TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Genesis.

Well, the Winamp stream started working again for the last five minutes of the match. It was great to see Booker T and Sharmell again, but holy damn that was a horrible ending. Not only because of the overall idea of it all, but it was botched terribly with Nash taking all day to give Angle time to knock him out.

I thought overall the PPV was a good show. It's basically one of their secondary shows and you could really tell that here. I marked out big time for the debut of REDRUM (or Crimson Blood as he will be called in TNA). I like that James Mitchell is putting together another group. Seems like Abyss is going to go through them until he meets back up with Judas.

The Women's match was pretty good. I really liked the ending of it. I love the build up to Gail Kim vs. Amazing Kong. It gives the title meaning.

The tag team match of MCMG vs. Team 3D was a good solid match. I liked the ending of 3D putting over MCMG big time here.

The X-Division match was a fun fast paced match. I didn't like the end with 3D coming out and "stealing" the title, but I'm intereested to see where it goes.

AJ/Tomko vs. The Steiners was okay. It did the job to put over the champs.

Samoa Joe vs. Robert Roode was a lot better then it really should have been. The only think I didn't like was Traci going down with no reason. It will obviously be Rain that knocked her out, but it took away from what was a good solid match. The correct person went over at the end.

Kaz vs. Christian was a great match. I totally loved the ending with Christian going over the ropes and Kaz catching himself. Kaz really busted his ass and Christian made him look like a million bucks. I am looking forward to Kaz vs. Angle, even though we know that Kaz is going to lose. I like the idea of a couple of newer faces in the main event scene with Kaz and Roode. It freshens things up a bit.

Everyone and their mother knew that Booker was going to debut. That being said, it was put over well. Booker looked good in the little bit of time that he was in the ring. I figured once Kaz won that Angle was going to win and that it was going to be at the expense of angle knocking out Nash. They have been teasing an Angle/Nash feud for a while and we are about to get the payoff.

On a side note, I thought there was a little too much stuff going on backstage. I liked the idea of having a couple of segments, but there were too many. I dug the Spinner Beer belt. That was pretty funny. The stuff with EY and James Storm was too much. I could have done without it, but at least it wasn't a pie eating contest in the middle of the ring.

Overall on a scale of 1-10 I would give this show a 7. I think next months show has the makings for some interesting match-ups.

Oh lord, they actually had friggin Kazarian win a #1 contender match? Shouldn't they actually try establishing someone as more than a complete jobber before pushing them like this? It reminds me of Steve Corino vs. CW Anderson for the #1 contendership in ECW.

This show was a mixed bag for sure, but overall, unfortunately, rather forgettable. That's not to say there wasnt good matches, as their was. The main event in all its' boring nature really hurt the show, as did the overall finish of the night as a whole. Booker's debut came off really underwhelming to me. I wish TNA would start doing their ppvs out of Orlando everytime, as that means alot to the overall feel of the shows. The backstage segments were excessive w/ Angle and Co. and is basically continous retreading of segments from the past two Impacts, with Angle paranoid about who is the mystery man. The Storm/Young segments were bearable, at least.

Opener was pretty strange and just downright lame. * 1/2 at best

MCM-Duds - not bad at all, I really couldnt complain about much here, albeit it seemed short. But the MCM went over clean which was REALLY good to see the booking not fuck this one up. ***

Women's match was solid but average, everyone worked hard here though ** 1/2

I liked Lethal/Dutt quite a bit, fun fast paced match that delivered. ***

Tag title match was just dull, the booking of this match didnt really help anyone as far as showcasing their talents, but at least it didnt outright expose anyone. * 3/4

Joe/Roode - again, another match that was just kind of there for the most part. Nothing really spectacular here at all. **

Kaz/Christian, really good match for sure, MOTN by far. Really not alot to complain about this, both guys worked really hard, Christian particularly took a hell of alot of punishment with the ladder bumps, and Kaz gets put over. Should mean something since Christian's losses are few and far between. But we'll see what the follow up is. All for a Kaz push. *** 3/4, super close to ****

