TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

OAO 10/25 Impact Thread

Tonight's a pretty big show for TNA as they've hyped up the title match for a week, hoping to pop a rating spike. We'll see how that works out, but I figured I'd go ahead and start the discussion.

Preview:

anglesting.jpg

fight_for_right.jpg

PREVIEW FOR THURSDAY’S “iMPACT!” BROADCAST ON SPIKE TV

Sting to defend the World Championship against Kurt Angle

By Bill Banks

This Thursday night, TNA Wrestling returns to SpikeTV with two hours of Total Nonstop Action as the road to the November 11 “Genesis” Pay-Per-View event continues!

- In a rematch of the main event of Bound For Glory, Sting will defend the TNA World Heavyweight Championship this Thursday night against Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle! Kevin Nash already told Angle he’s on his own this time around. Can Angle reclaim the gold? Will Sting continue his domination? Will the Angles have a plan? Tune in to see this huge World Heavyweight Championship match this Thursday night on SpikeTV!

- The “Fight For The Right” tournament for a shot at the TNA World Heavyweight Championship continues this Thursday as it will be Eric Young taking on “Cowboy” James Storm, plus Junior Fatu facing Robert Roode!

- In an eight-man tag team match, it will be The Steiner Brothers teaming up with The Latin American Xchange to battle TNA World Tag Team Champions AJ Styles and Tomko as well as The Voodoo Kin Mafia.

- Plus, the women will be in action on “iMPACT!” as it will be the destructive Awesome Kong against newcomer Angel Williams.

All this and much more this Thursday night on Spike TV – plus news on the November 11 “Genesis” Pay-Per-View event!

Discuss...

A question I had to post for people to ponder...

Will the "Team 3D Tries To Kill the X-Division" story end better than the "Kevin Nash Feuds With the X-Division" story that was SUPPOSSED to put over Chris Sabin?

I only saw the 2nd hour, so I can't comment much on the whole show, but other than the stupidity of the title situation (that maybe I'll figure if the mystery is Booker T instead of Scott Hall), the only thing that jumped out to me from what I saw is that Robert Roode is really growing in his heel role. His promo was exactly the response he needed to not be buried by Fatu's "who the hell are you" promo last week and this is one case where I agree with the dirty finish to protect him, especially since they are planning to put him with Joe. That match also showed me how much better TNA would be with a heel commentator. Christian's interactions with Don West reminded me of Jerry Lawler's back and forth's with Jim Ross or Bobby Heenan's with Guerilla Monsoon. Him openly cheering for the heel was just fun.

So I'm watching the replay right now, and wow, Don West is so horrible. I hate, hate, HATE how in TNA they will be showing a backstage thing (BR/Abyss), and as it's happening and the wrestlers are talking, they have West describing every single fucking detail as it happens.

HE'S PUTTING HIS HEAD IN A VICE!!!

NOW HE'S TWISTING IT MAKING IT TIGHTER ON HIS HEAD!!!

NOW HE'S PUTTING THE RAT ON HIM!!!

Come on already, ugh. I can't decide which I hate the most - that crap, or how they instantly cut away from the ring after matches in order to CUT TO THE BACK.

If they'd just change little things like this, it would make the show twice as watchable as it is right now.

In all fairness it was so dark in that bizarre area that I could barely make out that Abyss' head was in a vice.

Cornette did his usual yearly "Yeah I know this sucks but so and so is champion" spiel. I swear Cornette has to be the single worst authority figure in the history of wrestling. He couldn't just say something like "Look, due to that screwy finish I am holding the belt up and we'll have Angle vs. Sting at Genesis with NOBODY at ringside period."

I set the Impact replay to record and then watched it tonight and I enjoyed it quite a bit for the most part. It's a lot more fast-paced and engrossing then Raw and I'll never ever get sick of watching Kurt Angle win World titles. I really wasn't expecting there to be any legit chance of him winning at all so then when he did, I marked out big time. You'd never see a surprise title change right after a PPV title change in the WWE any more. TNA does a great job of staying unpredictable.

I didn't really like the way they dragged out Cornette's decision throughout the show though. If they're going to do that finish, just do it in the regular main event slot and then have Cornette give his announcement next week. It would get more people to tune in to the following Impact and you wouldn't have the anti-climax of them main-eventing the show with an announcement of what we thought would happen all along.

Oh, and is Robert Roode being from Wall Street supposed to be a parody on JBL or is that actually supposed to be his character straight-up. Because I don't think it's possible to dress him more like a typical redneck.

