TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - November 2007

NOVEMBER 2007: WWE 24/7 THANKSGIVING FEASTS

All November on WWE 24/7 On Demand, be prepared to give thanks and gorge yourself on WWE 24/7’s Thanksgiving Feast. All month long, enjoy matches and moments with your favorite Superstars as we celebrate the spirit of Aturkey season WWE-style.

LEGENDS

WWE Hall of Fame: Rowdy Roddy Piper – No Superstar in WWE History could stir things up, both in and out of the ring, quite like the Rowdy-one. We follow Piper’s career from early days in Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling to his explosion on the worldwide stage in the WWE. Relive classic matches, his feud with Hulk Hogan, the launch of the groundbreaking Piper’s Pit and Roddy’s memorable 2005 Hall of Fame Induction.

WWE: The Most Powerful Families in Wrestling – Many of the greatest wrestlers in sports entertainment have followed in the footsteps of family members. Here’s a look at some of the most famous and successful families in wrestling history, including the Harts, Guerreros, Von Erichs, McMahons, Gagnes, Funks and other. Family stories are told through exclusive interviews and classic footage.

[/font]

THE BIG ONES

Survivor Series ’90 & ’95 – Two (2) classic editions of WWE’s Thanksgiving-time spectacular, Survivor Series. First, Survivor Series ’90 features teams captained by Hulk Hogan, Earthquake, "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes and "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. Plus, the Undertaker makes his ominous WWE Debut. Then jump ahead to Survivor Series ‘95 which includes matches with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, The British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Yokozuna and Jerry "The King" Lawler. Plus, "Hitman" Bret Hart challenges Diesel for the WWE Championship.

WWE Old School – Two (2) classic cards from historic wrestling venues. We take you back to a 1985 Boston Garden [note: WWE.com said 1995, which was obviously wrong - Venk] card which features Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat vs. Magnificent Muraco, Junkyard Dog vs. Terry Funk and a Piper’s Pit showdown between Piper and Bruno Sammartino. Then, a 1990 card from Madison Square Garden has Mr. Perfect defending the Intercontinental title against Roddy Piper and Hulk Hogan teaming with Tugboat to battle Earthquake and Dino Bravo. Plus, the Gobbley Gooker makes a surprise visit.

TV CLASSICS

The Monday Night War – Two (2) new episodes highlight the battle for sports entertainment supremacy between the WWE and WCW. Incredible action on Raw features Stone Cold Steve Austin battling Mankind and Triple H challenging The Undertaker for the WWE Championship. On Nitro, Hollywood Hogan tries to keep the nWo from crumbling. Plus, multiple titles are on the line, including Chris Jericho taking on Dean Malenko for the U.S. title.

Saturday Night’s Main Event from 11/26/88 – WWE’s network TV phenomenon takes over Thanksgiving weekend. Andre the Giant goes after "Macho Man" Randy Savage and the WWE Championship. Hacksaw Jim Duggan defends the USA in a Flag Match vs. Boris Zhukov. Plus, The Ultimate Warrior defends the Intercontinental title, Hulk Hogan’s makes an appearance and much more.

History of ECW – Tazz and Joey Styles chronicle two (2) new episodes of the evolution of extreme. Highlights include Rob Van Dam’s historic ECW debut. Sandman battles Raven for the ECW Championship. Plus, Cactus Jack and Mikey Whipwreck take on Tommy Dreamer and Shane Douglas.

SHORTIES

WWE Hall of Fame announcer Jim Ross joins us from JR’s BBQ Restaurant to present tremendous matches featuring football players who made successful transitions from the gridiron to the squared circle. Pigskin greats featured include Ron Simmons, "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd, Brian Pillman, "Dr. Death" Steve Williams, Lawrence Taylor, Goldberg and The Rock.