Main event just sucked the life out of this show to me. Nothing really redeeming here to me. The finish, on top of it, was just about as deflating as you can get. Ref malarchy, Angle lays out Nash and then takes out Sting clean, and then Sting even lays down til the end of time until the ref comes in to make the count. That should have been a near-fall, leading to a much more built better finish. Booker really wasn't showcased worth two shits here, and I'm not feeling any sort of Angle/Booker feud that seems on the horizon. So they get Tomko and Styles to help interfere? I dont want to see them with Angle, and inversily, I'm not feeling a Christian face turn whatsoever. WTF is that shit anyway. Sting really was the guy here that got the shaft more anyone, IMO. He looked a bit like a chump in the booking here after being superman against Angle at the last ppv. * 1/2

Oh lord, they actually had friggin Kazarian win a #1 contender match? Shouldn't they actually try establishing someone as more than a complete jobber before pushing them like this? It reminds me of Steve Corino vs. CW Anderson for the #1 contendership in ECW.

Well that kind of was the point of the tournament in the first place, to establish him, and he was being booked pretty solidly for the past few months as well, so I dont see the issue.........not until I see TNA cut the push from under him if they dont follow up suitably by a solid showing against Angle down the road.

There really is no pleasing some people.

Having said that, it seems pointless as:

Immediately following Genesis, TNA management released the following details to TNAwrestling.com regarding Thursday's "iMPACT!" -

- We'll hear from still TNA World Heavyweight Champion Kurt Angle regarding what went down at the Pay-Per-View! Will Angle address AJ Styles and Tomko assisting him in the win? Plus, how will an enraged Kevin Nash react to what happened? Nash is scheduled to appear at "iMPACT!" as well - so what hell will break loose?

- Plus, tune in this Thursday night to see the "iMPACT!" debut of Booker T, who shocked the wrestling world and came to TNA to team with Sting on Sunday night!

- TNAwrestling.com has also learned that Kaz - who beat Christian Cage in the Fight For The Right finals on Sunday - will get his shot at the TNA World Heavyweight Championship this Thursday night against the Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle!

- In addition this Thursday night, we'll get an update on Team 3D taking the X Division Championship hostage at Genesis. Will Team 3D give back the gold? Will the X Division mount an offensive to take it back? Tune in and find out!

- Also this Thursday night, TNAwrestling.com has learned that The Latin American Xchange will be in action, as will women's juggernaut Awesome Kong!

All this and much more this Thursday night on "iMPACT!" on SpikeTV at 9pm! Plus, TNA begins the road to the December 2 "Turning Point" Pay-Per-View with news and updates on the event.

Great, do a brilliant job of putting him over just to hotshot the title shot to him a week later which he is clearly going to loose. Saying that, I can't exactly see Kazarian headlining a PPV... yet.

Eh - it was clear he was going to be having a world title match on Impact anyway, not a ppv, although I thought Christian was going to over Kaz and Sting was going to regain the belt on the ppv, leading to Christian/Sting at Turning Point. Instead we'll probably see Booker/Angle and quite possibly Styles/Tomko v. Outsiders or some nonsense that really doesn't draw any interest to me.

Anyways, it doesnt really matter to me whether he would get that shot now or three weeks from now, might as well strike the proverbial iron while it's hot with him, and as I said, if he looks good/competitive in there against Angle, that will hopefully mean they just keep pushing him beyond that in hopes to continue that momentum.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense really.

I'm just glad that they are pushing new talent forward (Kazarian/Roode/MCMG etc)

Eh - it was clear he was going to be having a world title match on Impact anyway, not a ppv, although I thought Christian was going to over Kaz and Sting was going to regain the belt on the ppv, leading to Christian/Sting at Turning Point. Instead we'll probably see Booker/Angle and quite possibly Styles/Tomko v. Outsiders or some nonsense that really doesn't draw any interest to me.

