TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/1 - 11/4

Question - With BC out, who takes over at #2, LSU or Oregon?

LSU has more quality wins than Oregon, but Oregon just beat highly-ranked (#4?) ASU fairly solidly today in comparison to LSU's win over #17 Bama.

I said it last week but this UConn crap needs to end. And it will end in the next 2 weeks, since they have road games at Cincy and WVU. There's something amusing about the last game of the season for U of L being that Rutgers game. Have there been two bigger flops this year?

Oregon deserves it more; LSU's been skating by team after team (Auburn, Bama tonight, Florida) while Oregon has been dismantling people. They took out Michigan before their tear, they took down USC, they took down ASU tonight. If Oregon & LSU win out I have to go with Oregon 2, LSU 3.

I think LSU has to keep the spot. From the pollsters perspective, they were the preseason #2 and were 2 spots ahead of Oregon going into the day, and from the merit perspective, Oregon lost at home, while LSU's beaten tough teams at home again and again and picked up their only loss on the road in 3OT. I think LSU deserves to go to the title game if they win out unless Kansas goes 12-0.

I said it last week but this UConn crap needs to end. And it will end in the next 2 weeks, since they have road games at Cincy and WVU. There's something amusing about the last game of the season for U of L being that Rutgers game. Have there been two bigger flops this year?

Charlie-Weis-PHOTO-Web.jpg

Oregon should be ahead based on the resume, IMO. But LSU would win a game between the two. Remember the last SEC one-loss team who wasn't impressive on a consistent basis and how they got blown out by Ohio State in the title game last year.

These top of the line SEC teams aren't unimpressive because they're not better than everybody else, it's because they play every week in the SEC.

And yes, that was a triple negative. Thats my SEC education. Remember. I'm not grammatically impressive because I went to a school in the SEC.

What's worse, a last-second loss to Cal due to a fumble or a 3OT loss to Kentucky?

What's better, a convincing win (by around 30 points) over V-Tech and wins over ranked teams like Florida, South Carolina, Auburn, and Alabama or a convincing win over Michigan and solid (but not convincing) wins over USC and Arizona State?

According to the radio, now that Navy beat ND, Tennessee over Kentucky is the longest winning streak by one D1 team over another. And if Vandy hadn't beaten us two years ago, Tennessee over Vandy and Tennessee over Kentucky would be the top two.

Oregon should be 2nd. The only weakness they've shown is that they can't stop the most explosive player in college football.

Ohio State will lose and Oregon will be playing LSU for the Title. You all shall see. I've never seen a team skate through a schedule untested like the Buckeyes have.

New rankings:

Previous week's ranking in parenthesis

1. Ohio State 10-0 (1)

2. LSU 8-1 (2)

3. Oregon 8-1 (5)

4. Oklahoma 8-1 (7)

5. West Virginia 7-1 (6)

6. Kansas 9-0 (8)

7. Missouri 8-1 (9)

8. Arizona State 8-1 (3)

9. Boston College 8-1 (4)

10. Auburn 7-3 (11)

11. Florida 6-3 (12)

12. USC 7-2 (14)

13. Connecticut 8-1 (15)

14. Georgia 7-2 (13)

15. Virginia Tech 7-2 (16)

16. California 6-3 (17)

17. Kentucky 6-3 (19)

18. Michigan 8-2 (20)

19. Cincinnatti 7-2 (27)

20. South Florida 7-3 (10)

21. Texas 8-2 (23)

22. Clemson 7-2 (25)

23. Alabama 6-3 (21)

24. Tennessee 6-3 (24)

25. Arkansas 6-3 (37)

Close: Boise State, Florida State, Penn State, Virginia, South Carolina, Hawaii, BYU

No sorta close teams this week, 32 is enough.

Darren McFadden sure did try to vault himself back in the Heisman race, rushing for 323 yards against the ol' ball coach. He had a rushing TD and a passing TD. Can't wait to see him in the NFL.

I know that Nebraska isn't really Nebraska, but Kansas dropped 70 on Nebraska to remain undefeated. This isn't Boise State, here. This is a BCS conference school. That isn't in the Big East. Wheres the love?

I know that Nebraska isn't really Nebraska, but Kansas dropped 70 on Nebraska to remain undefeated. This isn't Boise State, here. This is a BCS conference school. That isn't in the Big East. Wheres the love?

You said part of it... Nebraska's not what they used to be.

