TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Basketball Thread - November '07

Might as well start one as games that count start tonight with the prelim rounds of the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament. Here's the first round schedule:

November 5th

Tennessee-Martin at Memphis

Richmond vs. Maine

November 6th

Central Kentucky at Kentucky

Gardner Webb vs. Alabama A&M

November 7th

Morgan State at Connecticut

Buffalo vs. Ohio Valley

November 8th

San Francisco at Oklahoma

Denver vs. East Central Oklahoma

Gee I wonder if this tournament is slanted in anyway?

Here's the t.v. schedule for the opening week that has no games of note and ESPN doesn't begin their coverage until next week, shockingly with a Duke game

And finally the AP Top 25 which has the exact same Top 10 as the Coaches.

Guest Smues

Great Alaskan Shootout tickets go on sale next week. Sadly Texas Tech doesn't play until Thanksgiving so I won't be able to see them, but on the plus side I will get to see EWU, and I won't have to see Gongaga, so huzzah.

USC opens against Mercer this Saturday, but outside of that, the OOC isn't going to be too fun. They gave Citadel a game at their place, then have to go play the Cocks, come back for OU, and play Kansas, then travel to Memphis. The latter two games come on the 2nd and 4th. OUCH.

Continuing the GLIAC (D-II) "dominance" over the Big Ten, Findlay beat Ohio State in an exhibition game.

I know these games don't count, but that's still pretty embarrasing.

OSU loses an exhibition...MSU loses an exhibition. The Big 10 must flat out suck this year. Maybe IU can break through for the first time since about 1993.

Though Memphis opened it up on Richmond late I have to say they looked pretty shitty to me. Hopefully we'll get that UK vs. Memphis title game to this tourney. That would be interesting.

I saw that Georgia Tech didn't get a single vote in either preseason poll even though each one had 50+ teams listed. That doesn't make me very optimistic about the coming season.

OSU loses an exhibition...MSU loses an exhibition. The Big 10 must flat out suck this year. Maybe IU can break through for the first time since about 1993.

Though Memphis opened it up on Richmond late I have to say they looked pretty shitty to me. Hopefully we'll get that UK vs. Memphis title game to this tourney. That would be interesting.

Well, it seems like Kentucky may be worse than Memphis. It's the 2nd half, and Kentucky is down by 12..58-46

Wow. I can't believe what I saw tonight. UK has been a lame team for the past couple of years but they at least could squash jobber teams. I can't honestly think of a worse loss UK has ever had. Anyone got a more embarrassing defeat?

And Kentucky loses.

The Tubby Smith Hate Parade is in full swing.

Nah, Tubby's laughing right now. I do hope, however, that Billy Gillespie hasn't unpacked.

When I mean the Tubby Smith Hate Parade is going on right now, I meant that a big group of the Kentucky fans in all their delusional glory are blaming Tubby's Recruiting for their loss to Gardner-Webb. It's almost like that they missed the whole game, despite watching it. A big group of them totally ignore that the coach on the floor, and the players (Even though there were mostly Tubby's, that excuse holds very little water when you just got ran out of your gym by more than 10) were not in sync and looked horrible out there.

And here is some proof of this great delusion: http://kentucky.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=8...383&style=2

I guess I should have posted this with that post, but better late than never, right?

I couldn't get that link to work, but I have a feeling I know what it says anyway. I can see what they are saying to some extent, since UK's leftover roster isn't much. The front line in particular is horrendous without Randolph Morris and Ramel Bradley is playing out of position at PG with Jasper hurting. But still, losing to GARDNER-WEBB?

I've said it for a while now about UK, but they need to bottom out. Under Tubby it was never going to happen because they would stay decent enough to make the tourney. Time to go 12-20, get rid of the dead wood, and let Gillispie bring in his own players.

I couldn't get that link to work, but I have a feeling I know what it says anyway. I can see what they are saying to some extent, since UK's leftover roster isn't much. The front line in particular is horrendous without Randolph Morris and Ramel Bradley is playing out of position at PG with Jasper hurting. But still, losing to GARDNER-WEBB?

