TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

OAO 2007 No Mercy Thread

Remember how HHH/Orton was supposed to be the WM main event 4 years straight? Imagine if they actually had that match at WM? If they can hold off on doing a rematch until then, they could have pretty good expectations.

Well if we go by that line of thinking, HHH isn't an 11-time WWE champ either.

They never said he was...

11 Time Champ

6 WWE

5 World

Funtime star ratings ahoy:

Punjabi prison was good for what it was. Not much for workrate but, surprisingly enough, psychology was involved rather heavily. Overall match was probably ** max, but if you only take into account Batista/Khali matches it's at least ****1/4, maybe ****1/2; the best of the bunch and probably the top one they'll ever have.

Finlay/Mysterio was pretty good, and the fake injury play was top-notch and very refreshingly different from the usual. *** for the match + 3/4* for that dastardly Finlay turning the crowd from "Finlay" to "Finlay sucks" in less than 20 seconds.

Beth/Candice was an above average women's title match. **1/2

Punk/BDV seemed to set up a Striker/BDV split-up, which probably foreshadows BDV's move to Smackdown. I still don't see how Morrison comes in and gets a title match, though, as Dreamer has the inside track with Burke just behind him; Morrison could jump in on a rematch clause but that's about all he could use. DUD

Unexplained six-man tag was very good, and the innovative spots (Murdoch jumping on the middle rope to send Kendrick tumbling to the outside, for one) gave this one a fitting "surprise MOTN" award on my score sheet. ***3/4, it lost 1/4* for the blown spots near the end (specifically Hardy's rail-runner lunge at Cade that barely connected, but there were a couple more)

Orton/HHH I was somewhat lame, although HHH really did put Orton over relatively strongly, winning on a cheap rollup off an Orton mistake instead of a cleaner, more dominantly decisive finish. **1/4

Umaga/HHH was meh. Nothing we haven't seen before. *1/2

Orton/HHH II gets overall MOTN. Could have been the full monty on my scorecard if not for a few continuity failures (Orton backs away from the injured rib area and just randomly starts hammering on the head; neither worker went for the legs/knees to try to make them physically incapable of standing; the ECW table breaks when Orton gets shoved off an RKO onto it, but the RAW table stands tall while HHH gets RKOed into it?; Orton heavily over-sold the plunge through the ECW table, one bad bump shouldn't put you on even footing with the guy who's in his third match of the evening)

Orton/HHH II conclusions: Match itself is *****, -1/2* for the continuity/logic errors above, +1/4* for sticking with the "He's up at 9.999999" for the last dozen spots (they did have the miraculous recovery spot when HHH caught the PUNT~!, but as soon as a count was administered on him, he immediately went back to his suffering and maintained kayfabe on it), as well as tying it in to the match's finishing spot with HHH nearly beating the count. Final star rating ****3/4

Unweighted show rating: **1/2

Weighted show rating (with more weight in title matches and climactic finishes) ***1/2 with Punk match, ****1/4 with it excluded

Thumbs about 80% up; not a rip-off by any means at the $35 face value, but if you were to find it cheaper (I spent $5 on it, for example) you won't be disappointed. Plus the fact that it went the full three hours unlike some other WWE PPVs that will remain nameless gives it that much greater value in the long run.

WHY ARE WE ALL YELLING

LOUD NOISES!

I LOVE LAMP!

THIS TOPIC NEEDS MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to watch the LMS again without the suspense and see if it holds up but it was certainly a nail biter because they could have honestly gone either way.

Pizza eating contest: -*****

MVP got a score of 0, so he didn't eat any pizza (and rightly so, that was some odd-looking orange pizza)

Matt "ate" pizza, but then "puked" it all over MVP, so in reality he didn't eat any pizza either.

I mentioned this earlier but I'm shocked that after all this time, WWE never brought Kobayashi in for a food eating skit with V or Henry.

The man has standards.

Guest cheetoe

That HHH/Oton last man standing match was really, REALLY great. I guess it's to much to ask that HHH just fade into the background for a while Orton builds himself up into a top tier heel... Then again, there aren't many other faces he could fued with on RAW right now. To bad Jericho didn't return tonight in some way. He would have fit the bill perfectly.