When Kansas beats up on Missouri and/or Oklahoma like that, they'll get respect.

The rest of the B12 doesn't look too spectacular this year.

Good to see something bad finally happen to the city of boston.

Also, Oregon better jump lsu in the rankings this week.

People here pnly care about BC until they have their annual "Choke an undefeated season away against a team you should beat" game.

FCS Spotlight Players of the Week... The usual assortment of eye popping stats :)

QB Tom Bennewitz (Dartmouth): 16/21 for 339 yards and 4 TD with 0 INT. Also 1 rushing TD.

QB Bryant Lee (Southern): 12/18 for 248 yards and 4 TD with 0 INT. Also 7 carries for 72 yards and 2 TD.

QB Armanti Edwards (Appalachian State): 10/20 for 148 yards and 2 TD with 1 INT. Also 21 carries for 291 yards and 2 TD.

QB Scott Riddle (Elon): 38/52 for 534 yards and 3 TD with 3 INT. Also had 3 rushing TD.

QB Jimmy Oliver (Jackson State): 26/43 for 391 yards and 4 TD with 1 INT. Also 6 yards rushing.

QB Cameron Higgins (Weber State): 21/31 for 432 yards and 4 TD with 1 INT. Also 21 yards rushing.

QB Ryan Alexander (Davidson): 35/54 for 404 yards and 6 TD with 0 INT.

QB Joshua Johnson (San Diego): 31/35 for 416 yards and 5 TD with 0 INT. Also had 11 carries for 49 yards.

RB Charlie Houghton (Georgetown): 27 carries for 163 yards and 4 TD. Also had 8 catches for 76 yards.

RB Jason Butler (Wagner): 26 carries for 269 yards and 3 TD. Also 1 catch for 11 yards.

RB Jayson Foster (Georgia Southern): 28 carries for 279 yards and 3 TD.

RB Jason Payne (Sacred Heart): 28 carries for 207 yards and 2 TD. Also 3 catches for 25 yards.

RB Tyler Roehl (North Dakota State): 20 carries for 257 yards and 4 TD.

RB Cory Koenig (South Dakota State): 21 carries for 204 yards and 2 TD.

WR Brian Evans (Dartmouth): 5 catches for 191 yards and 2 TD.

WR Timothy Maypray (Virginia Military): 5 catches for 209 yards and 2 TD.

WR Terrell Hudgins (Elon): 16 catches for 207 yards and 2 TD.

WR John Matthews (San Diego): 11 catches for 190 yards and 4 TD.

K Mark Prevost (Samford): 4/4 with a long of 48. Made from 48, 29, 34, and 39 yards.

K Jeremy Licea (Alabama A&M): 4/4 with a long of 41. Made from 37, 41, 37, and 41 yards.

K Jeff Turner (SE Louisiana): 6/6 with a long of 47. Made from 20, 24, 43, 47, 22, and 47 yards.

What's worse, a last-second loss to Cal due to a fumble or a 3OT loss to Kentucky?

What's better, a convincing win (by around 30 points) over V-Tech and wins over ranked teams like Florida, South Carolina, Auburn, and Alabama or a convincing win over Michigan and solid (but not convincing) wins over USC and Arizona State?

I'm getting a bit tired of counting SEC conference games any more highly than anybody else's conference games. Top to bottom, yeah, the SEC is probably the strongest conference right now, but the lustre is coming off a lot of those "special" LSU wins. "Ranked" South Carolina is now inconsistent 6-4 South Carolina on a 3-game losing streak. Alabama is a good team with just one really impressive win. Beating LSU was great, but Kentucky also lost to that okay South Carolina team and got worked by Mississippi State. Florida hasn't justified their exceptionally high ranking, and while a very dangerous team, are still sitting 4-5 spots higher than they probably would be any other year based on last year's championship.

These are still good teams, but I wouldn't say that beating any of them is significantly more impressive than beating Wake Forest, Cal, Penn State, or South Florida. That said, beating just about all of them is still a pretty good achievement, and wrecking Virginia Tech's shit was ruthless. I would still have LSU a smidge ahead of Oregon, even though I think Oregon over ASU is probably stronger than any LSU win at the moment.

