TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/13 - 11/17

I think we're gonna see a couple 2 loss teams play for the national title. It's the only way for this season to go.

Which two-loss teams are going to finish ahead of 11-1 Ohio State in the BCS standings?

An 11-2 team

I think we're gonna see a couple 2 loss teams play for the national title. It's the only way for this season to go.

Which two-loss teams are going to finish ahead of 11-1 Ohio State in the BCS standings?

Oh, yeah. That's right. Fuckin' Buckeyes. Always a thorn.

No way no how. No potential 11-2 team-not OU, Georgia, LSU, or any of the ACC teams--has enough juice to get ahead of a 1-loss Ohio State. Particularly not OU; losing to two unranked opponents (though Texas Tech just might be ranked now) can't be undone.

Iggy's Top 25:

(Previous week's rank in parenthesis)

1. LSU 10-1 (1)

2. Kansas 11-0 (4)

3. Missouri 10-1 (5)

4. West Virginia 9-1 (6)

5. Ohio State 11-1 (8)

6. Arizona State 9-1 (7)

7. Georgia 9-2 (10)

8. USC 8-2 (9)

9. Florida 8-3 (11)

10. Virginia Tech 9-2 (12)

11. Oklahoma 9-2 (3)

12. Oregon 8-2 (2)

13. Boston College 9-2 (18)

14. South Florida 8-3 (16)

15. Tennessee 8-3 (17)

16. Illinois 9-3 (20)

17. Texas 9-2 (21)

18. Cincinnati 8-3 (13)

19. Auburn 7-4 (22)

20. Connecticut 9-2 (24)

21. Kentucky 7-4 (14)

22. Virginia 9-2 (25)

23. Boise State 10-1 (26)

24. Hawaii 10-0 (28)

25. Texas Tech 8-4 (NR)

Close: Wisconsin, Clemson, Michigan, BYU, Oregon State, Florida State, Utah

No way no how. No potential 11-2 team-not OU, Georgia, LSU, or any of the ACC teams--has enough juice to get ahead of a 1-loss Ohio State. Particularly not OU; losing to two unranked opponents (though Texas Tech just might be ranked now) can't be undone.

What about a one loss Kansas? Say they loose to Missouri next week and their season stops there, but then Missouri goes on to loose the Big 12 Championship. They would have played as many games as Ohio State.

How do you loose a game? Anyways, the debate was if a pair of two lost teams could advance to the national title game. Unfortunately, Lloyd Carr's team failed to keep OSU away and no matter what, we'll see a 1 loss team in the title game.

What about a one loss Kansas? Say they loose to Missouri next week and their season stops there, but then Missouri goes on to loose the Big 12 Championship. They would have played as many games as Ohio State.

Kansas won't have a single good win on their schedule if they lose to Missouri, they don't have the name value of Ohio State, they won't be a conference champion, they would have lost later in the season, and their computer ranking would be lower. There's no way Kansas finishes ahead of Ohio State if they are not undefeated.

It should also be noted that it's entirely possible Oklahoma doesn't even make the Big XII championship game. Texas is right back in it should Oklahoma State pull another upset next week. If Sam Bradford can't play, it would not be too shocking.

Not since the infamous "kick ball" game against Nebraska in 1997 have I found myself rooting so hard for Missouri

Matt Davison FTW!

you just want to spoil everyone's fun. shame on you.

I can't imagine Texas making the Big 12 title game. They have been so far off the radar this year that it's a "WTF?" situation. I haven't heard this all that much but does anyone else think it's time to just get rid of these conf. title games? When has one ever been good for anything? It seems like every year some highly ranked team ends up wrecking their season playing in this pointless crap, or even worse a team that gets totally exposed ends up playing for a national title anyway.

Of course there's way too much money in these conf. title games to get rid of them, but they seem to cause more problems than they solve.

Well, they do help solve the "who wins the conference?" question in all the 12-team leagues. Ultimately I think winning your conference is a more important/more definable achievement than winning the magical BCS crystal football, so I like them in that sense. You did answer your own question, though, as it's all about the money; the game itself is profitable, and the existence of the game lets you justify a big 12-team league spanning lots of TV markets and revenue streams.

I'd much prefer that all leagues be 9 or 10 teams and do the Pac-10 round robin thing, but I don't think there are many incentives for the larger leagues to get smaller.