That is the official WWE.com preview for the month. Thanks to Sunflower, here is the week by week breakdown:

WEEK 1 - November 1st to November 6th (REMINDER: THIS IS AN OFF WEEK. THE NEW SCHEDULE DOES NOT START UNTIL LATE WEDNESDAY - DO NOT CHECK YOUR GUIDES AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT LOOKING FOR NEW CONTENT):

Free Section:

WWE 24/7 November Preview

Families of Wrestling Preview

Divas Preview

Survivor Series Preview

Legends:

Hall of Fame Retrospective - Roddy Piper

Roddy Piper vs. Jake Roberts

Roddy Piper vs. Paul Orndorff

Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart

Big Ones:

Survivor Series 1990 (2 parts)

SummerSlam 2007

TV Classics:

History of ECW - January 21, 1996

NWA Wrestling - January 4, 1986

World Class - January 22, 1983

Primetime Wrestling - August 3, 1987

Shorties:

Brian Pillman

Ernie Ladd vs. Bruno Sammartino

Goldberg vs. Hollywood Hogan (Summer of 1998)

Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (WrestleMania XI)

Vader vs. Ric Flair

Week 2 - November 7th to November 13th:

Legends:

Most Powerful Families

Viva Las Divas

Big Ones:

MSG - December 28, 1990

TV Classics:

Monday Night War - April 7, 1997

Tuesday Night Titans - February 8, 1996

Week 3 - November 14th to November 20th:

Legends:

Roddy Piper vs. Hulk Hogan

Roddy Piper vs. Mr. T

Roddy Piper vs. Greg Valentine

Big Ones:

Survivor Series 95 (2 parts)

TV Classics:

History of ECW - January 28, 1996

NWA Wrestling - January 11, 1986

Saturday Night's Main Event - November 26, 1988

Primetime Wrestling - August 10, 1987

Shorties:

Dr. Death Tag Match (*crosses fingers for a MVC vs Steiners match... or something better I've never seen*)

Kevin Greene vs. Mongo McMichael

Ron Simmons vs. Cactus Jack

The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

William Perry

Week 4 - November 21st - November 27th:

Legends:

AWA Turkey Day Turmoil (might be a "Big One" - sometimes it's hard to tell where smaller events end up)

Big Ones:

Boston Gardens - November 9, 1985

TV Classics:

Monday Night War - April 21, 1997

Tuesday Night Titans - March 3, 1987 (a month leap!)

_____

Hopefully we get some good stuff out of the "mystery" Shorties (I would be really pleased if "Flair vs Vader" is the Starrcade 93 match... I can't imagine it being anything else). I have some nostalgic love for Survivor Series 1990 even though from a work rate perspective I realize it's not that great. I'll be sure to record that and 1995, which is pretty great, and finally own them. In 12 months this channel has made getting a good recording of Survivor Series 87, 90, 93, and 95 possible so kudos. Also glad we'll be seeing the awesome ambulance angle from the 4/21/97 Raw this month.

It pretty much has to be Flair/Vader from Starrcade '93... I can't think of another match they had that would be featured.

Also real happy to see that Piper/Hart (Has to be from Wrestlemania 8) and Piper/Valentine (The brutal dog-collar match from the first Starrcade) will be featured as well.

Well they could do a swerve and show a really awful WCW match for the US title between Hart and Piper. But yeah, it will be nice to see this in pristine digital quality (my VHS tape from the Mania Collection won't even play on my main TV anymore - actually, none of those SLP recordings will, my widescreen just gives me a "No Signal" message and shows a black screen).

I think Flair and Vader also had a cage match at SuperBrawl in 1994. But yeah the Starrcade 93 one is the obvious choice to show.

I will have to see SS 1990 and 95. I haven't seen the 1990 show in years.

Guest shadylpete

"Coming in November ...join us for the biggest family reunion in WWE History. 24/7 Online will feature many memorable matches from The Guerrero's, Hart's, Funk's, Von Erich's, and The McMahon's. Also, witness the debut of Hulkamania on Raw along with many classic Survivor Series matches. Don't miss anything, join 24/7 Online now!"

-From WWE.com

I'm assuming the debut of hulkamania, means hogan's debut on raw

I expect the Pillman match to just be ripped off of the DVD (my bet is on Pillman vs Lyger from Superbrawl II), but I've been surprised before by the Shorties choices.

I hope it's the Pillman/Liger match. They cut out Jesse's commentary on the Pillman DVD.