Weak as hell schedule, plus they didn't even leave the state until their game in Boulder

KU's schedule (opponent's current record):

Central Michigan (5-4)

Southeastern Louisiana (2-7)

Toledo (5-5)

Florida International (0-9)

Kansas State (5-4)

Baylor (3-7)

Colorado (5-4)

Texas A&M (6-4)

Nebraska (4-6)

Oklahoma State (5-4)

Iowa State (2-8)

Their only "quality" win to this point was over A&M, against whom they nearly blew a 19 point 4th quarter lead. If they beat Mizzou and OU back to back, then put them in. Otherwise they don't deserve as much hype as stronger one-loss teams like LSU and Oregon

I could go for "Ohio State gets Humiliated by an SEC team, Pt III"

When was the first time?

I was including the basketball championship with last year's BCS Title game

The following teams have clinched playoff berths in the FCS...

Patriot League: Fordham (8-2, 5-0)

Gateway Conference: Northern Iowa (9-0, 5-0)

Big Sky Conference: Montana (9-0, 6-0)

Southland Conference: McNeese State (9-0, 5-0)

Here are the other possible playoff teams to keep an eye on...

SWAC: Grambling State (8-1, 8-0) and Jackson State (6-3, 6-1)

(Automatic) Southern: Georgia Southern (7-2, 4-2) and Wofford (7-3, 4-2) and Elon (6-3, 4-2)

Pioneer: Dayton (9-1, 5-1) and San Diego (8-1, 5-1)

(Automatic) Ohio Valley: Eastern Kentucky (7-2, 6-0) and Eastern Illinois (6-3, 5-1) and Jacksonville State (6-3, 5-1)

(Automatic) MEAC: Delaware State (8-1, 7-0) and Norfolk State (7-2, 6-1)

(Automatic) Colonial Athletic: UMass (7-2, 5-1) and Delaware (8-1, 5-1) and Richmond (7-2, 5-1)

MAAC: Iona (7-2, 2-0)

Great West: North Dakota State (9-0, 2-0)

My own personal playoff system would be setup as the following (16 Teams) Ordered by wins as of 11/04

1: Northern Iowa (9-0) [Gateway]

2: Montana (9-0) [big Sky]

3: McNeese State (9-0) [southland]

4: North Dakota State (9-0) [Great West]

5: Dayton (9-1) [Pioneer]

6: Grambling State (8-1) [sWAC]

7: Delaware State (8-1) [MEAC]

8: San Diego (8-1) [Pioneer]

9: Fordham (8-2) [Patriot League]

10: Eastern Kentucky (7-2) [Ohio Valley]

11: Norfolk State (7-2) [MEAC]

12: Massachusetts (7-2) [Colonial Athletic]

13: Richmond (7-2) [Colonial Athletic]

14: Georgia Southern (7-2) [southern]

15: Wofford (7-3) [southern]

16: Jacksonville State (6-3) [Ohio Valley]

Conference Breakdown

Colonial Athletic: 2

MEAC: 2

Ohio Valley: 2

Pioneer: 2

Southern: 2

Big Sky: 1

Gateway: 1

Great West: 1

Patriot League: 1

Southland: 1

SWAC: 1

Iggy, to back up a bit....Notre Dame sucks this year but it was really sorta expected. They weren't ranked or anything, but it's just that they are so horrid that it's historic. Quite a few people thought U of L or Rutgers could go to the BCS. U of L has lost a bunch but at least hasn't been blown out, and can say "Well, we have a new coach that sucks." What is Rutgers' excuse?

Anyway, all these scenarios are why college football blows. There's no way of quantifying who exactly is better between Oregon, LSU, OU, and so on. For what it's worth I checked out www.realtimerpi.com and LSU and 2 and Oregon was 3. LSU has the #1 SOS while Oregon is #3. If anything OSU's SOS of #22 should put them below either team.

The reason no one is caring THAT much about Kansas yet is that their SOS is only #69. And really I'm not sure they can slip past both OK St. and Missouri.

BCS Top 25

1. Ohio State

2. LSU

3. Oregon

4. Kansas

5. Oklahoma

6. Missouri

7. West Virginia

8. Boston College

9. Arizona State

10. Georgia

11. Virginia Tech

12. Michigan

13. Connecticut

14. Texas

15. Florida

16. Hawaii

17. USC

18. Auburn

19. Virginia

20. Boise State

21. Clemson

22. Alabama

23. Penn State

24. Tennessee

25. Kentucky

How likely is it that Ohio State is the odd team out if they, LSU and Oregon all run the table?

While it would not surprise me given it's the BCS, why would the undefeated team be the odd team out?

