TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

The X-Files Movie

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2007/10/the-x-files-mov.html

By now you know the truth because it's out there: Mulder and Scully are back. The long-awaited film sequel based on the beloved cult TV series will begin production this December in Vancouver, according to Twentieth Century Fox, with a release date set for July 25, 2008. (An official title is still being hammered out.) Creator Chris Carter says that the movie will focus on a stand-alone mystery rather than exploring the show's dense mythology. Beyond that, he's not spilling details, only saying, "It will be scary."

So what finally got the long-gestating project off the ground? According to Carter, who will direct the movie and co-write the script with X-Files exec producer Frank Spotnitz, years of contract disputes with Fox were resolved when the threat of an impending writers' strike came to a head. "If we don't do it now and the strike was protracted, it would force the movie to come out several years from now," he says. "And that was too late. It was either now or never." We like that answer too.

Good stuff.

I think they shouldn't even bother referencing the confusing conspiracy crap. Just start it out with Mulder and Scully in the FBI, and let the hardcore nuts figure out during which time period it "makes sense".

Their standalone eps tended to be as good as most horror/supernatural movies, so this could be really cool. Assuming they stick to the spirit of the show, it'll be better than some of the mindless horror movies we usually get.

They was always talk of an X-Files Movie Franchise, and if they did it as stand alone movies based around horror stories and other cult things, it could work very well. Mulder and Scully have a fanbase and inbuilt history, so it wouldn't need THAT explained in the movies, just enough so the new fans can catch on.

I hope this works out well and we get a string of decent X-Files movies out over the next 5 years - though I am an X-Files mark.

I was hoping they'd pick up where they left off after the finale. The alien invasion is supposedly 5 years away.

Word. I'm hoping the movie sequel makes up for that lackluster final episode.

Good news from where I'm standing. I've always been a huge X-Files fan so I'm happy we'll get to see Agents Mulder and Scully again. This second movie could do wonders to revive the franchise for possible future films, and I'm down with the idea they could do stand alone "classic episode"-like movies, although a resolution to the final episode would be nice to see.

I'd like this one to be a standalone movie, maybe followed by a proper "conspiracy" movie, but one not too tied to the series end. Maybe like 5 years later, with Mulder and Scully "out" of the FBI, and the invasion starts (they can leave out how they left the FBI ie - the end of the series, intentionally vague to avoid confusing the shit out of everybody)

it has been said numerous times that the new movie will not have anything to do with the X-Files mythology, but in fact a monster of the week type deal. I have come to my conclusion that this is all false, given the fact that everything about this movie is being kept hush-hush.

1. The Directors Guild production list for British Columbia [1] lists a project named Done One, which is believed by many to be the codename for this project. The director of Done One is listed as Rich Tracers, an anagram of Chris Carter, the sequel's actual director. "The Crying Box Productions" is listed as the production company, instead of Carter's usual "Ten Thirteen Productions".

2. After it was revealed in "The Truth" (the final episode) that the day of final invasion is Dec. 22nd 2012, it seems odd that with that date so close Chris Carter would do a "monster of the week" movie.

I believe that speculation about the plot for the sequel is completely bogus and makes no sense at all since Chris Carter also confirmed that the movie will take place 5 years after the last episode.

Mulder and Scully are on the run, how the hell are they gonna solve a monster case when Mulder dosen't even work for the FBI. I just think that if these rumors of the plot are true, it can completely destroy the very soul of my beloved show.

Finally, if everyone believes half of the rumors floating around, dig on this. It had been said that David Ducovney stated that he and Carter would push to make this into a trilogy. Trilogies happen with the movies 2-3 years apart. And given the amount of time that Carter and Spotnitz have had off over the past several years, they could have more than one script written. The dates for a trilogy would line up perfectly...

2008 - Reintroduction of X-Files

2010 - Preperation for the invasion

2012 - The Final Invasion and ultimate ending that all X-Files fans have been dying to learn.

If they're back in the FBI, there's also the problem of addressing the fact there is an alien hybrid working there.

New pics:

xfiles1small.jpg

xfiles4small.jpg

Gillian Anderson is aging very well.

I wouldnt go that far, but the selection of clips was not very compelling, except for a shot of Mulder running which brought back memories, but I'm hoping that's not a real trailer and was just something they threw together for WonderCon. No reason why we should care about the agents in the snow or the long haired guy or whatever. Needs more Mulder and Scully plz.

I was a huge fan for the first 7 seasons, and I liked the first movie. I just don't see how they can't incoporate at least a little of the mythology story into this, maybe at the very least a teaser at the end setting up the next movie.

The title is just plain stupid. Especially at the end of the trailer, when the theme hits, "The X-Files" is shown, then "I want to Believe."

All excitement I had just went away after that. The whole edginess and the feelings associated with "The X-Files", then...hm...someone wants to believe. Great.