Fair enough, but when 24/7 programs are ripped off of a DVD, they stay the way they were (ex. Demolition's music being edited out of Mania 5 despite it being used all the time on 24/7). Hopefully if that is the match they take it from their SB2 master, but it's all speculation right now.

as I said before ss '90 holds a most special place in my memory as the first ppv I ever saw, and the first time I remember watching a wrestling show and getting into it. cant wait to get it on dvd.

plus I never saw ss 95 (outside of bret-diesel on the bret dvd) so thats cool

as I said before ss '90 holds a most special place in my memory as the first ppv I ever saw, and the first time I remember watching a wrestling show and getting into it. cant wait to get it on dvd.

plus I never saw ss 95 (outside of bret-diesel on the bret dvd) so thats cool

Doesn't hurt that it's also the debut of the Undertaker, and man... Piper and Monsoon make him look like a million bucks right out of the gate with their commentary.

The Pillman thing is a 6 man tag from Stampede. The rest is what was expected.

The NWA show has a Magnum vs. Barbarian match on it. No, I have not watched these already.

Pay close attention to Tully Blanchard's interview at the beginning of the WCW show...

He refers to the 4 Horsemen before they are officially formed. He says, "Arn likes to talk about the 4 Horsemen..." in relation to Ole Anderson's then injury and how that makes 3.

24/7 Online Matches for November 1:

Raw: Episode 5February 15, 1993 | Approx. run time: 42 mins.This is one episode of Raw you don't want to miss. First, there's a huge battle royal featuring Shawn Michaels, Owen Hart, Kamala, Razor Ramon and other WWE Superstars. Then the main event has Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake making his long awaited wrestling return as he takes on The "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. This is your chance to find out why Raw was quickly becoming the biggest show on Monday nights.

Introducing: Carlito - SmackDown, Carlito vs. John CenaOctober 7, 2004 | Approx. run time: 28 mins.Carlito's debut is very special considering he's the only second-generation Superstar to get a title opportunity in his first match. Watch what happens when Carlito challenges John Cena for the United States Championship. Would Cena be able to retain the title or would he become the first person to get spit in the face for not being cool?

Bonus feature: Exclusive interview with Carlito on his debut.

Survivor Series: Savage, Duggan, Roberts, Steamboat & Beefcake vs. Honky Tonk Man, Race, Davis, Hercules & BassNovember 26, 1987 | Approx. run time: 30 mins.Here's your chance to relive the very first Survivor Series match in WWE history. Team captain Randy Savage challenges team captain and Intercontinental Champion Honky Tonk Man. Would the Macho Man be able to lead his team to victory or would the Honky Tonk Man "shake, rattle and roll" out a win?

Survivor Series: Tag Team Elimination MatchNovember 24, 1988 | Approx. run time: 42 mins.One of the most unique versions of Survivor Series occurred in 1988 when almost every tag team in the WWE participated in one elimination style match. This included the Powers of Pain, Hart Foundation, British Bulldogs, Jim Powers & Paul Roma, The Rockers, Demolition, The Conquistadors, Brainbusters, Fabulous Rougeaus and Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov. The catch was that if one partner was eliminated, the entire team must leave. Which team would go on to prove its dominance over every other tag team in the WWE?

Survivor Series: The Hulkamaniacs vs. The Million Dollar TeamNovember 23, 1989 | Approx. run time: 29 mins.Could "The Hulkamaniacs" defeat "The Million Dollar Team" at the 1989 Survivor Series? Hulk Hogan had an all-star team with Demolition and Jake "The Snake" Roberts. However Ted DiBiase spent his cash well and teamed with The Powers of Pain and Zeus. Could DiBiase's expensive team end Hulkamania? Watch to find out!

Survivor Series: Team Flair vs. Team PiperNovember 27, 1991 | Approx. run time: 25 mins.Only one year ago Ric Flair and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper won the World Tag Team Championship together. That's why it's hard to believe that 16 years ago they were battling Survivor Series team captains. With a Hall of Fame team consisting of Roddy Piper and Bret Hart, would the dirtiest player in the game find a way to survive? There's only one way to get that answer and that's by checking out this match!

History of the Intercontinental Title: Part VINovember 1, 2008 | Approx. run time: 43 mins.When Ricky Steamboat won the Intercontinental Championship from Randy Savage, most fans expected one of the most successful reigns in WWE history. Although historical, it certainly wasn't lengthy as the Honky Tonk Man practically stole the title from Steamboat three months into his reign. The Honky Tonk Man would go on to claim to be "The Greatest Intercontinental Champion of All Time." Find out if he lived up to that name as we look at Championship matches against Ricky Steamboat, Randy Savage and Brutus Beefcake.

