TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/1 - 11/4

As mentioned earlier the ASU/Oregon game will be carried by ESPN after all and it'll be the first Pac-10 conference game televised on ESPN since 1994, although they were already scheduled to show a few games this month. Those in Oregon and Arizona will still get the local telecasts of the game. Big Ten fans though who don't have a satellite dish won't be so lucky this week though as the Wisconsin/Ohio State game will be available on the Big Ten Network only which should just thrill fans from both schools. This week of course is LSU's first game against Nick Saban and Alabama although it's too bad the game isn't in Baton Rouge as it would be a lot more fun but it should be interesting none the less.

And finally, is this the year Navy beats Notre Dame? It's a bit of a down year for the Midshipmen but if there was ever a year to beat the Irish this is the one.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

THURSDAY

#11 Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

Nevada at New Mexico State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Purdue at Penn State, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Iowa at Northwestern, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Nebraska at #8 Kansas, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, FSN

Kansas State at Iowa State, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Versus

Navy at Notre Dame, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, NBC

#12 Michigan at Michigan State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

Cincinnati at #18 South Florida, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

#15 Texas at Oklahoma State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

UCLA at Arizona, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#3 LSU at #17 Alabama, 5:00/2:00 PM, CBS

#9 Missouri at Colorado, 6:30/3:30 PM, FSN

#4 Arizona State at #5 Oregon, 6:45/3:45 PM, ESPN

Florida State at #2 Boston College, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

Oregon State at #19 USC, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

Texas A&M at #6 Oklahoma, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

South Carolina at Arkansas, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

Washington State at California, 10:00/7:00 PM, FSN

SUNDAY

SMU at Houston, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Basic Cable/Satellite/Gameplan Schedule

FRIDAY

Akron at Bowling Green, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPNU

SATURDAY

N.C. State at Miami, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPNU

#21 Wisconsin at #1 Ohio State, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Ball State at Indiana, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

#24 Wake Forest at #23 Virginia, Noon/9:00 AM, LFS*/GP

#25 Clemson at Duke, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Syracuse at Pittsburgh, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Vanderbilt at #20 Florida, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, LFS*/GP

Colorado State at BYU, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

FIU at Arkansas State, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

San Jose State at #22 Boise State, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

Buffalo at Miami of Ohio, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

Army at Air Force, 3:30/12:30 PM, CSTV

Maryland at North Carolina, 3:45/12:45 PM, ESPNU

New Mexico at TCU, 5:30/2:30 PM, Mtn.

Washington at Stanford, 6:30/3:30 PM, FCS Pacific

Rutgers at #13 Connecticut, 7:15/4:15 PM, ESPNU

Tulsa at Tulane, 7:30/4:30 PM, CSTV

Illinois at Minnesota, 8:00/5:00 PM, BTN

Wyoming at San Diego State, 9:00/6:00 PM, Mtn.

All Other Div. I-A Games

FRIDAY

Temple at Ohio

SATURDAY

Troy at #10 Georgia

Northwestern State at Mississippi

East Carolina at Memphis

Tennessee Tech at #16 Auburn

Texas Tech at Baylor

UTEP at Rice

Marshall at UCF

Louisiana-Lafayette at Tennessee

Louisiana Tech at Idaho

Utah State at Fresno State

Southern Miss at UAB

Middle Tennessee at Louisiana-Monroe

Eastern Michigan at Toledo

Excerpted from the PAC 10 press release on the Arizona State/Oregon television situation. The situation has (surprisngly) resolved rather nicely.

FSN will air its production on FSN Arizona, FSN West and FSN Northwest in the state of Oregon. The Oregon Sports Network will distribute the game in the state of Oregon. ESPN will originate its own production to air in all other U.S. television markets not covered by the FSN telecast, including the state of Washington and Northern California. ESPN College GameDay also will originate from Eugene.

Top FCS games... this time by points scored! Shootout potentials...

12:00 PM - James Madison (261) @ Delaware (316)

1:00 PM - Holy Cross (326) @ Fordham (265)

FCS Game of the Week - 1:30 PM - Georgia Southern (308) @ Wofford (334)

2:00 PM - Appalachian State (310) @ Citadel (298)

2:00 PM - Northern Iowa (250) @ Missouri State (327)

2:05 PM - Southern Illinois (360) @ Western Illinois (240)

5:07 PM - Illinois State (272) @ North Dakota State (326)

Just wanted to say the Georgia Tech's absolutely beating the Hokies this week and with Virginia having another very losable game this week, the Jackets still have a great shot to win the Coastal division. If they win out, all they really need is for Virginia Tech to split with FSU and Miami and then beat Virginia. Virginia and Miami would both have to pick up another loss somewhere too, but given the schedules, I think those events are very likely and VT is the key.

Just found out about the Wisconsin-OSU game being on BTN. Huge coup for the station. But I believe this is the 5th game for Ohio State (counting the ESPNU game last year) not available. Good for BTN that they have the No. 1 team, but it will be a footnote by Monday.

What was the big issue with ASU-Oregon?

