TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 79: Nemesis

It's a month a few weeks away but this card is looking about done so let's get some discussion going on........

Main Event for the UFC Welterweight Title

Matt Serra (Champion) vs Matt Hughes (Challenger)

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva

Melvin Guillard vs Rich Clementi

Roan Carneiro vs Tony Desouza

Dean Lister vs Jordan Radev

Nate Mohr vs Manny Gamburian

Mark Bocek vs Doug Evans

The final fight is up in the air but there's been persistent rumors that we'll be seeing Henderson fighting on this card as well. At what weight, nobody knows.

I'm of two school of thought on this card. The first is that the title fight and Chuck/Silva make this a must-see show, simply because those are arguably the two biggest fights UFC has put on this year and they're happening on the same show. The other school says "The rest of this card is filled up with fighters that nobody would pay to see and who've almost all lost their last fights". Ten out of the fourteen guys listed, actually and in the case of guys like Lister and Desouza you've got guys who haven't fought in close to or over a year. Henderson on the main card would give it some much-needed stability but it's a moot point as last years show of Tito/Chuck had a fairly mediocre undercard but still did huge buys because of the main.

If Chuck does lose this fight though, then he needs to be done with Main-Eventing/Co-Main Eventing for a little while, in order for him to sting some wins back together and rebuild his name.

I mean it just feels kind of weird already that his loss to Jardine is basically being ignored so the hype machine can properly promote this fight.

Melvin Guillard vs Rich Clementi is an interesting fight, especially if you guys know the backstory of this fight.

Melvin and Rich got into a altercation at a club, and Melvin suckerpunched Rich(allegedly) and threatend to pistol whip him. Apparently Melvin lost to Rich Clementi in and BJJ and Kickboxing contest, granted Guillard was a teenager at the time, and became training partners. All of the sudden they start beefing.

I remember Rich Clementi posting a myspace convo with him and Melvin, which is hilarous itself.

Here it is, Rich posted this at www.mma.tv

start from the bottom and work your way up. This was sent to me the day me and Din were fighting

Just for the record again your a fucken idoit

----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: "THE YOUNG ASSASSIN" Date: Nov 9 2006 12:04 AM

man where can we meet if u thank ur man enoug!!!!!!!!

----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: No Love Date: Nov 8 2006 11:21 AM

How old are you Melvin? If I wanted to find you I know where to find you the Wellfare line. Dude in life your not even in the same league.

----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: "THE YOUNG ASSASSIN" Date: Nov 8 2006 9:03 AM

all the name calling just got u fucked up boy and friends we never were u thought u could kill my career but u didnt. so if u think that u can handel me then ill give u ur chance so tell me where we can meet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: No Love Date: Nov 7 2006 8:13 PM

You think if I wanted to say something about or too you I wouldnt do it to your face. What the fuck is wrong with you. Have I ever seem like Im one to hold my tounge? Why would I even talk about you? Your a idiot melvin

----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: "THE YOUNG ASSASSIN" Date: Nov 7 2006 8:09 PM

WELL IF U THINK IM THE SAME FIGHTER THEN UR WRONG SO TRY ME. AND THE REASON I SENT THAT WAS BECAUSE UR BOYS IN SLIDELL R THE ONES TELLING ME THE SHIT U SAY BEHIND MY BACK IF I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO U ILL SAY IT IN UR FACE THATS A REAL MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: No Love Date: Nov 7 2006 8:01 PM

What the fuck are you talking about. I can care less about what your doing. If anything Ive said I thought it was the smartest move you made going out to Cali. Your stupid Melvin and always have been. Ive tried to do nothing but help you out and try to open doors for you.

As far as me and you fighting Ive beaten you at everything we have ever done. I know you Melvin and I will always know how to beat you. Just remember that. As far as the rest of your e mail. When you make the money I have and still make in the sport come and talk to me

----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: "THE YOUNG ASSASSIN" Date: Nov 7 2006 7:55 PM

its nice to know that u smile in my face but u talk behind my back.about how melvin ant shit and ,but thats kool because from where im standing looks like thats where u want to be u lil bitch ass fag. but i will say this when i see u we will fight so have it on ur mind if u want we can put a lil money on it so let me know whats go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree about last year's Chuck/Tito having a weak undercard. It had Bisping, Arlovski, and Forrest Griffin.

This card, in terms of name value, has nothing besides the top two.

It also has a bunch of guys coming off long layoffs and in the case of Guillard, suspensions for drugs.

