TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DerangedHermit

Fabulous Moolah has passed away

It's still ridiculous that Moolah isn't in the Observer Hall of Fame.

Depends on how you look at it. If her political manuvering is HOF-worthy on its own, then she should be in. If you think she needs more than that, then she's not.

Dave Meltzer and Bruce Mitchell discussed this, saying neither had ever heard of anyone going to a show or watching a show because of a Moolah match. She was never a draw at all, and her style and look wasn't impactful, except they realized for a woman to be a draw (sunny, sable, trish, etc..) due the exact opposite.

What is this "political maneuvering" people are talking about?

Used her wiles to get control of American women's wrestling (mainly the world title and training/booking the women for NWA territories) away from Billy Wolfe.

Sad to hear it. However, Moolah will be and should be remembered as the last great women's champion. In the days when you needed to be more than eye candy to hold the championship.

I know we should respect the dead and all, but that's ridiculous. She was a terrible wrestler who was champion due to charming people and making political coups, plus she's been blamed for women's wrestling in the US becoming a total sideshow as opposed to having some credibility as it did before she took over.

Why is it though that no one supplanted Moolah? Could one person really dominate to that degree? I can't blame it all on Moolah. Lou Thesz for example disliked womens wrestling, that certainly hurt. I question if womens' wrestling can truly succeed in some cultures. It worked in Japan the last 20-30 years, and that's about it. It was never hot in Mexico to my knowledge. The only promoter in the last 50 years to make money with womens' wrestling was ironically enough Vince McMahon. A lot of people will always view womens' wrestling as a shameful sideshow, no matter how it's booked.

Not that I'm on any sort of crusade here. It just seems more complicated than at first glance.

Used her wiles to get control of American women's wrestling (mainly the world title and training/booking the women for NWA territories) away from Billy Wolfe.

Having read about Billy Wolfe, is that a bad thing?

Sad to hear it. However, Moolah will be and should be remembered as the last great women's champion. In the days when you needed to be more than eye candy to hold the championship.

I know we should respect the dead and all, but that's ridiculous. She was a terrible wrestler who was champion due to charming people and making political coups, plus she's been blamed for women's wrestling in the US becoming a total sideshow as opposed to having some credibility as it did before she took over.

Why is it though that no one supplanted Moolah? Could one person really dominate to that degree? I can't blame it all on Moolah. Lou Thesz for example disliked womens wrestling, that certainly hurt. I question if womens' wrestling can truly succeed in some cultures. It worked in Japan the last 20-30 years, and that's about it. It was never hot in Mexico to my knowledge. The only promoter in the last 50 years to make money with womens' wrestling was ironically enough Vince McMahon. A lot of people will always view womens' wrestling as a shameful sideshow, no matter how it's booked.

Not that I'm on any sort of crusade here. It just seems more complicated than at first glance.

She was in control of all of the female bookings and trained her stable of wrestlers to work her hair-pulling style.

Having read about Billy Wolfe, is that a bad thing?

I didn't say it was, but it's not like she was any better than him.

Depends on how you look at it. If her political manuvering is HOF-worthy on its own, then she should be in. If you think she needs more than that, then she's not.

She was the most important figure in women's wrestling for nearly three decades. She trained a great number of the successful female wrestlers during that time. Her influence may not have been for the best but God knows she was important.

I suppose my belief that she belongs in the Hall is more along the lines of the DVDVR-style "OOH THEY PUT DIRTY KURT ANGLE IN THERE WHY ISN'T BUNKHOUSE BUCK IN THERE HE COULD THROW A GOOD PUNCH" arguments but there's a great number of people in there less deserving. I mean, there's a freakin' ring announcer in there. I'd even say that she's more deserving than, say, Jim Cornette.

She was the most important figure in women's wrestling for nearly three decades. She trained a great number of the successful female wrestlers during that time. Her influence may not have been for the best but God knows she was important.

Lord Littlebrook and Sky Low Low have comparable candidacies.

I'd even say that she's more deserving than, say, Jim Cornette.

Cornette is talented and drew money.

When did Cornette draw money? His fabulous main event run managing Yokozuna in '93? Was it the SMW/WCW crossover feud earlier that year where HE CAME IN AND CUT A PROMO ON JIM HERD AND THE DUMB FUCKS WHO RAN HIM OUT OF WCW SO THAT THE PEOPLE WOULD THINK IT WAS A SHOOT AND THAT SHIT-FOR-BRAINS ERIC BISCHOFF CENSORED IT BECAUSE HE WAS AFRAID OF THE TRUTH? Was it his years as a mid-card manager in the faltering Crockett territory?

Good for Moolah. Seriously. Wrestling is such a fucking sideshow, why should we care if people use politics to get to the top? Fuck it, if anything I respect them more for pulling it off and surviving for so long.

Good for Moolah. Seriously. Wrestling is such a fucking sideshow, why should we care if people use politics to get to the top? Fuck it, if anything I respect them more for pulling it off and surviving for so long.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, just that it's realistically the crux of her candidacy.

Another steroid related death? Damn Vince! Will Mero add her to his list?

Kidding, kidding. But I did hear that Mae Young will be on Nancy Grace this Tuesday...

All seriousness, RIP Moolah. I don't know shit about her in-ring skills, but she managed to adapt and find a role in the modern era, and that deserves a tip of the hat.

I'm actually looking forward to Dave writing about her life in the WON. Most people, myself included, are only familliar with her modern run from 1984-87, when she was already way over the hill, I know little to nothing about her pre-WWF career, and it'll be an interesting story about not only Moolah, but Womens Wrestling in general.

This is sad news, may she rest in peace.

...At least this might put a stop to Mae Young trying to get naked on TV.

At least with the Observer HoF, entrance is determined by votes from a mixture of current wrestlers, former wrestlers, historians, etc. With the WWE HoF, whether you go in depends on whether Vince McMahon likes you that year.

The Rock thought enough of getting into the Observer HoF that he wrote to Meltzer about it, saying he appreciated the sentiment from those who voted for him, and also talking about his various opponents and what he thought of them.

An amazing testimony to Moolah's career was that she started wrestling the year Ric Flair was born and kept a presence in the ring into her late 70s. She started the year after the original National Wrestling Alliance was born and outlasted it, WCW, the AWA, WCCW, Mid-South/UWF and other promotions we grew up watching.

This is sad news, may she rest in peace.

...At least this might put a stop to Mae Young trying to get naked on TV.

That sum's up my feeling exactly.

I feel bad that that was pretty much my first thought when reading the news.

RIP, what an amazing lady! We will miss you...

Here is a place to leave your condolences to her family

Credit: RHGLazyAzz

Give Moolah the respect she deserves-PLEASE READ and reply

http://www.dunbarfunerals.com/serviceinfo.php

http://www.dunbarfunerals.com/serviceinfo2...alid=1194215708

This link is for funeral details

http://dunbar.createatribute.com/registryM...alid=1194215708

This link is for her obituary

http://dunbar.createatribute.com/registryG...alid=1194215708

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT LINK

Please visit this link and sign the guestbook. It is the least we can do for a lady of this caliber. It is still early and it looks like I may have been one of the first ones to get to sign. If you really do admire her and respect her, then lets sign the guest book.

Thanks

RHG