmy caught a picture of it. I doubt he would gloat to Lois about everything he's done for 8 seasons in that article...so it's basically just that he's not like them and he's better in every way... and I could see how people could be turned to not trust him quickly. BTW...how does Lois Lane ever expect to be a great reporter with a headline like that?

I thought it served a nice purpose. It's would have been easy and cliche for him to just decide to create a sperate identity...at least now there's a reason why he does it. That's what I've been liking about the show without Lana. When she's there...it's Dawson's Creek. When she's not they start thinking of ways to put him on the path he ends up on and giving resonance behind the deicisions that you know he makes in the future.

I know I just feel it was a cheap cop out and almost a waste of an episode. All of that to figure out that he really can't tell people who he is (something he's been against all these years anyway) and to kill off Linda Lake..