I don't think that Punk is ever going to get a chance to really shine in the WWE under the bigger spotlight of a PPV or RAW/Smackdown. He seems to have PPV quality matches on ECW TV and then when it comes to the PPV's it's always shorter, less dramatic matches with less time, not to mention the losses in the PPV title matches leading into tonight. To bad, because he's being wasted. :(

Overall not a bad show, but I dont know the explanation why whoever is the person being noted in the save_us promos didnt show up here in some capacity. Just an idea by WWE to add the ppv date in those clips to tease whoever might debut here?

I thought both HHH/Orton matches were certainly good (1st one) to great (LMS at a solid ****) and the rest of the show was hit and miss. Punjabi was better than I expected, six man was fun, ECW match was a complete waste of time and still would have much seen Dreamer/Punk in even a 10 minute match, HHH/Umaga was rather standard, womens match was passable, Finlay/Rey was good but I would have liked to see the match actually continue upon Finlay staging the injury.

I have this horrible feeling that Orton is going to hold the belt until WM. I'm begging for the challenger there to be Jericho, but who knows. I can't see it being HHH since they already did it twice tonight and surely again at Cyber Sunday. Shawn might come back to be that lame duck Rumble type challenger for Orton, then let Jericho win the Rumble and go for the title at WM.

I'm glad someone else thought of Sting vs. DDP to compare to this. It's funny but those who read the General Wrestling forum know my thoughts on THAT fiasco for WCW (I think it was more of a business killer than the Fingerpoke of Doom).

BEST FUCKING PPV OF THE YEAR HAND DOWN!

So fucking glad Orton finally became champion again. Some things truly are worth waiting for. Props to HHH, after having this sick feeling in my stomach about him holding the title until Mania again, he does the right thing and puts RKO over big time!

:headbang:

I gotta give HHH props for sure like some here. He really didnt make Orton look too bad in the first match, and put him over rather strong in the main event. I am hoping, but not expecting them, to just drop any possible Orton-HHH rematch at all as I wouldnt mind Orton as champ for a bit, and then transitioning it over to a face Jericho down the road here.

John Morrison might have a shitty gimmick and horrendous mic skills, but at least he doesn't do headlocks for 50% of a match.

Note that I didn't say that this booking tonight was going to end up as bad as WCW's did with DDP in 1999, mainly because WWE at least has some vague notion of what the hell they are doing. Where WCW blew it was not really doing anything with DDP after that, they just jobbed him to Nash at the next PPV and that was that. If they had kept it on DDP and tried to at least get him over as champ maybe things would have been different, instead of the musical chairs they did with the world title in 1999. Even a really boring and dreary Orton title run would be more healthy than that WCW booking.

NO MERCY THOUGHTS:

Bad show with a great main event.

EXCELLENT main event. Perfectly excuted and makes Orton legit now. At least as legit as the guy who gets the belt after Cena without beating him can be.

The Punjabi Match was better than it should have been, but still not very exciting. Spider-Batista!

The 6-Man was botched all over the place, and Kennedy looked terrible. Disappointing.

Women's Match finish was weak. Average. That promo was horrendous.

Trips/Orton I was okay. Good booking.

Pizza Eating was god awful. Taker/Kane needed to chokeslam both of them through the table.

Triple H/Umaga was dissapointing. Umaga needs quicker bumpers.

Finlay/Rey was average. Stretcher Match at Cyber Sunday I reckon.

This wasn't the PPV of the year, Deon. One really good match doesn't make for PPVOTY.

Aside from The Royal Rumble and Backlash, the rest of the PPVs this year have been pure crap IMO.

Now with Orton being the champ, I hope they finally let destroy that fucking belt spinner belt tomorrow night or at least throw it in the garbage where it belongs.

Fun-Time Star Ratings

Triple H/Orton I - ** 1/2

Jeff Hardy & LonDrick Vs. Kennedy & Redneck Wrecking Crew - * 1/2

Punk/BDV - *

Rey/Finlay - **

Triple H/Umaga - **

Candice/Phoenix - * 1/2

Batista/Khali - * 1/2

Triple H/Orton Last Man Standing - ****

This wasn't the PPV of the year, Deon. One really good match doesn't make for PPVOTY.

Aside from The Royal Rumble and Backlash, the rest of the PPVs this year have been pure crap IMO.

Now with Orton being the champ, I hope they finally let destroy that fucking belt spinner belt tomorrow night or at least throw it in the garbage where it belongs.

Driven is hands down the PPV of the year with Backlash being the top WWE thus far. The spinner belt is done. It's just a blinged out belt that suits the direction WWE has been following for years, desperately out of touch.

Went to hooters for this. Hands down the worst ppv of the year. WWE can't find their ass with both hands.