I've said it for a while now about UK, but they need to bottom out. Under Tubby it was never going to happen because they would stay decent enough to make the tourney. Time to go 12-20, get rid of the dead wood, and let Gillispie bring in his own players.

You summed up my thoughts exactly. I can't believe we lost to Gardner-Webb but its not the end of the world and there is still a lot of basketball to be played. If any UK fans thought that this team was going to suddenly make a deep tournament run this year they were delusional because I wouldn't be surprised if UK gets bounced in the first round of the NCAA's this year (if we even make the tourney).

Dude, at best UK might be on the bubble but with a loss to Gardner-Webb on the resume. That is such a killer loss that anyone would get in over UK that was also a bubble team.

I am actually interested in what Gardner-Webb does vs. UConn in this tourney. If they make a showing maybe it will seem that they are a rising mid major....of course they might just get squashed.

Dude, at best UK might be on the bubble but with a loss to Gardner-Webb on the resume. That is such a killer loss that anyone would get in over UK that was also a bubble team.

I am actually interested in what Gardner-Webb does vs. UConn in this tourney. If they make a showing maybe it will seem that they are a rising mid major....of course they might just get squashed.

Of course, this all depends on the Bulldogs overall record (minus non-division I teams), SOS and RPI. If some reason that Gardner-Webb goes on some unbelivable tear and has really good numbers all around, then Kentucky looks somewhat better in this loss. Of course, the chances of Gardner-Webb tanking, and Kentucky having an Albatross on their overall profile are that much more likely, but lets face it, no one saw last year's Butler team coming.

O.J. Mayo scored 32 points in his debut but USC is upset by Mercer 96-81.

The next preseason tournament of note starts tomorrow with the CBE Classic. It has the exact same format as the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament with the first two rounds essentially just there to be tune ups for the four main schools, although Kentucky proved that isn't always the case. Here's the first round schedule:

November 11th

North Florida at Maryland

Tulsa vs. Hampton

November 12th

Central Michigan at Missouri

Fordham vs. Central Missouri

Youngstown State at UCLA

Weber State vs. Cal State San Bernardino

November 13th

Chicago State at Michigan State

Louisiana-Monroe vs. Northern Michigan

If it goes to form the semi-finals would be Missouri/Michigan State and Maryland/UCLA.

The next preseason tournament of note starts tomorrow with the CBE Classic. It has the exact same format as the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament with the first two rounds essentially just there to be tune ups for the four main schools, although Kentucky proved that isn't always the case. Here's the first round schedule:

November 11th

North Florida at Maryland

Tulsa vs. Hampton

November 12th

Central Michigan at Missouri

Fordham vs. Central Missouri

Youngstown State at UCLA

Weber State vs. Cal State San Bernardino

November 13th

Chicago State at Michigan State

Louisiana-Monroe vs. Northern Michigan

If it goes to form the semi-finals would be Missouri/Michigan State and Maryland/UCLA.

Good stuff, Bored. Thanks for taking up the slack in the College Hoops Thread so far this month. The Pre-Season NIT Tournament starts today, so I'm going to do a Preview of that as well.

And my comments on the USC upset, I have to admit that I was kinda laughing at that one, escpecially since a chunk of the AP voters were basing their Top 25 votes of this team with the inclusion of OJ Mayo.

It's like I said on another board...Kentucky's loss to Gardner-Webb was not going to be an abbreviation, but par for the course for this season. With the way the college game is made up right now, with players from the power conference schools leaving for the pros whenever they damn well please after 1 year, it gives everyone else the chance to field teams that have played together for 3 - 4 years, giving them much more of a fighting chance to beat the Power Confernece Schools.

As long as players can leave college with no 3 - 4 year commitment (like the older days), expect to see this happen a lot more often

Alright it's time for one of the big 3 Pre-Season tournaments to commence, and that is the Pre-Season NIT

nit03.gif

Tournament: Dick's Sporting Goods Presents the 2007 NIT Pre-Season Tournament.

Locations: Campus Sites (Regional Semi-Finals, Regional Consolations and Championships), Madison Square Garden (Semi-Finals, 3rd Place and Championship Games)

Format: 16 Teams with 4 Regional Sites (3rd Place Game for each Region is included, as well) and Overall Final Four with Overall 3rd Place Game.

