-Benoit

-hearing about Bret Hart going to WCW a week before Survivor Series 97

-Hogan leaving for WCW

-Hogan's heel turn

-Bret's heel turn, even though you knew it was coming

-Cena making HHH tap at WM22

what WON'T shock me:

Angle and/or Mysterio dying in the next two years

I'm not including any deaths (though I can tell you exactly where I was when I heard of Owen, Bossman, Eddie, and Benoit).

- Survivor Series 97. I didn't have the Internet or anything at this point, and absolutely idolized Bret as a kid. I didn't know anything about even the concept of him leaving, and remember my DX mark buddy running up to me at school the next morning and telling me that HBK won and Bret was going to WCW. I had even called my dad the day before Montreal and asked him to buy tickets to a house show in Niagara Falls, NY, that would have featured Bret, Owen, and Davey, against three guys I can't remember. I just remember calling because I wanted to see Bret wrestle so badly.

- As a then eight-year-old mark, I was stunned when Yoko beat Hogan at KotR 93.

- At the height of my markdom at 14, I still remember being amazed when HHH beat the casket that The Rock was "in" on a Raw in May 99.

Speaking of caskets, that reminds me of a few things.

1. When Taker was going to "embalm" Austin.

2. When Taker crucified Austin. I thought that one was a little over the line.

Randy Orton hits the RKO on Taker at 21... I was SCARED!!!

Benoit Tragedy

Eddies Passing

Owen's Tragedy

Edge Cashing in MITB at NYR

Kurt Angle in TNA

One that shocked me as a kid:

The Undertaker locking The Ultimate Warrior in the casket. I had to go to bed right after that aired, and it freaked me out.

Undertaker raising to the ceiling during the Royal Rumble after losing the casket match to Yokozuna.

I was shocked at how lame it was.

Undertaker raising to the ceiling during the Royal Rumble after losing the casket match to Yokozuna.

HA!! It was 1994!!!

I didn't see that PPV live but I talked to a friend that saw it and his mind was blown as to how bizarre that whole UT angle was.

As far as Edge at NYR, I didn't find it shocking at all. On the PPV they basically telegraph what he is going to do since he simply got himself DQed vs. Flair and had a bit with Lita saying he "had other things on his mind."

Guest TheFabulousJakey

*Brock Lesnar showing up at the end of Raw to give an F-5 to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin leading up to WrestleMania XX. It was shocking because a) I didn't think Austin would take such bumps anymore, and B) This was in year #2 of the brand extension when they were really working at separating the brands, so at that time it was a huge deal for a Smackdown guy to show up at the end of Raw.

*Sable interrupting Torrie Wilson's promo after WrestleMania XIX ... I wasn't exactly a 'smart mark' then, but I was still shocked they kept it under wraps on the free sites.

*Triple H marrying Stephanie (kayfabe) -- and then her heel turn actually making sense.

HA!! It was 1994!!!

What does 1994 have to do with it?

The Eric Bischoff being the minister at the gay wedding on Smackdown was a truly rare jaw dropping moment.

(of course, all the follow-ups on that angle in the continuing bischoff vs steph brand feud sucked, except for the kiss, and the follow up to that sucked too, so... well... noticing a trend? but i digress).

Yeah, that was cool and shocking. For one shining moment, that whole mess of a feud and the brand extension actually had that rare nWo/real-invasion heat, and Bischoff, for one night, was booked as the diabolical villian he always should have been booked as from day one. Imagine if something like this had been his debut, and it was Vince instead of Stephanie?

The Eric Bischoff being the minister at the gay wedding on Smackdown was a truly rare jaw dropping moment.

OK, yeah, that one had me big time. I couldn't believe it when he pulled off the make up and it was Bischoff.

I didn't see that PPV live but I talked to a friend that saw it and his mind was blown as to how bizarre that whole UT angle was.

As far as Edge at NYR, I didn't find it shocking at all. On the PPV they basically telegraph what he is going to do since he simply got himself DQed vs. Flair and had a bit with Lita saying he "had other things on his mind."

I can't say I was really shocked that it happened, but more releaved that they actually pulled the trigger on something like that. Also, it was pretty funny to watch all of the hardcore Cena marks freak out at the bar and complain that Cena was screwed and that Edge cheated to win. I loved arguing their logic on that one

Guest TheFabulousJakey

I was there live for that one, and I'd have to agree (although the entire segment was rather uncomfortable).

-When Jericho became the first undisputed champion. I thought he was the least likely to win it of the four.

-When Spike Dudley debuted on Raw. We had heard about Tajiri, Rhyno, Jerry Lynn, Justin Credible and all of the other ECW guys that came over after ECW went down but not a mention of Spike.

The most shocked I have been is when I saw "Snake" Roberts vs. Randy Savage at "Tuesday in Texas." The whole thing that transpired between Roberts and Elizabeth was very weird. It was like watching Jake rape Elizabeth. The interview after the match was quite disturbing. I've never felt so violated after watching a wrestling match. As hot as this feud was after this event, I don't understand why it didn't go further.

