TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
muzz

'Spaced' American Version

October 30, 2007 - The British cult hit Spaced could get an American remake, according to both Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. The series has gained interest and popularity through the years, as several key participants -- Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost -- went on to success with the films Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Spaced is in development at FOX with executive producers McG and Robert Green attached, along with Adam Burr (The New Adventures of Old Christine, Desperate Housewives, Will and Grace), who will write the pilot. The original series ran from 1999 - 2001 and starred Pegg and Jessica Stevenson, who wrote the episodes together, as roommates and Frost as their military obsessed friend. Wright directed every episode. The show was known for its frequent and elaborate pop culture jokes and references, as it centered around a particularly geeky group - Pegg's character worked at a comic book store.

What's bound to get fans up Wright and Pegg upset (this writer included) is that Wright has posted on his MySpace page that "no-one has been in touch with me at all" regarding the remake. He adds that "Simon [Pegg] was never contacted either. I don't really want to get involved at all, but it infuriates me that they would a) never bother to get in touch but still b) splash me and Simon's names all over the trade announcements and infer that we're involved in the same way Ricky [Gervais] & Steve [Merchant] were with The Office [remake]."

IGN.com

The impression I got from Spaced is this; it was a decent show by people who could clearly do something really great. It's like Reservoir Dogs, yeah, Quentin made a really good movie, but it was more that he showed promise that he could do something really great, and then he went and made Pulp Fiction. So, yeah, I see no reason to remake Spaced. It's combining two ideas (The Office being a hit and Shaun/Fuzz being a hit) that have no real corelation.

Spaced for me was one of the finer Channel 4 comedies along side things like Father Ted and Peep Show. It pisses me off that this would be remade. It's fucking sickening.

And fucking Mcg?! The man can't do anything right!

This is, quite simply, a fucking shitty idea. Just leave it alone. If people want Spaced then just show the fucking original series. Christ, this pisses me off.

It could be good but with the people involved, I doubt it.

Though the one good thing that can come out of this is the original series getting released on DVD over here. I have no idea why it hasn't.

Spaced for me was one of the finer Channel 4 comedies along side things like Father Ted and Peep Show. It pisses me off that this would be remade. It's fucking sickening.

And fucking Mcg?! The man can't do anything right!

He directed "We are Marshall" and helped kill the "Charlie's Angels" movie franchise. The man has done great things. He has mild ability but this just sounds like a disaster.

Course with the right actor, it could hold water.

Shame you Americans think stuff like 'Arrested Development' is good or this might be acceptable. I'd be more livid if you types attempted 'Black Books', but yeah, American and English humour shouldn't really try and blend together, what's the appeal there?

Shame you Americans think stuff like 'Arrested Development' is good or this might be acceptable. I'd be more livid if you types attempted 'Black Books', but yeah, American and English humour shouldn't really try and blend together, what's the appeal there?

I think I get their train of thought; Americans liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. The Office American Style is a hit show. So why not do a The Office style remake of a show done by the people who made Shaun and Fuzz? Like I said, I don't agree with the thought, but I can kinda see why they think there might be appeal.

I just don't see the point in doing American version of British shows, why not just show the orginals? I mean we don't re-make the shows that you guys made.

I just don't see the point in doing American version of British shows, why not just show the orginals? I mean we don't re-make the shows that you guys made.

Oh, come now. You don't expect the average, dim-witted, trailer-living American to get British shows, do you? The British humor would just be beyond their mental capacity.

I hope that was sarcasm.

The general concept of Spaced sounds like some pilot that gets kicked around every year. There is nothing special about it. At all.

What made Spaced decent(really, it isn't THAT goddamned incredible) is that the people involved were/are incredibly talented and you could see that.

So basically for the American version to work they need to take a director and writers who are on the edge of greatness and get them to do a sitcom. That is why it won't work. If they knew who was on the edge of greatness, they would just get them to do movies that would make more money.

If I want to watched spaced, I will just throw in my fake DVD set and be happy.

It could be good but with the people involved, I doubt it.

Though the one good thing that can come out of this is the original series getting released on DVD over here. I have no idea why it hasn't.

The same reason The Wonder Years is released on DVD yet, or why Freaks and Geeks is like $90 for the series on DVD. They are working on getting the rights for the music and other shit like that. When I met Edgar at the Hot Fuzz screening he said they were close to it, but it was still going to take some time.

i have no problem with this being remade since I don't watch much TV to begin with since most of the shows suck. This would just be another show that I miss.

Considering Coupling bombed with an American remake and is a much better show, this needs more than a good actor to make it work.

McG

**** this project.

What made Spaced decent(really, it isn't THAT goddamned incredible) is that the people involved were/are incredibly talented and you could see that.

What he said.

I think you underestimate the awesome humour of the show. Granted, Pegg/Frost/Stevenson and especially Heap made the humour golden. But the script itself was a work of genius. And Wright's vision of the show was also top notch.

I'm still amazed that Mark Heap doesn't get that much work.

I'd love to see Mark Heap in more stuff. He has been absolute gold in both Spaced and Green Wing.

Isn't he in Stardust or whatever it's called as well?

Just checked IMDB and apperntly he is.

Intersting side note, I've worked with the main star of Stardust (Charlie Cox) a few weeks back.