TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jotumare

NJPW vs TNA at Tokyo Dome

Guest jotumare

Credit: puroresufan.com

New Japan and Total Nonstop Action (TNA) will go to war on 1/4 at the Tokyo Dome! President Sugabayashi and Tiger Hattori held a press conference last night to discuss the 1/4 show, and the president announced that after Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar for the IWGP 3rd Belt, New Japan had asked TNA to return it. TNA offered no response, so New Japan sent Hattori to speak with Jeff Jarrett about it. This is where sides agreed that the best way for New Japan to regain its property would be in the form of a war with TNA at "WRESTLE KINGDOM IN TOKYO DOME II" on January 4th, 2008. Sugabayashi outlined his intention to have the IWGP belts defended on the show, as well as TNA's X Division Title. Depending on other matters, the 1/4 card could become a complete confrontation war between New Japan and TNA. Sugabayashi wants the IWGP 3rd Belt back and acknowledged the abnormality of having two titles with practically the same name. Kurt Angle will return to New Japan, holding the title Brock Lesnar left with. But who will step up to the plate and risk his company's name to try and take down one of the world's most famous pro wrestlers?

not sure is this goes here or in the "Other Promotions" forum.

This is very interesting news, i wanna see Joe vs Nagata, Shelley vs Millano Collection AT, Angle vs Nakamura (or Nagata) and AJ vs Tanahashi :P

Any chance that a Tanahashi vs. Angle unification match could happen?

That's no doubt going to happen.

I'd love to see this show, but I'm not back over there until March. :(

They should tape it and either show it on PPV or release it on DVD (maybe both). I would get this show for sure.

To have shows where talent goes back and forth would make for some interesting TV. I would love to see some NJPW guys coming over and winning some titles. It would make for some unpredictable TV to say the least.

TNA has utterly fucked up every single time they tried to deal with any Japanese company at all. Remember Jarrett vs. Hogan, the different problems with Liger, "Omori no do job to champ!", bringing in Mutoh for absolutely no reason, and oh yeah introducing America to the giant load of suck called Kenzo Suzuki. It certainly doesn't help that they keep speed-dating with different companies over and over again, which must piss off the other Japanese feds seeing TNA hop into bed with anyone who buys them a drink.

I'm confused. I thought Angle's IWGP belt was Inoki's "Genome Federation" world title, and not really connected to New Japan (other than sharing the same name). I thought it was IGF's belt and not New Japan's.

I'm confused. I thought Angle's IWGP belt was Inoki's "Genome Federation" world title, and not really connected to New Japan (other than sharing the same name). I thought it was IGF's belt and not New Japan's.

It's technically the legal property of NJPW, which Lesnar took off with - I think because he was owed money.

IGF only somehow brokered a deal with Lesnar to drop the belt to Angle, but it still technically belongs to NJPW and is only connected to IGF soley due to the fact that the title changed hands on one of their shows. Besides, it says IWGP in big letters on the front so I can see why NJPW'd want it back.

So Angle has to job a title to a guy from another promotion. TNA's going to break Panda's bank shipping in enough guys to run-in on that finish unless Angle gets his way.

Also, nice to see that a Japanese federation has to send someone across the ocean to talk to Jarrett because TNA can't be bothered to send an email or return a call.

They should tape it and either show it on PPV or release it on DVD (maybe both). I would get this show for sure.

This would make for a nice TNA "Clash of the Champions" type special on Spike on an off day of the week, IMO. Would be interesting to see how it would fare running head to head with Raw on a Monday, even.

Any updates on a lineup yet? Knowing NJPW, we probably wont have anything official until two weeks from the event.

Give it away for free? Are you guys crazy?

Why not - its one of the more stronger ideas to draw interest as a singular "Clash" style event for the company. The difference between people who watch TNA on Spike and actually get ppvs is pretty large, so it would be more of a benefit to them to have it free to turn more people onto the product overall. They could still release it on DVD afterwards, perhaps do it kind of like ROH does with their ppvs. Have it condensed down to two hours on TV, and then release the DVD with the complete show from top to bottom.