Fairly significant announcement today as the BCS will expand the eligible at large pool from the Top 14 to the Top 18 if the scenario plays out where there are not enough teams to fill the 10 BCS spots due to the no more than two teams from one conference rule. This is great news for Hawaii and Boise State and also Illinois.

Money. A few conferences getting 2 teams is one thing, but if one conference gets 3 teams while another gets just 1, the cash disparity is significant. It would be especially bad for the ACC and Big East, which have the stigma of being down lately, while the SEC has the stigma of being the best and likely to place 2-3 teams every year based on the polls. Keep that up for too long and you're going to start having conferences think about backing out of the BCS, at which point it ceases to be functional.

I think they should scrap the no more than two teams from one conference rule. I don't see any reason for it now that they've expanded the at-large pool.

The reason they do that is so the Capital One/Outback/Gator/Cotton Bowls don't get stuck with a 4th or worse place team. They usually want to assure those bowls that they'll get quality teams.

Also, the points Edwin made are valid as well.

Since this thread's all about the FCS talk, I just wanted to say that they narrowly avoided a potential split championship when North Dakota State (who's ineligible for the playoffs) lost their finale against South Dakota State 29-24 to finish 10-1. McNeese State, Montana, and Northern Iowa are all undefeated going into the playoffs so there should be some good matchups. Well, actually maybe not including Montana. I've watched bits and pieces of their games this year when they're on TV and they're really not good at all. I'd expect them to get upset in the 2nd round or something.

Here's the official FCS Playoff Schedule... Other games are TBD date/time wise but should be expected b/w Friday and Saturday.

11/22 - Delaware State @ Delaware (1:30 PM ET)

11/24 - Fordham @ UMass (12 PM ET)

11/24 - New Hampshire @ Northern Iowa (7:35 PM ET)

Eastern Illinois @ Southern Illinois

Eastern Washington @ McNeese State

James Madison @ Appalachian State

Wofford @ Montana

Eastern Kentucky @ Richmond

Notes: Appalachian State is trying to become the first FCS team to three peat as National Champions. They've won in 2005 and 2006 over Northern Iowa and UMass.

West Virginia hops Missouri but that isn't too big of a deal as if Missouri were to beat Kansas they will probably jump to #2.

BCS Rankings

1. LSU

2. Kansas

3. West Virginia

4. Missouri

5. Ohio State

6. Arizona State

7. Georgia

8. Virginia Tech

9. Oregon

10. Oklahoma

11. USC

12. Florida

13. Texas

14. Boston College

15. Hawaii

16. Virginia

17. Illinois

18. Tennessee

19. Boise State

20. Connecticut

21. Wisconsin

22. Clemson

23. South Florida

24. Cincinnati

25. BYU

Guest Smues
Here's the official FCS Playoff Schedule... Other games are TBD date/time wise but should be expected b/w Friday and Saturday.

11/22 - Delaware State @ Delaware (1:30 PM ET)

11/24 - Fordham @ UMass (12 PM ET)

11/24 - New Hampshire @ Northern Iowa (7:35 PM ET)

Eastern Illinois @ Southern Illinois

Eastern Washington @ McNeese State

James Madison @ Appalachian State

Wofford @ Montana

Eastern Kentucky @ Richmond

Notes: Appalachian State is trying to become the first FCS team to three peat as National Champions. They've won in 2005 and 2006 over Northern Iowa and UMass.

Alright EWU's 3rd post season appearance in 4 years. I'll actually be in town that weekend so too bad it's on the road but oh well. Go Eagles.

I doubt WVU loses at home to either UConn or Pitt. I do agree that the nation needs an actually entertaining title game and something like WVU vs. Missouri would rock. White and Slaton vs. Chase Daniel and Co.? Pyrotechnics galore. Unless WVU screws up on a massive level (I'm talking 6 turnovers like vs. USF) they should stomp both of these teams.

There's a part of me that is bittersweet about WVU possibly going to the national title game with 1 loss.

Get this, there was some BCS expert guy on First Take this morning saying Arizona St. should pass WVU if they beat USC. I mean WTF? How is beating USC this year so much better of a win than WVU beating UConn the same week?

Because USC is ranked higher? Connecticut is ranked 20th and USC 11th. I think beating a 11th ranked team would provide a bigger boost than beating a 20th ranked team. Though I wouldn't agree with ASU jumping WVU if both win. ASU should move up a spot or two at best.