The big issue (to the best of my knowledge):The Pac 10 has the WORST tv contract. Aside from being on shitty Fox Sports, most of the games get regional coverage only. This one was scheduled to be on in Oregon, Arizona, and parts of Southern California. The Pac 10 doesn't like to televise overlapping games so they usually only end up with three games on each week. FSN thankfully expanded regional coverage and then ESPN came along and bought the rights to show it and is bringing College Gameday.

Just wanted to say the Georgia Tech's absolutely beating the Hokies this week and with Virginia having another very losable game this week, the Jackets still have a great shot to win the Coastal division. If they win out, all they really need is for Virginia Tech to split with FSU and Miami and then beat Virginia. Virginia and Miami would both have to pick up another loss somewhere too, but given the schedules, I think those events are very likely and VT is the key.

I think you overstate what you need, actually. I interpret what you said as pointing out that Virginia needs to lose out, but they only need to lose 2. The easiest situation for GT is to win out and have a 4-way tie at 5-3. The ACC multi-team tiebreaker is record among the tied teams. Virginia losing 4 conference games would make it cleaner, but the key is for Virginia to lose to both VT and Miami. You'd have:

GT, 2-1 (W: VT, Miami, L: UVA)

VT or Miami at 2-1, depending on who wins their matchup

VT or Miami at 1-2, depending on who wins their matchup

UVA at 1-2 (W: GT, L: Miami, VT)

Virginia is eliminated, and GT holds the head-to-head tiebreaker over both Miami and VT regardless of who's at 2-1. Certainly doable, but I expect GT to fall short of their goal as soon as this Thursday, backs against the wall or not. I'm rooting for them, but I don't think VT has hit a freefall yet.

Nah, I wasn't saying Virginia has to lose out. Basically, the key events are:

1) Georgia Tech wins out

2) Virginia Tech beats Virginia

3) Virginia Tech loses to either Miami or Florida State

If all those things happen, Georgia Tech's > 80% to get the division as they'd have the tiebreaker in either a 3-way tie with UVA and VT or a 4-way tie with UVA, VT, and Miami. If the listed events happen, the only ways GT fails are if Miami wins out (unlikely, they have to play at BC in addition to the UVA and VT games) or if Virginia beats both Wake and Miami. (Also unlikely, especially with one on the road.) Also, Georgia Tech should definitely win out if they beat the Hokies on Thursday as their last two conference games are against Duke and North Carolina.

And really, I don't think Virginia Tech needs to be in "free-fall" to lose to Georgia Tech. The Jackets hammered them last year in Blacksburg and according to the Sagarin ratings are the slightly better team on a neutral field. Add in a big home advantage for a Thursday night game against a team incapable of exploiting GT's biggest weakness (pass defense) and I see no reason GT shouldn't win, even without Tashard Choice. FWIW, the oddsmakers agree with me, listing Georgia Tech as a 2.5 point favorite on Thursday night.

Isn't Choice's (very good) backup out too? Third-string against Ellis and co. might not get the job done. I see the spread, but I more or less consider games that are +/- a field goal or less to be pick'em. Having watched a fair amount of both teams this season, I expect a reasonably ugly 20-14 type defensive game.

Yeah, Rashaun Grant's out and he's technically second-string, but Jonathan Dwyer's actually got more carries this year than Grant does and he's averaging 5.9 YPC with 7 TDs. There's a little concern that a lot of his yards came against Samford, but I still think he's a really solid back and the dropoff won't be all that great.

Several Virginia Tech players are wearing Georgia Tech uniforms with various parts covered up with marker and their names handwritten on the back. There was a jersey theft, apparently. This is the weirdest season.

Several Virginia Tech players are wearing Georgia Tech uniforms with various parts covered up with marker and their names handwritten on the back. There was a jersey theft, apparently. This is the weirdest season.

The Russell logos markered out and orange Nike swooshes drawn on was the best part.

Good to see someone's priorities in place.

I finally figured out how to use the picture-in-picture on my TV and oh my god, is it amazing. Can still follow my Virginia bet while letting the Wisky/OSU game take center stage. I'm enjoying this so much I had to bring my laptop into the living room to get the full experience.

Man, who is running the Big Ten network? They go to break at the end of the third quarter, and come back 42 seconds into the fourth in the middle of a touchdown run by OSU. How do you over-shoot the start of the quarter so horribly?

Virginia pulls out another lucky win, getting a missed FG from Wake to win 17-16. This is the 5th game UVA's won by either one or two points.

Jayhawks are still unbeaten and Kansas State loses to the #108 team in the BCS, Iowa State. Slayer is going to need a hug.

I'll steal from HarleyQuinn with an FCS update, Rhode Island beat UMass 12-6 in overtime today with all of UMass' points coming from three safties.

Jayhawks are still unbeaten and Kansas State loses to the #108 team in the BCS, Iowa State. Slayer is going to need a hug.

I'll steal from HarleyQuinn with an FCS update, Rhode Island beat UMass 12-6 in overtime today with all of UMass' points coming from three safties.

I'll chip in. Delaware gives up 400 plus yards rushing yards but still manages to beat James Madison 37-34. HUGE win for the Hens but giving up two 50 plus yard touchdown runs to two different guys does not make me happy or confident about their chances for the rest of the season. Still, this one might JUST be enough to get them into the playoffs I hope.

Are you offering?