TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kinetic

The Hangover Thread

Whats Everclear?

Problay the highest bottle of alcohol % they sell here in North America.

It's 95% alcohol... I had a few nights drinking that shit, and they werent great.

TaigaStar makes me feel ashamed to have purchased some serious skunk.

random hate of the day. thank you <3

The worst you can do if you drink a lot of alcohol, is make the biggest asshole of yourself, start fights and pass out on the streets.

and die. which doesn't happen if you smoke too much weed.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm going to brew moonshine again this summer, I've decided.

This time I'm going to use a real old-timey grain mash, too. Either corn or sorghum.

Last time I made hillbilly sugar liquor.

My friend once chugged about half a bottle of that stuff. He's kind of a crazy dude.

It's not that crazy. It's just like chugging a whole bottle of something 100 proof.

while managing at Arby's I found that whenever I'm dragging a bit after a night of heavy drinking the cure always seemed to be a handful of curly fries and a few pieces of popcorn chicken.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I could barely stand the smell of that place. I worked at one for a little while when I was at school. Running a slicer on research chemicals and mushrooms. Huge toothless customers ordering sandwiches with no bun. Eating gel meat with ketchup and fork.

I'm still pretty tore up right now. And I've been at work for 4 hours. Not ideal.

Profuse body odor coming off this guy in front of me. Not helping the situation at all.

Holy fuck, I have no idea what that poster child of abortion just said to me.

The only word I could determine was jaws. Fucking terrifying.

Holy shit...

The other day I drank an entire bottle of Night Train in one swig, as a stunt. It didn't even get me that hammered, but the hangover was the stuff of legend.

I woke up at like 2 in the morning, with my head pounding like it was being squeezed between steel cables wrapped in silk. I couldn't move, I couldn't think, I used to use masturbation for my chronic migraines and I couldn't even do that. All I could do was lie there in agony.

Four hours later, it had subsided enough for me to go to work. Where by lunch I borrowed some Midol from a coworker and it became - somewhat - manageable. It didn't completely go away for over a day.

If it had kept up like it felt the first couple hours, I would probably have called the hospital, even though I knew I had just inhaled a bottle of cheap hooch and was suffering the consequences. It was that bad.

Worse... there I was in the middle of the night, lying on the floor in misery next to an empty bottle of Night Train, in tiny aqua skin-tight lycra shorts, and a t-shirt reading "I Hate My Life"... and nobody there to take a picture. That could have been my album cover.

I am never, ever drinking bum wine again.

Drinking armaretto in mass quantities tonight so i can sleep stress free. Buzzing while reading the WON and listening to Coast to Coast is the highlight of my daily life. True.

I need to invest in some liquor that doesn't taste like a fucking snickers bar though, give me some fy-yah in my belly

Here's a head-scratcher for you: On days when I'm suffering from really nasty hangovers, I feel an intense need to experience a sexual eruption. Why is that?

Here's a head-scratcher for you: On days when I'm suffering from really nasty hangovers, I feel a really intense need to experience a sexual eruption. Why is that?

Holy fuck, so i'm not the only one. I can't figure it out either. When i'm hungover the next day, by mid-afternoon I find myself frantically jerking off, and it feels amazing.

I'm not sure if a hangover caused this or not, but a couple of months ago I had a really bad hangover and just kind of chilled for most of the day. I felt better by the late afternoon, but that night, I got up to take a piss (for those of you who remember [slayer], I have a problem where I constantly have to get up and pee).

I was standing over the toilet, and then the next thing I remember, I woke up in a cold sweat. I felt really uncomfortable, and realized I was lying on the bathroom floor. It took all of my strength to pull myself up, but I finally made it back to bed.

My wife said she heard a loud thud and, half-awake, yelled to see if I was okay. I didn't respond and she fell back asleep. Nice of her, huh?

Anyway, this was a whole night after I got drunk. Would a bad hangover have caused me to pass out 24 hours after drinking?

From an article entitled The Partying Penis and the Horny Hangover:

Horny hangovers are mysterious because they defy all intuitive logic. They occur during what should be the absolute nadir of our sexual interest. We emerge into consciousness dimly, our poisoned bodies already in full rebellion. Our temples throb with every beat of the heart. Our empty stomachs clench and threaten to regurgitate the ghosts of last night's booze. We're as sick as we can possibly be and yet there is this stirring in our loins. If we have sex it's not, generally speaking, very good sex. Our erections aren't as robust as they usually are. The increase in heart rate often makes the headache worse. There is the constant threat that we will actually vomit before we orgasm, but the desire to continue is so strong that it triumphs over all other discomforts. What the hell is going on?

There has been a deplorable lack of scientific study into the horny hangover enigma, so we are left to speculate as to how widespread the phenomenon is and why it exits in the first place. After conducting a brief and very unscientific survey of friends and Internet postings, I've concluded that it seems to be mostly, though not exclusively, a guy thing. Most men I talked to had some experience with the hangover hornies whereas most women had not. The phenomenon is as real as it is mysterious, but the its existence provides a hint of the complexity of the molecular underpinnings of desire.

