TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dobbs 3K

Do I need a power supply upgrade?

OK, folks. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop PC that is about four years old. I just upgraded my video card from an Nvidia 5200 to an Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS. I didn't realize, but upon looking at the box and checking online, the new card recommends a power supply of 400 watts. My Dell seems to have a power supply of 250 watts. Granted, I just put the new card in a few hours ago, but everything seems to be running fine. Should I be worried that this could damage my computer, or am I fine right now with the current PSU?

Thanks in advance.

You need to have more than 250watts regardless. There is no way that is going to be a stable system with a powersupply that low.

You probably will need a new power supply, and because its from Dell, you probably gonna have to get it from them. A standard power supply may fit, but Dell likes to switch up the pattern of the wires in their power supplies so you HAVE to buy one from them.

Regardless, if you start to do anything that requires that video card to really work, then you may end up with an overworked power supply and your computer will probably end up resetting

The one I bought is rated at 380 watts, but the guy at the shop spoke highly of it. I can't remember the brand name off hand, but it seems to be fitting my needs fine.