TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PUT THAT DICK IN MY MOUTH!

Jay-Z - "American Gangster"

This leaked over the weekend and I've listened to nothing else since I acquired it. It's almost completely different from pretty much everything else in his catalog. There's no club tracks, no real concessions to pop radio, no misogyny (!!), and very little "God MC" talk. This is the most direct and down-to-earth and, well, human he's sounded since Reasonable Doubt. It's remarkably unified and consistent, lacking even a single truly awful track (a unique achievement for a Jay-Z album). Overall I'd rank it just below The Blueprint and the aforementioned Reasonable Doubt.

On the guest appearances (aside from Beans), it seems like he's trying extra hard

to sound tight to ensure he's not outshined on his own album. In Lil Wayne's case,

I've been hearing he pulled a Eminem "Renegade"** and put his verse on the track,

well after Lil Wayne had already completed his verse. Other than that, I have no qualms

about the album, and as it stands is a far superior album to his last CD release.

**Eminem killed anything Jay-Z could have ever said on the track "Renegade".

Bullshit. Jay's second verse on Renegade was incredible and on par with Ems stuff in the song. His first verse...well..

American Gangsta is good. Weak showing by Wayne though as i expected more from him. But then he did "Gossip" at the BET awards so he is free to suck for a little while now after bringing the awsome.

Good album though. Very early 90's feel to it.

Guest Ridicule

Well, I'm new here, but this topic caught my eye so i thought i'd give my 2 pennies on Jigga's newest drop....and IMO, it's just another hot joint from the king....to be honest, i don't even like the "Hello Brooklyn" track wit Weezy, i think Wayne came weak on it, didn't like the hook & his verse was decent at best, one of the "filler" tracks on the album to me.....highlights of the album include "Roc Boyz" (luv that video too), "Pray", "No Hook", "Ignorant Shit" & "Success", which Nas killed....anyone hatin' on Jay is just mad cause they favorite rapper can't do it like he do it, 10+ years, 10 platinum albums, get familiar wit King Carter.....

YADIG?!?!?

Well, I'm new here, but this topic caught my eye so i thought i'd give my 2 pennies on Jigga's newest drop....and IMO, it's just another hot joint from the king....to be honest, i don't even like the "Hello Brooklyn" track wit Weezy, i think Wayne came weak on it, didn't like the hook & his verse was decent at best, one of the "filler" tracks on the album to me.....highlights of the album include "Roc Boyz" (luv that video too), "Pray", "No Hook", "Ignorant Shit" & "Success", which Nas killed....anyone hatin' on Jay is just mad cause they favorite rapper can't do it like he do it, 10+ years, 10 platinum albums, get familiar wit King Carter.....

YADIG?!?!?

I think a lot of the reason Wayne verse wasn't as good as it could of been, is because it was his track and Jay liked it, So Wayne gave it too him. Jay decided to keep Wayne on the Track doing the hook and the bridge, So Wayne just went along with it instaed of pulling a eminem or Saigon. The track is straight it goes along with the story of the album perfectly. American Dreamin leads in to Hello Brooklyn, It's like Jay dreams of success in American Dreamin with his friends, and when they hit the turf the next day it's the beginning of their life in the game, So they're saying 'Hello" to Brooklyn. The whole album continues like this and is done brilliantly. This has become my 2nd favorite album by Jay off and on, because it's some days I think Blueprint is better. But it's damn sure in the top 3 of all his work, which speaks volumes.

YADIG?!?!?

this post almost made me dislike the album if that is possible.