TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

American Gangster

I always laugh at those episodes, which obviously was not their intention. Maybe it has to do with context, though. Fresh Prince was, by and large, a pretty silly show, so seeing these serious themes stuck in, and oftentimes surrounded by admittedly less capable actors, makes them come off fairly absurd.

His tears came off funny in the one with his father. The Carlton OD was probably the fault of Carlton, anyway, plus bringing to mind that awful Saved By the Bell episode did it no favors.

Will just kinda yelled alot in the episode about his father.

The thing that makes those shows funny is that they are filmed in front of a audience that came to laugh, so they kinda have no idea what to do when the drama comes.

Will is a good actor, don't get me wrong, and like Lushus said, Pursuit of Happyness was great(I actually agree with his Oscar nomination there), but he has a tendacy to sound like he is reading script and his dialogue, if not written correctly, sounds forced and fake.

Denzel is easily one of the greatest actors of this generation. Will....not so much.

Oh I loved that movie. Once Jack Bauers dad says "That is the right question" and the new robots start kicking the shit out the old ones, that movie is incredibly good.

Almost made me forget "THE GODDAMN ROBOTS JOHN!!!" and "DO YOU THINK I GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK" and the horrible way he got the lines across.

I kinda liked I, Robot too, but the one thing that always bothers me about it is when they have to climb up all those stairs when the robot could have easily carried them on his back.

That and the absolutely shameless Chuck Taylor product placement. That was pretty low. I thought the Dr. Pepper shit they did in Spider-man was bad until I saw that.

The Wizard is so full of shit it's not even funny...how did that bitch know there was a warp whistle in that level, the game is brand new!

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad!"

Go back and watch the earlier episodes of The Fresh Prince...

You can spot Will lip-synching the other characters lines as they say it...

He definately came a long way from that. But he's got a long way to go

to even get close to Denzel IMO.

I don't mind the product placement stuff if it is actually a part of the film itself. I mean in The Wizard the plot of the movie is that the kid goes to play Nintendo games at a competition, so it stands to reason that Nintendo games are all over the movie. Lushus, you are dead right about the warp zone though. There is NO WAY anyone would ever think of doing that.

Harold and Kumar has the greatest product placement ever. Right after seeing that movie I flat out had to go to White Castle.

Harold and Kumar has the greatest product placement ever. Right after seeing that movie I flat out had to go to White Castle.

It took me like 4 years but I finally made it there this summer after waiting for so long. And it was worth every minute of the 3 hour drive..we even had some of our own "Harold and Kumar" type moments where we were almost there and then got into a dilemma.

Anyways, to get back on topic, when I first saw the preview for this movie I asked my friend "Has Denzel ever done a bad movie?" and his answer was no. Every Denzel movie I've seen has been good-incredible and he really is one of the best actors of our time. I definitely want to see this movie, if only for him.

Fallen? Please explain. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie if memory serves me right. This was many years ago, but tell me what I didn't see that I should have shit on.

how can I tell YOU what to like and not like about a movie? I didn't care for the movie, it's concept. It bored me. If it didn't bore YOU, fantastic!

I didn't like it either, despite there being a lot of actors I like in it, so it must have been doing something wrong. Besides Denzel, there was John Goodman, Donald Sutherland, James Gandolfini, Elias Koteas, all of whom I generally like watching.

You want a bad Denzel movie, though, look at The Bone Collector. That movie sucked. I'll give it credit for two things though: Michael Rooker was not the villain, and usually him just being in a movie means you assume he will be the villain (James Caan is the same way), and a character who was a gay white man in the book was played by Queen Latifah. I thought that was funny.

Nah, I thought it was decent and I know others who liked it.

Fun fact: there's a bus stop not too far from here which still has a "coming soon" poster for Deja Vu up to this day.

You want a bad Denzel movie, though, look at The Bone Collector. That movie sucked. I'll give it credit for two things though: Michael Rooker was not the villain, and usually him just being in a movie means you assume he will be the villain (James Caan is the same way)

For some reason, I was thinking of David Morse when you said this...

I honestly don't think there is a denzel movie you can call bad. Some aren't as good as others of course, but bad? eh. Not since he became a really good actor.

Fallen was not cool.

Ricochet featured him catching the clap from a prostitute as part of the revenge. That was awesome. I liked that movie, I can understand why some don't like it, bit it was still wasn't BAD.

Bone Collector was kinda on the low end, but still...I wouldn't call it horrible.

I wasnt a fan of Carbon Copy, but still. Not BAD...just not my cup of tea.

Plus, Denzel was in one of the greatest movies of all time so he gets a pass on anything that you might not have liked.

Yes, but Grier was perfect in that move. "Petey, you can't whoop the Sarge!"

And Adolph Caesar's "Moonshine, King of the Monkeys" story and the "day of the geechie is gone" speeches made this movie incredible.

And why have I never heard of that movie?