At this point it looks like there are basically 4 teams fighting for spots in the title game (OSU, LSU, Oregon, and Kansas), with everyone else needing at least 3 of those teams to lose. I'm sure Iggy will provide us with a more detailed analysis soon.

And with the new BCS rankings out, it's time for another addition of my tier system. This is where I group the teams by their chances to make the title game if they run the table. In addition to their groupings, they're also ranked within each tier from top to bottom.

Tier I: The Frontrunners

These are the teams that just need to win the rest of their games to go to the championship. Everyone else is looking for help, but these two largely control their own destinies.

Ohio State (10-0): Arizona State was probably the only team left in the country that could pass the Buckeyes. Now that they've lost, Ohio State should keep the #1 spot as long as they continue to win. If they do fall to Illinois or Michigan though, their chances of making the title game are virtually zero.

Kansas (9-0): Kansas isn't 100% to go to New Orleans if they win out, but they're at about 90% and rising each week. In all practicality, if Oklahoma goes 11-1 and then Kansas beats them, they're in the championship no matter what. If Oklahoma loses somewhere along the way, it's a lot closer, but the Jayhawks would still likely get the nod over LSU or Oregon.

Tier II: The Contenders

These are the other teams that are still in the thick of the race. They do need a little help, but will have a very good chance just by winning the remainder of their games.

LSU (8-1): With the Tigers maintaining their lead over Oregon in the polls, it's all but certain that they'll be the top one-loss team in the BCS. Oregon doesn't have another game on the schedule big enough to leap them and unless Oklahoma just blasts an 11-0 Kansas team, they likely won't either. Right now, LSU just has to root for a Kansas or Ohio State loss and win out to make the top two.

Oregon (8-1): Oregon came up with a huge win over Arizona State, but even with a blowout couldn't pass LSU for the #2 spot. They're still probably better than 50/50 with LSU, Kansas, and Ohio State all having losable games left, but they're not likely to catch anyone from behind.

Tier III: Still in the race

These are the teams that can't honestly they say have a 50/50 shot to make the championship if they win out. They're certainly in the race, but they're going to need a little bit of luck and some help from above to actually make it.

Oklahoma (8-1): Oklahoma's kind of a wild-card at this point. They've basically been forgotten the last few weeks with the other contenders all having high-profile games, but it's far from impossible for them to make a rush. If they really blow out Kansas in the Big XII title game, it's possible they could pass Oregon.

Missouri (8-1): Missouri's basically stuck in this position. They don't have the name value to pass an Oregon or an LSU, but they're remaining schedule's tough enough that there's no way they get left out for someone like West Virginia. If they get to 12-1, they need 2 of the 3 non-Big XII teams ahead of them to lose.

West Virginia (7-1): West Virginia's in a much worse spot than the teams above them, as the Big XII triumvirate's very likely to have at least one team win out. They need the eventual winner to pick up a loss against one of the KSU/OSU/TT type teams or else they need all of the OSU/LSU/Ore group to drop one. It's going to be very tough for the Mountaineers at this point.

Tier IV: The Longshots

These teams while still technically in the race are going to need every single break to go their way. There will have to be some crazy upsets for one of these teams to actually make it to New Orleans.

Arizona State (8-1): It's all about when you lose. If ASU had lost at Oregon in the 3rd game of the season, they'd still be in the thick of things, but at this point, it's going to be very difficult. They do have the USC game which should bump them up ahead of BC if they win, but they're going to need losses from above to jump any further.

Boston College (8-1): It would be close between BC and Arizona State if it came down to that and it's possible that the Eagles could nudge ahead, but to even get serious consideration, they'll need a lot of losses above them. They're still respected enough that they don't have to worry about Ohio State or Kansas staying ahead of them with a loss though.

Eliminated last week

USC (7-2): Despite coming up with a fairly impressive win last week, USC was actually eliminated from championship contention when Arizona State lost to Oregon. With how far down they were, the Trojans would have needed a splashy win over a Top 5 team to get back in the race and that's no longer possible.

Hawaii (8-0): Hawaii also didn't lose last week and actually had a bye, but they still bit the dust. With as far down as UH was, they needed a ton of luck and they didn't get any last week, maintaining the same spot in the Harris and Coaches Poll and actually dropping in the BCS rankings. The best they can hope for now is an at-large bid to the Fiesta or Sugar Bowl.