Anyways, it doesnt really matter to me whether he would get that shot now or three weeks from now, might as well strike the proverbial iron while it's hot with him, and as I said, if he looks good/competitive in there against Angle, that will hopefully mean they just keep pushing him beyond that in hopes to continue that momentum.

The same thing happened with LAX. They won a #1 contender match at BFG and fought for the Tag Titles on Impact! I actually don't mind that. It shows that they are trying to get people to tune into their show. The #1 contender can win a title on their weekly show, but you've gotta tune in to see it. We know Kaz isn't going to win and that a match like that won't draw byrates, so at least have it for free.

Seeing what Angle did for Lethal in the X-Division match, I think, even though Kaz won't win, Angle is going to put him over in a loss.

Also, in regards to Traci from The Wrestling Observer:

*Traci Brooks legitimately passed out at ringside during the latter stages of the Samoa Joe vs. Robert Roode match. She was standing there and just collapsed. Earl Hebner and EMT's came out to check on her. She wasn't seriously hurt and was walking around later in the evening with no ill effects.

I want to watch the show again before I really talk about it, but I thought it was decent, but not great. This was the first non-road show I got since last Genesis and this was certainly better than that. The matches that were supposed to deliver did for me (3D-MCMGs, Lethal/Dutt, Kaz/Cage) except for Joe and Roode, which was just kinda there IMO. The main event was blah after the pop for Booker and the booking of two heels for the next feud doesn't make any sense. Neither does the thought of Nash chasing Angle for the belt. The angle of 3D stealing the X-D title fits the feud, but how many times can they bury Jay Lethal, who's over despite their best efforts. I'm sure we'll get the obligatory tag match on Impact, maybe even at the next PPV. I do think, though, that Dutt and Lethal can have a long feud that revives the X-D. You saw them play nice at first, and then get a lil' tense before making nice again. I could see them doing a deal where they deal with 3D, Lethal gets the girl to go with the gold and then Dutt snaps and breaks something over his head. Then he does the peace deal where he tries to talk his opponents out of violence but vicious beats them if they don't listen. I could get into something like that. We'll see though.

It's a good idea to build up new talent, but they haven't really built Kaz up for the position they've put him in. He went from opening match act with Raven to a midcard feud with Bobby Roode that got dropped abruptly, and is now all of a sudden challenging for the TNA Title on three days notice. It would have been better, and more effective, if they'd let the feud with Roode keep going and concluded before putting Kaz in a storyline to build for a TNA title match. Sure, he'll probably get a rub from the match with Angle, but it won't do anything like it could have done for Kaz if they'd have taken their time and not rushed it.

The Fight for the Right was another good idea in theory, but executed poorly; not only is one of the finalists someone who wasn't even entered in the tournament to begin with, but the big prize of it all, a TNA title shot, is put on TV and not PPV. Shouldn't a shot at the company's biggest title be something worthy of PPV? If the winner of the tournament isn't worthy of having his title match on PPV, then he shouldn't have won the thing in the first place.

Would it not have made sense to put Booker T with Kurt, so he doesn't lose on his first night in the company? You can do that sort of thing with a midcarder like Rikishi, but for a major name like Booker T? How does that make sense? At the very least, with putting Booker with Kurt and Nash with Sting they could have talked the match up as featuring teams who don't get along, which is something you'd think TNA would have gone for as they have that same angle going with just about every team in the company.

Like TNABadbboi, I'll watch it again to get a better feel, but the bad booking of a lot of stuff really stood out.

I'm glad Sharmell showed up with Booker. Her and Karen are reminiscent of the old school managers wrestling used to have...

Only if by 'old school', you mean the likes of Sunny and Sable.

Well, old school might not have been the right word. But it's nice to see some older women in their thirties with some personality, rather than the vacant, twenty year old bimbos that wrestling is full of now. Even when Karen is offering herself on a plate to Nash or Hall she still manages to retain some classyness. Which is more than can be said for other women doing the same act. Heck, Kelly couldn't even get her bra off.