NWA Starrcade: Ole & Arn Anderson vs. Wahoo McDaniel & Billy Jack HaynesNovember 28, 1985 | Approx. run time: 10 mins.The Andersons were two of the toughest wrestlers to ever grace the NWA. Check out one of their most famous matches from Starrcade 1985. As one of the biggest shows in the NWA, Starrcade set the standard for tag team wrestling when Ole and Arn wrestled Wahoo McDaniel and Billy Jack Haynes. Watch this classic battle.

WCCW: David, Fritz, & Mike Von Erich vs. The Fabulous FreebirdsMay 6, 1984 | Approx. run time: 12 mins.As the Andersons were a famous name in the NWA, The Von Erichs were the face of WCCW. One of their most famous family rivalries was against The Freebirds. Check out their battle in front of a huge stadium of fans in Texas. If you've never seen a match from WCCW, this is the one to watch.

SmackDown: Eddie & Chavo Guerrero vs. The World's Greatest Tag TeamSeptember 18, 2003 | Approx. run time: 12 mins.The Guerreros might go down as the most famous wrestling family ever. In ECW, WCW and WWE, the Guerreros always put on a memorable show no matter where they were on the card. On an edition of SmackDown back in 2003, an Iron Man Match for the WWE Championship was the main event. Eddie and Chavo went out that night and put on a wrestling clinic with The World's Greatest Tag Team and stole the show. By the end of the evening the fans weren't talking about who the new WWE Champion was, they were talking about how they just saw one of the best tag team matches ever.

Guest bp2007

Ooooh that was totally a shot against Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar during the Guerreros/WGTT match description for the 24/7 Online.

I haven't seen many of the old Survivor Series matches so this month is interesting, I just hope they aren't too boring.

Looks like a helluva lineup to me. FYI, the IC Title Special features:

- Steamboat vs Honky (Title change)

- Honky vs Savage (Philly - Cage)

- Honky vs Steamboat (MSG - Lumberjack)

- Honky vs Beefcake (WM IV)

I heartily approve of that line-up. As I've mentioned a few times, my tape collection is woefully short of Survivor Series shows, and hey, there's the best (only good?) match from the 91 edition! Of course, bad as the show was, it was my first live event ever and holds a special place in my heart.

Is that tag match 42 minutes on the Coliseum release, or is this the first time in 19 years people can see it in full? Even at that, I haven't seen the show since 1992.

Watching the Pillman 6-man was funny because I was just reading about Stampede revival from that era in Bret's book. Bret goes on about Bruce's overuse of ballshot finishes... and how did this match end? By someone crotching themselves on the ropes!

Short video clips from the November Preview revealed (assuming they're an accurate depiction) that "Rock vs Austin" is (naturally) the WM 17 match and "Dr. Death Tag Match" does indeed appear to be a WCW Miracle Violence Connection match.

In regards to the mega tag match from 1988, it was unclipped on the CV version to my knowledge. It was the other two matches on the show (not the main event of course) that were chopped from 30 min to about 10.

I'm waiting for them to update the 24/7 Online main page so I can see what's coming up on 11/15. I would presume a match involving the Funks, McMahons, and Harts since they've covered the Von Erichs, Andersons, and Guerreros.

Someone clarify this for me....were Williams and Gordy actually called the Miracle Violence Connection in WCW? I don't really remember that, I always just thought they were simply Williams and Gordy.

I don't know... I thought it was a made up internet term for the team but then I heard it actually used. My memory of this is hearing it while watching a downloaded Clash two years ago, but I'm thinking it might have been me thinking it was a name Scott Keith made up then hearing it confirmed somewhere else on the net.

I don't know... I thought it was a made up internet term for the team but then I heard it actually used. My memory of this is hearing it while watching a downloaded Clash two years ago, but I'm thinking it might have been me thinking it was a name Scott Keith made up then hearing it confirmed somewhere else on the net.

My guess is that it comes from Japan.

Thumbs up for Rick Rude's 1987 multi-coloured tights. Also, Rick Martel and JYD seems like a bizarre tag team combo. Anyway, here's next month's WWE.com preview:

DECEMBER 2007: SEASON'S BEATINGS

All month long, WWE 24/7 On Demand celebrates “Season’s Beatings” with a look at the most memorable holiday matches and moments in wrestling history.