The problem is if you give it away for new fans to get attracted, they'll want to see more TNA/NJPW crossovers (if this event hooked them, that is).

Then have one of the normal TNA ppvs be a follow up to it with some NJPW guys invading TNA, etc.

The problem is if you give it away for new fans to get attracted, they'll want to see more TNA/NJPW crossovers (if this event hooked them, that is).

Then have one of the normal TNA ppvs be a follow up to it with some NJPW guys invading TNA, etc.

Ok go set that up. It's easier said than done.

Does Liger still work for NJPW?

Ok go set that up. It's easier said than done.

Don't use it to book a proper domestic TNA/NJPW pay per view. Just use it to furthur or start angles in TNA, like wrestler A giving wrestler B shit for losing a match at the Tokyo Dome or have your top TNA guys do the whole partner gets mad at other partner for costing them the match at the big show.

Well, it`s not about that particular show but it fits the topic so:

On Sunday, November 11, the superstars of Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling will travel to Japan’s Ryogoku Arena to compete in an “Interpromotional War” against New Japan Pro Wrestling.

“The War Machine” Rhino, “The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels, Senshi and Ron “The Truth” Killings will represent TNA Wrestling that night in bouts against the stars of New Japan Pro Wrestling.

credit: TNAWrestling.com

The idea for the Jan 4 show is apparently, according to this week's WON, to have all NJPW and TNA titles on the line. What that might mean is that it will be TNA guys v. TNA guys and vice versa, but who knows.

The Nov 11 show sounds interesting with interpromotional matches scheduled.

New Japan announced the matches for the 11/11 show. It goes like this:

Rhino vs. Toru Yano

Christopher Daniels & Senshi vs. Minoru & Prince Devitt

Ron Killings vs. Tiger Mask IV

Devitt`s pretty good IMHO. He hasn`t really been allowed to shine much but what I have seen I`ve really liked. Yano`s ok, I guess. He`s certainly nothing special, just your avarage midcard heel. Him and Rhino could be a decent little brawl. Devitt/Milano vs Senshi/Daniels definately sounds like the best match out of the bunch.

I'm not terribly up to date on my NJPW undercard. Are either Yano or Devitt noteworthy for any reason?

Devitt is great. He's also known as Wild Pegasus 2/Pegasus Kid 2 in NJPW's Wrestleland - though I'm not sure if he's doing that gimmick anymore after all the shit that went down with Benoit. He's even changed his appearance (bleached his hair) to lessen the comparisons that he's received since he broke into the business. Either way, a great wrestler and very charismatic - the fact that he's a fellow Irishman doesn't hurt, either. My buddy and I actually met him outside the Tokyo Dome Geopolis once - really nice guy - "I thought I saw a couple of white guys in the crowd tonight" :lol:

http://www.puroresucentral.com/devitt.html

http://www.puroresufan.com/roster/devitt.php

http://www.puroresufan.com/images/wlpegasus.jpg

I like Yano. He puts on a good brawl, and a match with Rhino should be great. Though I almost wish it was Togi Makabe taking on Rhino. Makabe is like a Japanese hybrid of Hercules Hernandez and Bruiser Brody, but he's got a great technical background as well - he's just more prone to choking you out with his chain these days. :)

Yano: http://www.puroresucentral.com/yano.html , http://www.puroresufan.com/roster/yano.php

Makabe: http://www.puroresucentral.com/makabe.html , http://www.puroresufan.com/roster/makabe.php

New Japan announced the matches for the 11/11 show. It goes like this:

Rhino vs. Toru Yano

Christopher Daniels & Senshi vs. Minoru & Prince Devitt

Ron Killings vs. Tiger Mask IV

I can see that being a pretty good show.