In all fairness it was so dark in that bizarre area that I could barely make out that Abyss' head was in a vice.

Cornette did his usual yearly "Yeah I know this sucks but so and so is champion" spiel. I swear Cornette has to be the single worst authority figure in the history of wrestling. He couldn't just say something like "Look, due to that screwy finish I am holding the belt up and we'll have Angle vs. Sting at Genesis with NOBODY at ringside period."

But why? He was right to leave the belt on Angle. Like he said, Sting was the aggressor. Why penalize Angle for it?

I actually got to watch this episode of Impact and found it more enjoyable than most recent episodes of RAW. Sting/Angle was a bit short, but was decent and did what it was supposed to.

I didn't mind them dragging out the bit with Cornette, because they used the final segment to set up the main event of the next PPV, which is what they should be doing, and what people on this forum have been clamoring for them to do. You might argue that it's dumb for a World Title to be contested in a tag team match, but there's definitely some intrigue as to who Sting's partner will be.

I guess I'm the only one who is thinking the whole Cornette thing is leading to him turning heel?

You would have to think Sting doesn't trust whoever Cornette had in mind. Sting is in a bad spot in kayfabe though, as on one hand if Sting picks a great wrestler, he runs the risk of that wrestler winning the title instead of himself, but on the other hand, if he picks a tomato can, it's a 2 on 1 handicap practically.

I REALLY hated the Mike Tenay "it's obvious!" deal. No, it wasn't obvious. Nash was at ringside. Sting hit Nash. Nash then WENT to interject himself, Sting went to attack him and as a result allowed Angle to hit his finisher (cleanly) and then get the three count (cleanly). How many screwy Jarrett titles wins/defences did Tenay sit through without doing what he did there? Surely if they're going to do a 'Mike Tenay grows a pair' storyline they could have picked something that was a slightly more fucking obvious miscarriage of justice?

Yeah the Tenay angle was really strange. The dude is an announcer, why the hell is he trying to dictate policy to the management?

I could tolerate the Cornette aspect of Angle/Sting if I hadn't already seen him act like an incompetent boob last year with Jeff Jarrett. He sorta stripped Jarrett, then gives him the belt again. He sorta fires Hebner, but brings him back again. I thought at that point that he might be veering into a heel turn, but no he just was that inept as a GM. Oh, and he also punished Jarrett by putting him in a NON TITLE match with Samoa Joe.

Let's also consider that Cornette blathered about people having to earn their spot in TNA, yet he gives Pacman Jones a tag title match for the hell of it. Now of course is this whole Sting/Angle feud, and he lets Angle keep the belt. If Cornette isn't turning heel at some point, then he's being booked to look like shit.

If the entire TNA roster isn't turning heel at some point, then it's being booked to look like shit.

Fixed for accuracy.

I REALLY hated the Mike Tenay "it's obvious!" deal. No, it wasn't obvious. Nash was at ringside. Sting hit Nash. Nash then WENT to interject himself, Sting went to attack him and as a result allowed Angle to hit his finisher (cleanly) and then get the three count (cleanly). How many screwy Jarrett titles wins/defences did Tenay sit through without doing what he did there? Surely if they're going to do a 'Mike Tenay grows a pair' storyline they could have picked something that was a slightly more fucking obvious miscarriage of justice?

I thought they may have been going with the idea that Tenay is tired of all the run-in's and screw jobs and was looking for a clean finish and that's why he got his panties in a bunch.

You would have to think Sting doesn't trust whoever Cornette had in mind. Sting is in a bad spot in kayfabe though, as on one hand if Sting picks a great wrestler, he runs the risk of that wrestler winning the title instead of himself, but on the other hand, if he picks a tomato can, it's a 2 on 1 handicap practically.

But, Sting could in kayfabe believe that if if his partner does win the title, that he could have the first shot by saying "hey, if it wasn't for me you wouldn't have the title." Also, it's not completely a 2 on 1 handicap match if both Angle and Nash are fighting each other for their own side's victory because Sting should know even better than Kurt that Nash can't be trusted.

So basically, it's a Fatal Four-way with tag stipulations. It's been done plenty of times before, and hopefully they can book it correctly. I don't really want to see Nash involved in a title feud, but I could see him eating the pin if they do indeed want to give the belt back to Sting (or the new guy) leading to Angle and Nash having a short-and-sweet battle on Impact for the number one contendership AFTER Sting (or the new guy) defends against the other.