TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Pat Metheny

I've long assumed this guy was smooth jazz cheese, but I've read enough about him to think he might be more than that; plus, some real cool track credited to him came up on the online jazz radio station I was listening to at work the other day—unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the song, but it sounded a lot like Miles Davis's early fusion stuff (think In a Silent Way).

Does he have good albums? I'm currently downloading Bright Size Life, which also features Jaco Pastorius, which might give Agent of Oblivion a halfie, but makes me wary.

fake edit: I don't expect much from this thread, but I figured I'd make it, anyway.

Metheny Talkin' Shit 'bout Kenny G

But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, shit all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician.

In all seriousness, I've heard good things about his collab with Ornette Coleman, Song X. I went ahead and double dipped with it and The Pat Metheny Group LP, so I'll be reporting my findings soon. Consider it an olive branch for gheypegging your thread. (Though he's still ridiculous for playing that thing. It looks like something that would make the producers of This is Spinal Tap blush.)

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Beat me to the punch with that absurd guitar. And what the fuck with my being gay with Jaco? Guy's talented.

You know, that Kenny G dis is lame. The effect of the harsh language is lessened when put up against some fanboyish fawning regarding Armstrong. And, as much of a hack G may be, Metheny has perpetrated his fair share of velveeta bullshit:

That song was, by the way, my only exposure to Metheny for the longest time, thus why I'd written the guy off as contemporary jazz twaddle.

I like his one album that I have "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls". Decent, good musicianship, but nothing that goes to another level anywhere on it.

Listened through The Pat Matheny Group LP on this morning's commute. Sunshine and clouds mixed. High around 65F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.

That being said, Song X seems promising so far as I go through it this morning. I still hate the sound of Matheny's guitar and, at times, it seems more like he's trying (and failing) to catch up to Coleman on licks rather than deferring, but the music is much closer to Coleman's harmolodic exploits and has some legitimately good moments.

His tone goes along away as to why I can't fully get into him. Which is a shame, since I can understand and recognize that a lot of his music makes use of complex chord structures and polyrhythmic elements; it's not exactly as if he's the Rippingtons.