TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/25 - 10/29

Interesting week as all four BCS conference unbeatens could potentially lose this week with of course Boston College having the toughest challenge with the trip to Blacksburg. FSN lucks into getting both of the huge games in the Pac-10 this week. Also have a very rare ESABCPN tripleheader with two regional games and a national primetime game although there is no reverse mirror game.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

THURSDAY

#2 Boston College at #8 Virginia Tech, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

Air Force at New Mexico, 9:00/6:00 PM, Versus

FRIDAY

Boise State at Fresno State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

#7 West Virginia at Rutgers, Noon/9:00 AM, ABC*

Colorado at Texas Tech, Noon/9:00 AM, ABC*

Michigan State at Iowa, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

#12 USC at #5 Oregon, 3:00 PM/Noon, FSN

#11 Florida vs. #18 Georgia, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

Nebraska at #19 Texas, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#10 South Florida at #23 Connecticut, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Clemson at Maryland, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

UCLA at Washington State, 6:30/3:30 PM, FSN

#9 Kansas at Texas A&M, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#16 South Carolina at Tennessee, 7:45/4:45 PM, ESPN

#1 Ohio State at #25 Penn State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC

#21 California at #4 Arizona State, 10:00/7:00 PM, FSN

SUNDAY

UCF at Southern Miss, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Digital Cable/Satellite/Gameplan Schedule

SATURDAY

Indiana at Wisconsin, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Northwestern at Purdue, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Ball State at Illinois, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

North Carolina at Wake Forest, Noon/9:00 AM, LFS*/GP

Pittsburgh at Louisville, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Mississippi State at #14 Kentucky, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, LFS*/GP

Delaware at Navy, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CSTV

UNLV at Wyoming, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

Arizona at Washington, 3:00 PM/Noon, FCS Pacific

Louisiana Tech at Utah State, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

Minnesota at #20 Michigan, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPN Classic

#15 Virginia at N.C. State, 4:30/1:30 PM, ESPNU

Rice at Marshall, 4:30/1:30 PM, CSTV

Idaho at Nevada, 5:00/2:00 PM, GP

Utah at Colorado State, 5:30/2:30 PM, Mtn.

Mississippi at #22 Auburn, 6:00/3:00 PM, GP

Ohio at Bowling Green, 6:00/3:00 PM, GP

Troy at Arkansas State, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Duke at Florida State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPNU

All Other Div. I-A Games

SATURDAY

Akron at Buffalo

Central Michigan at Kent State

FIU at Arkansas

Iowa State at #13 Missouri

Miami of Ohio at Vanderbilt

SMU at Tulsa

Memphis at Tulane

UAB at East Carolina

Western Michigan at Eastern Michigan

Baylor at Kansas State

Louisiana-Monroe at Florida Atlantic

Stanford at Oregon State

Middle Tennessee at North Texas

Northern Illinois at Toledo

Houston at UTEP

New Mexico State at #17 Hawaii

Interesting week as all four BCS conference unbeatens could potentially lose this week with of course Boston College having the toughest challenge with the trip to Blacksburg. FSN lucks into getting both of the huge games in the Pac-10 this week. Also have a very rare ESABCPN tripleheader with two regional games and a national primetime game although there is no reverse mirror game.

Well, guess I'll be sleeping in this Saturday. On the one hand, it's too bad as I kinda wanted to see WVU/Rutgers, but on the other hand, with ESPN now having a football game every single night of the week, I've been watching enough that it's probably not a bad idea to have a couple hours off here and there. I'm not too worried about no reverse mirror game at noon since I'm going to be glued to the USC/Oregon game from start to finish or at least until the Ducks go up by 30 points in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

The one Ducks game I really wanted to go to and I'm going to be at a wedding in southern California for the weekend. With an Oregon win, there will be much trash talking. With a loss...open bar, there will be trash talking anyways.

The fires down here this week probably killed USC's conditioning. They're going to get ran out of the stadium now.

The fires down here this week probably killed USC's conditioning. They're going to get ran out of the stadium now.

I live right down the street from USC, and the air quality doesn't really seem to be that much worse than every other day, so unless Pete Carroll isn't running them for some other reason, I don't really see why their conditioning would be an issue.

BYU/San Diego State game has been postponed until the final week of the season due to the fires.

Thought it would be kind of interesting to track the Bottom 10 BCS conference teams according to the average BCS computer rankings. First here's the roll call of "champions" since the BCS started in 1998.