I'm torn on the main event. I like Serra better than Hughes, but I'd love to see GSP dismantle Hughes again.

from observer

UFC's biggest grudge of the year is off

It was announced officially today that UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra suffered a herniated disc in his lower back in a freak training accident on Monday and after being examined, pulled out today of his match with Matt Hughes, scheduled for 12/29 in Las Vegas.

[ Headlines ][ Archives ][ Search ]

that's gotta suck for Serra, as for GSP's title shot being delayed makes me a happy panda, who can we put Hughes againist

I wouldn't be shocked to see Hughes take a match just to one up Serra a little. Same thing happened though for the UFC 69 main event. GSP got hurt and it pushed the match back didn't it? Serra opted not to take on another fight during that time though

GSP's title shot being delayed makes you happy? Why the fuck would you want the best Welterweight in the world to have even longer before he can get his belt back?

He must be some bitter american.

So there's word going around right now that if Hughes chooses to take the fight that either Jon Fitch or Thiago Alves will be the replacement. There's no doubt in my mind that Hughes is praying for Alves.

And as much as I want him to get the shot this is way too long of a layoff for GSP. A fight with Fitch, Alves or Karo would work just fine.

There's no doubt in my mind that Hughes is praying for Alves.

Let's be real, Hughes doesn't give a shit who he fights. He would easily take the Fitch fight and wouldn't 2nd guess it. When has Matt Hughes ever been the type to back down from a tougher challenge? Never.

A lot of people may not like the guy, neither do i, but the was thing he isn't, is a chicken shit.

This will be back to back UFC shows without a title defense. I know it wasn't planned this way, but that sucks. If something happens to Chuck or Wandy then this show is in the shitter

This will be back to back UFC shows without a title defense. I know it wasn't planned this way, but that sucks. If something happens to Chuck or Wandy then this show is in the shitter

I think the bigger issue is that the Welterweight title has only been defended once this year.

I don't think you can fault any of the fighters for that. Blame Dana for letting the belt sit 10 months with no fights cause he was trying to build up for this monster match.

It sucks cause the LW and WW divisions are great right now and neither belt is active

Let's be real, Hughes doesn't give a shit who he fights. He would easily take the Fitch fight and wouldn't 2nd guess it. When has Matt Hughes ever been the type to back down from a tougher challenge? Never.

A lot of people may not like the guy, neither do i, but the was thing he isn't, is a chicken shit.

He's also not stupid enough to think that he'd have the same chances against Fitch as he would Alves.

He's also not stupid enough to think that he'd have the same chances against Fitch as he would Alves.

Yes, he most likely knows Fitch is a tougher fight then Alves is. But when has Matt Hughes ever backed down from a tough challenge? Matt Hughes isn't scared of no one, and is the type to take the tougher fight then the easier one. Say what you want about the guys atittude, and the person he is, but the last thing he is, is scared of a tougher challenge.

It was a smart ass comment by you. We are talking about Matt Hughes, the same man who fought BJ Penn and GSP in a 2 fucking month span. You think he likes to take the fucking easy road? Fuck off.

...anyway

While I think Fitch is the tougher fight I really think Hughes beats either of them without any real problems. The division is really solid right now, but Hughes and GSP are just a step above everyone else

Don't worry people, Carlito is just stressed that he knocked somebody up. At the end of the day it's all love.

Fitch would give Hughes problems, methinks. In fact if Fitch had better stand-up I'd say we'd almost see a repeat of GSP/Hughes II with Matt trying to outmuscle somebody stronger and failing while getting taken down himself and lit up on the feet. No Hughes takes out Fitch without working for it.

...anyway

While I think Fitch is the tougher fight I really think Hughes beats either of them without any real problems. The division is really solid right now, but Hughes and GSP are just a step above everyone else

As much as the internet loves to dickride Fitch, he isn't on Hughes, or GSP's level. As good of a wrestler Fitch is, his takedown defense is pretty shitty for a team captain of his college team. He got taken down pretty easily by both Sanchez, and Carneiro in his last two fights. Matt Hughes has better takedowns then both those fighters. Plus everyone who's seen the Joslin/Fitch fight knows how much bullshit that was.

It really fucking sucks that Koscheck and Fitch are teammates, because that would be the most logical fight IMO.

New championship match added to the UFC 79

Matt Hughes will face Georges St. Pierre in a five-round main event for the interim welterweight title. When Matt Serra recovers from his herniated disc, a match will be put together to unify the championship.

Now we're back on track.