LEGENDS

WWE Hall of Fame: Jesse Ventura – Few WWE Superstars have had careers as fascinating or as diverse at Jesse Ventura. Follow “The Body” from his early days in the AWA to Superstardom both in the ring and on the microphone in the WWE. See how Ventura translated his brash attitude and incredible popularity all the way to becoming Governor of the State of Minnesota. Relive classic matches, interviews and Jesse’s 2004 WWE Hall of Fame induction.

History of the WWE Championship – For almost half a century, the goal of every WWE Superstar has been to capture the WWE Championship. Relive the incredible history of this WWE title and the men who have chased it through this collection of incredible matches. Follow the great champions of the 70s, like Pedro Morales, Bruno Sammartino, Superstar Billy Graham and Bob Backlund. Watch the dawn of Hulkamania, as Hulk Hogan battles the likes of the Iron Sheik, Andre the Giant and “Macho Man” Randy Savage. See the new breed of Champions in the ‘90s, including Bret “Hitman” Hart, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and Triple H. Plus, see the Superstars of the new century, like John Cena, Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle, fight for the Gold.

THE BIG ONES

WCW StarrCade 1998 – WCW’s marque event is jam-packed with action. Goldberg puts the WCW Championship, and his incredible undefeated streak, on the line when he battles Kevin Nash. Ric Flair takes on Eric Bischoff. Rey Mysterio, Billy Kidman and Juventud Guerrera square off in a Triangle Match for the WCW Cruiserweight title. Plus, Diamond Dallas Page faces The Giant and much more.

WWE Old School – Two (2) new and rarely-seen cards from classic wrestling venues. Head back to the Meadowlands in 1984 as Hulk Hogan defends the WWE Championship vs. Big John Studd, “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka takes on Cowboy Bob Orton and Roddy Piper hosts a special edition of “Piper’s Pit”. Then it’s the day after Christmas 1987 at Madison Square Garden as the Honky Tonk Man defends the WWE Intercontinental title against “Macho Man” Randy Savage and Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat faces “Ravishing” Rick Rude.

TV CLASSICS

WWE Tribute to the Troops: Christmas from Baghdad – WWE Superstars head to Iraq in December 2006 to entertain the troops and support their incredible efforts. WWE Champion John Cena takes on Edge. WWE Intercontinental Champion Jeff Hardy battles Umaga. The Undertaker in action, an appearance by the gorgeous WWE Divas and much more.

Raw Christmas Special ’97 – Celebrate the Holidays WWE-style with a wild night on RAW. Santa Claus comes to town, but it’s Stone Cold Steve Austin who decides who’s been naughty or nice. Triple H and DX deliver a special Christmas treat. The Undertaker battles The Rock and much more.

TNT Holiday Special – WWE Hall of Famer Gene Okerlund looks back at classic Holiday Moments on Tuesday Night Titans including a trip to Christmas past with “Ebenezer” Piper, cookie making with Captain Lou Albano and George “The Animal” Steele, gift ideas with Jesse “The Body” Ventura and much more.

SHORTIES

All month long leading to Christmas Day, check in each day on WWE 24/7 and see Superstars, Divas and Legends deliver the gift of their favorite matches. Your “Shorties Santas” include Triple H, John Cena, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, CM Punk, Mr. Kennedy, Pat Patterson and Maria

Much like "Tombstone", the Championship DVD was something I never bothered to buy but would gladly watch in separated parts on 24/7. That Raw was on last year but that's fine.

Starrcade '98 should be a fun watch just for the historical fact that it's one of the shows that REALLY contributed to the death of WCW.

Oh man, Ted DiBiase kicking a couple out of the honeymoon suite is GOLD. These segments are just too good.

It was funny reading in Bret's book that they had to kayfabe Ted's gimmick, so they paid for him to fly first class and get chauffeured around town and what have you. That's so great.

You will be once you actually WATCH that Starrcade. The first couple of cruiser matches are good stuff, but after that the show starts veering in the horrifying direction WCW went in for most of 1999.

That said, I've always defended Nash beating Goldberg as decent booking. It's just what they did after it that sucked.

I saw it on the night that it happened. I remember it being terrible. Terrible in a way that it could still be watched, that is. If it was boring, that's an entirely different story.

My parents ordered both PPV's that month. Cause it was the month of my birthday, and all that. And IYH: Rock Bottom, now that was a boring show.