1998: Temple (103rd overall)

1999: Rutgers (106)

2000: Duke (101)

2001: Duke (106)

2002: Rutgers (113)

2003: Temple (108)

2004: Vanderbilt (107)

2005: Duke (109)

2006: Duke (118)

Last season Duke finished next to last to FIU, the closest a BCS team has come to finishing as the worst team in the country.

And here's the current race for the worst BCS team.

1. Iowa State (108)

2. Minnesota (100)

3. Arizona (96)

4. Washington State (92)

5. Syracuse (91)

6. Baylor (85)

7. Mississippi (83)

8. N.C. State (82)

9t. Duke (80)

9t. Iowa (80)

Duke has a lot of work to do if they want to get the three-peat. Notre Dame is currently 79th overall purely because of their schedule.

So here's an interesting tidbit. If Oregon and ASU win, tOSU and BC lose, then the next week it could be #3 ASU vs #4 Oregon. Unfortunately due to the shittiest tv contract in America, the game would only be on in Arizona and Oregon. Worst...television contract...ever!

So here's an interesting tidbit. If Oregon and ASU win, tOSU and BC lose, then the next week it could be #3 ASU vs #4 Oregon. Unfortunately due to the shittiest tv contract in America, the game would only be on in Arizona and Oregon. Worst...television contract...ever!

Wouldnt that be #2 and #3? LSU would become #1 and Oregon and ASU would both move up. tOSU would probably move in behind, somewhere. Also, fuck that TV contract. Maybe I'll drive to Arizona. LA will probably be on fire by then anyway.

The problem is ESPN/ABC decided to reserve two Pac-10 games for that week before the season started. Now one of them is Oregon State/USC which one could understand as a possible game of interest since the Beavers beat USC last year but for some reason the other game they reserved is UCLA/Arizona. Now the game might be available on Gameplan since the local Oregon broadcasts do have a deal with ESPN for their games but still a complete joke that the game won't be available on free t.v. anywhere except locally.

FCS Games... Bracketed records are their conference records. A lot of good in conference matchups this week.

12:00 PM - The Citadel (3-1) vs. Georgia Southern (2-2)

12:05 PM - Richmond (3-1) vs. James Madison (4-0)

12:30 PM - Dartmouth (2-1) vs. Harvard (3-0)

01:00 PM - Iona (1-0) vs. Duquesne (1-0)

01:00 PM - Albany (2-0) vs. Wagner (3-1)

01:00 PM - San Diego (4-0) vs. Dayton (3-1)

FCS vs. FBS 01:00 PM - Delaware vs. Navy

01:30 PM - Delaware State (5-0) vs. SC State (4-1)

FCS Game of the Week - 06:05 PM - Montana (4-0) vs. Northern Arizona (4-1)

07:00 PM - Eastern Illinois (4-1) vs. Tennessee State (2-1)

07:00 PM - Nicholls State (2-1) vs. Central Arkansas (3-1)

That TD was bullshit. The unsportsmanlike conduct call was bad enough, but then the receiver was clearly out of bounds before he had possession. It's a shame to see a gift 7 points like that in such a close game.

I think too many of the replay judges are afraid to make a call. It's like it has to be obvious to a blind man or they just go with what the referee said. Going on another ACC example, the first down rush for Virginia on the final drive vs. Maryland last night should clearly clearly have been overturned and the fact that it wasn't changed the course of the game.

Yeah, the TD call was bullshit.

I got home right before the penalty against BC and just shook my head. A defensive player getting hyped over a stop and quieting the crowd is nothing to throw a flag at.

I can't understand why BC won't run the ball. They've had some success when they've actually tried it and dropping back to throw every single play on the soggy field is obviously not working very well.

Right on cue, it's time for the misty-eyed testimonial wherein blank-faced VT students go on about how football kept them from killing themselves or something.

God this game is a slog.

Edit: Glad I stuck around to watch that touchdown, though. Hell of a throw.

Edit two: And a recovered onside kick. Hot damn.

Unbelievable! Matt Ryan looked terrible all game until the last two drives and made about four or five incredible throws. Huge win for Boston College. They don't look like a team that can run the table but this was their toughest game left with back-to-back road games against Maryland and Clemson being their biggest roadblock now before the ACC title game where it might be a rematch against the Hokies.