TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Your first favorite band

I used to go on road trips with my Dad a lot who listened to nothing but classic rock. For a while, my favorite group to listen to was Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Good stuff that I still enjoy to this day.

I got big into Pet Shop Boys and still consider them in my top 5 right now along with KoRn, Prince, ICP and Twiztid.

There's something about this combination that's utterly macabre.

I know I've said this another thread but I still like all of the music I liked when I was a kid. Now my taste in music in middle school was shit. Hardly anybody can say they had a good taste of music back in middle school.

I once wrote a letter to Fishbone that I'm sure was about as embarrassing as any typical middle-school fan letter. What probably sent it over the top reaction-wise for its recipient (not that I ever got a response) was that, lacking a nearby pen or pencil and really wanting to write the letter as soon as possible, I used an orange crayon. I'm sure it looked and read like it was written by a retard.

The Beatles. My parents had the big blue double LP, and I remember jamming out to "I Am The Walrus", "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "Revolution" as a five year old. Those three are still my favorite Beatles songs today, in fact, give or take "A Day in the Life" and maybe "Come Together."

I once wrote a letter to Fishbone that I'm sure was about as embarrassing as any typical middle-school fan letter. What probably sent it over the top reaction-wise for its recipient (not that I ever got a response) was that, lacking a nearby pen or pencil and really wanting to write the letter as soon as possible, I used an orange crayon. I'm sure it looked and read like it was written by a retard.

You think that's embarrassing? I wrote a fan letter to Jaleel White (TV's Urkel!) and even sadder, I didn't get a response. Damn him!

I sent letters to the respective fan clubs of Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, and Alice in Chains stating only that "(band name) RULES!" Sadly, it didn't occur to me that I needed stamps to make the process work, and they were returned by my mail carrier. I don't know why I didn't just ask my parents for stamps. I did later on become a member of the Gwar fan club.

The first band I can ever remember loving, I mean absolutely loving to the point where I'd listen to them all the time, was Metallica. And from there I went into Slayer, and then The Misfits. Had a period (which most of you remember) where I sucked Shadows Fall's nards, but I can still say that The Misfits are my favorites. But originally, it was Metallica.

I remember really being into Michael Jackson when "Thriller" was the rage. Later, I was wearing out "Weird" Al cassettes. Around 8th to 10th grade, it was probably Nirvana. And now it's time for my post to get particularly vulnerable: I went through phases of the Presidents of the United States of America and 311. I still enjoy PUSA though. And that's my confessional.

First off it was probably Green Day because of Dookie. Thought that album was so bad ass. Then I started to listen to old school Metallica (Master of Puppets, Kill, Em All, etc) and they have been my top band ever since.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Black Sabbath, driven primarily by the first album cover when I was a kid. Also, any song with cursing.

Korn, it's such a shame that they went really shit after Issues.

Really? I'd almost say that it all started going down hill with Follow the Leader. Sure, it wasn't really a bad album, but the writing was on the wall for what was to come.

Yeah. As the music actually got a little better and was more than just awful noise, ie. actual songs, their fans started hating them. Proving, once again, that 90's bands were awful.

First bands I remember really liking were Catatonia and Madness. A Madness Greatest Hits was the first CD album I ever owned.

The first band I remember like was Creedence Clearwater Revival. Apparently, when I was like 5ish, I knew a bunch of the words to a bunch of their songs.

My first concert : The Jackson 5.....but that was a friend's birthday party thing. My first actual concert that I wanted to see was KISS and Cheap Trick at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1979.

Powerman 5000.

You know, it's funny. I love White Zombie, and really like Rob's solo stuff, and also enjoy PM5K...but I could never REALLY get into 'em, you know? Every album is just too...different. Mega!!Kung-Fu Radio is more like a rap/rock with some funk and some hardcore here and there, but overall a weird listen. And then there's the groove-laden White Zombie-lite Tonight the Stars Revolt!, which shot PM5K into the mainstream after the success of "When Worlds Collide" and subsequently "Nobody's Real" (which, I still feel, is a really solid radio song). But then...yeah. Lineup changes, Anyone for Doomsday getting shelved due to 9/11, and we get Transform which was too different. In much the same way as Dope's Life is too different from Felons and Revolutionaries (for my money, THE best nu-metal album ever, to the point where it could actually be considered industrial metal at times) for fans of the initial sound to enjoy, Transform - while a fun mainstream rock album - wasn't good enough for the band to maintain any real status on a mainstream level. I've only heard the title track off Destroy What You Enjoy, mostly thanks to my buddy Will, but it's more of Transform, which at least shows continuity for once in their career.

I'm still waiting for a good 90's band, luke-o.