Participating Teams

East Region

SyracuseOrangemen5.GIFSienaStBernards3.GIF

StJosephsHawks7.GIFFDUMetroKnightsP88.GIF

Midwest Region

OhioStateBuckeyes4.GIFWisconsinGreenBayPhoenix.GIF

Columbia.GIFDelawareStateHornets9.GIF

West Region

WashingtonHuskies5.GIFNJInstOfTechHighlanders.GIF

UtahUtes3.GIFHighPointPanthers.GIF

South Region

TexasAMZH.GIFOralRoberts.GIF

TexasElPasoMiners5.GIFTexasAMCCIslanders4.GIF

Past Champions

1985: Duke

1986: UNLV

1987: Florida

1988: Syracuse

1989: Kansas

1990: Arizona

1991: Oklahoma State

1992: Indiana

1993: Kansas

1994: Ohio

1995: Arizona

1996: Indiana

1997: Kansas

1998: North Carolina

1999: Arizona

2000: Duke

2001: Syracuse

2002: North Carolina

2003: Georgia Tech

2004: Wake Forest

2005: Duke

2006: Butler

Tournament Schedule

Syracuse/East Region

November 12

Syracuse Vs. Siena 7:00 PM ESPN U

St. Joseph's Vs. Fairleigh Dickinson

November 13

Region Championship 7:00 PM ESPN

Region Consolation 9:30 PM

Ohio State/Midwest Region

November 12

Columbia Vs. Delaware State 6:00 PM

Ohio State Vs. Wisconsin-Green Bay 9:00 PM ESPN 2

November 13

Region Consolation 6:00 PM

Region Championship 9:00 PM ESPN

Washington/West Region

November 13

Utah Vs. High Point 8:00 PM

Washington Vs. NJIT 11:00 PM

November 14

Region Consolation 7:30 PM

Region Championship 10:30 PM ESPN 2

Texas A&M/South Region

November 13

UTEP Vs. Texas A&M Corpus Christi 6:00 PM

Texas A&M Vs. Oral Roberts 9:00 PM ESPN U

November 14

Region Consolation 6:00 PM

Region Champuonship 9:00 PM ESPN U

Final Four/Madison Square Garden

November 21

Semi-Final 1 7:00 PM ESPN 2

Semi-Final 2 9:00 PM ESPN 2

November 23

Consolation Game 4:30 PM ESPN

Championship Game 7:00 PM ESPN 2

TV schedule for the week of 11/12 - 11/18

I'll prune out the ESPN games and the one national FSN game below.

MONDAY

New Mexico State at Duke, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

NIT: UW-Green Bay at Ohio State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

CBE: Youngstown State at UCLA, 11:00/9:00 PM, ESPN2

TUESDAY

NIT: Saint Joseph's at Syracuse, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

NIT: Columbia at Ohio State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

CBE: CS San Bernardino at UCLA, 11:00/9:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

North Carolina vs. Davidson, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

NIT: Utah at Washington, 10:30/7:30 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

Coaches vs. Cancer: Gardner-Webb vs. Connecticut, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Coaches vs. Cancer: Memphis vs. Oklahoma, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

FRIDAY

Coaches vs. Cancer: Consolation Game, 6:30/3:30 PM, ESPN2

Coaches vs. Cancer: Championship Game, 8:30/3:30 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Virginia at Arizona, 10:30/7:30 PM, FSN

SUNDAY

Puerto Rico Tip Off: Consolation Game, 5:00/2:00 PM, ESPN2

Puerto Rico Tip Off: Championship Game, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Okay as far as Butler goes, it wasn't out of the total blue that they might do something. Recall in 2003 that they did make the Sweet 16 and once they beat IU last year I started paying attention to them.

Gardner-Webb is literally like scheduling a complete jobber and they actually come in and beat some ass. Completely out of nowhere.

The next preseason tournament of note starts tomorrow with the CBE Classic. It has the exact same format as the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament with the first two rounds essentially just there to be tune ups for the four main schools, although Kentucky proved that isn't always the case.

And Maryland almost proved it here. Hampton came a minute and a half away from upsetting the Terrapins in the 2nd round.