Jake Roberts turning on the Warrior, then crashing Savage/Liz's wedding reception. I was pretty new to wrestling back then and that turn of events shocked the hell out of me. The Jake/Savage feud was the first OMG!feud I had even witnessed.

Guest montycombs1
The Owen/HBK angle I've always thought was silly. I mean Owen was a moron. He had HBK knocked out in the center of the ring and didn't think to PIN the guy???

Owen a moron? I have to disagree. The reason Owen didn't pin Shawn was because they wanted to get the angle over as a shoot. They wanted everyone to believe it was real. That is why RAW went to dead air when Shawn collapsed. If the commentators kept on talking and Owen pinned Shawn, I think it would have killed the illusion of it being real. By late 1995, when this occurred, most people knew it was just entertainment and not real. So Owen reacting the way he did by acting concerned about Shawn was great. Shawn was a babyface and Owen was a heel. When the fans saw that Owen was even concerned, they had to be thinking "this isn't part of the show." The only ones who knew this was happening were Shawn and Owen, of course, as well as Vince, J.R., and Lawler. Shawn was even taken to the hospital where we even had the medics and doctors fooled. He said to sign a release form so he could leave. I thought it was genius. I was 12 at the time and it had me fooled.

FUCK YEAH! I didn't see that coming at all and marked my ass off for it. Shame it didn't go anywhere because that was truly some classic shit.

How about DDP's WWF debut? The follow up sucked and it was kinda bad considering how obvious it was (to me at least) that Vince was doing the voiceovers for the Sara segment, but that one really caught me off guard.

Surprised no one's mentioned Austin attacking Bret Hart in the ambulance back in 97. That was CRAZY!

[surprised no one's mentioned Austin attacking Bret Hart in the ambulance back in 97. That was CRAZY!

Wasn't this the first show Russo had a hand in booking and came after that horrible RAW with taped matches from Europe? I remember as a big WWF fan back then I was like "this show sucks" and then the next week or so it seems the whole Austin-Bret fight all over the arena and ambulance angle occurred and I was like "this is great!"

- Michaels putting Jannetty through a plate-glass window (that shit broke my heart. I was ten)

- Bob Backlund shoots on Lou Gianfriddo (amazing angle)

- Lex Luger showing up at the first Nitro

- ECW invades during Mind Games in Philadelphia (possibly the WWF/E's first shoot angle)

- Jim Ross heel turn promo (possibly the WWF/E's second shoot angle, just 24 hours after Mind Games)

- Bret Hart attacks Vince in Nova Scotia (another must-see angle)

- Eric Bischoff's first appearance up on RAW

Flair over Vader at Starrcade '93...I fully expected the Mastodon to put Flair into retirement.

Benoit winning the World title at WM 20. At the time...it was a big thing for Benoit after all the years he'd put in busting his ass.

Guest Nitro 24/7

I have a few that come to mind:

Ric Flair showing up in WWF with the WCW World Title

Lex Luger showing up at Wrestlemania 8

Randy Savage turning on Hogan and attacking him backstage as Elizabeth was getting medical help. (That was on Saturday Nights Main Event possible The Main Event) It was The Mega Powers vs The Twin Towers.

The Steiner Brothers showing up in WWF in 92

The nWo angle including Hogans heel turn in WCW

The nWo returns to WWE at No Way Out 2002

X Pac returning to WWE on Raw as a member of DX

Jerry Lawler in ECW

Rick Rude on Raw and Nitro on the same night

Goldbergs WWE debut on Raw the night after Wrestlemania 19

Eric Bischoffs WWE Debut on Raw

The Road Warriors WWF debut (sometime in 92?)

Vince and Shane Mcmahon on Nitro and Raw

The Radicalz WWF Debut

Rowdy Pipers WCW Debut at Halloween Havoc 96

The Warrior on Nitro

Paul Heyman replacing Jerry Lawler on Raw

Randy Savage being bit by Jakes Cobra and also the snake in the box at the wedding reception.

Hulk Hogan beating Yokozuna for the WWF title at Wrestlemania 9

Vince Russo / Hulk Hogan Bash at the Beach 2000 incident

The finger poke of doom and the returning nWo on Nitro Jan 99

HHH and Goldberg face to face on Raw

Hulk Hogan vs Vince Mcmahon at Wrestlemania 19 including Rowdy Piper returning to WWE

Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 21

Hulk Hogan calling out Steve Austin at Raw Homecoming

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

I don't remember Hogan calling Austin out?

He more or less challenged Austin to a match at Mania. I can't recall what he said, but that was the jist of it

Edge winning the WWE title at NYR. Best ending to a PPV ever. Even thought Cena shouldn't have kicked out of the first spear.

Edge winning the WWE title at NYR. Best ending to a PPV ever. Even thought Cena shouldn't have kicked out of the first spear.

I have no beef with Cena kicking out of the first spear as it added an extra something to a "match" that might has lasted 90 seconds. It also made it a little more special to finally see someone pin Cena after that extra little bit of drama.