Desire has long thought to be positively correlated to levels of serum testosterone. That is, the higher the level of testosterone in the blood, the more sexual desire is apparent. The link has been amply demonstrated in studies of both men and women and is implied by the reduced sexual interest of men who have had their testicles removed.

The paradox of the hangover hornies is that alcohol suppresses serum testosterone. Furthermore, the correlation is inversely proportional with the amount consumed. The higher your level of blood alcohol, the lower your level of serum testosterone. This is thought to derive from the fact that the testicles metabolize and break down alcohol in a manner similar to the liver. The enzymes involved in this metabolism are crucial to the production of testosterone and as these enzymes are diverted, less testosterone is produced. Over the long term, alcohol abuse can result in testicular atrophy and the attendant effects of hypogonadism (i.e. breast enlargement). In the short run, the effects are mostly manifest in impaired sexual function. Hence the Dead Kennedys song, Too Drunk to Fuck.

So, how is it that we want sex so badly after a night of heavy drinking? Well, to understand this we need to dip into the workings of the male endocrine system. Testosterone production is part of a negative feedback system (a self-correcting mechanism), centered in the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. In short, the hypothalamus produces a hormone that stimulates the pituitary gland to produce a second hormone called luteinizing hormone (LH), which travels in the bloodstream to stimulate production of yet a third hormone, testosterone. When testosterone levels are low, receptors in the brain and pituitary gland signal these organs to secrete more testosterone stimulating hormones. By the time you wake up on Sunday morning, this corrective mechanism is in full flight.

Because LH is thought to play a role in sexual arousal in itself, its excess explains at least in part your overriding horniness when you awake. It also explains why in spite of this intense desire, you sometimes can't get a full erection - serum testosterone is not yet up to normal levels. It's a passing phenomenon and by midday you'll have less LH circulating and less overt desire. You'll likely be able to achieve a full erection but chances are you won't want to because you'll feel like crap.

I'm not sure if a hangover caused this or not, but a couple of months ago I had a really bad hangover and just kind of chilled for most of the day. I felt better by the late afternoon, but that night, I got up to take a piss (for those of you who remember [slayer], I have a problem where I constantly have to get up and pee).

I was standing over the toilet, and then the next thing I remember, I woke up in a cold sweat. I felt really uncomfortable, and realized I was lying on the bathroom floor. It took all of my strength to pull myself up, but I finally made it back to bed.

My wife said she heard a loud thud and, half-awake, yelled to see if I was okay. I didn't respond and she fell back asleep. Nice of her, huh?

Anyway, this was a whole night after I got drunk. Would a bad hangover have caused me to pass out 24 hours after drinking?

Dude, I think you had a seizure. I'm not joking, I used to have them.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

What had you eaten that day? You strike me as having a pretty salty metabolism, and being hungover isn't conducive to eating. Either your sugar was low and you just fainted (good) or you had a seizure, like dude there said. (bad)

I had something like that happen when I was eighteen. It was about 24 hours after I had started drinking the night before. I was playing a video game, and bam, I felt sick to my stomach and broke out into a cold sweat.

It was quite strange.

oh fuck I just ae like 7 cold corn dogs plus 2 taco bell burritos'

Whata fucking joke

The taco bell waiter took a 20 and gave me change for a 10, I had to argue nad give my name and number, bvut I was fucked up enough I'm not sure I gave the righ number,.

Oh fuck. I had seven sierra nevada pale ales and blacked out last night? how does that even happen. seven beers in a night isn't out of the ordinary and i've never got like that.

Recently I blacked out and I was talking about killing myself and things, and I was actually in very high spirits when I started drinking. That was good cause I had thought that it was the bitter misanthropy and cynicism making me an asshole when I drink, but even now that I feel really very nice and good all the time, it still turned me into a fiend. Good to know.

That night I also did not set my alarm properly (surprise), yet was woken by my internal alarm at 6 am (granted, I woke up off the floor, but it was at the correct time). I found this to be a sort of pinnacle of binge drinking... from happy to suicidal for no reason/passed out on the floor, up in time for work.

It was then I modified my habits severely, to the Inverted Stanhope (never get all the way drunk, just have a few beers every night). It's been working great so far.

The only hangover I ever had was in Japan. I came into my hotel room at 4AM and fell into the bed that my dad was sleeping in. He didn't think much of it.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I never got hangovers to speak of strictly from drinking. However, I spent a day and a half feeling very not-right after a four day stint on hallucinogenic analogs and ketamine.

For the record I did not have much to eat. Maybe that is why I blacked out. Still, FUCK I feel horrible today. Maybe I should quit drinking.

I've come to the conclusion that I will likely never quit drinking completely. The trick is finding healthier patterns within the drinking. For me... straight up Dan Connor.

And for all the guilt some of us feel over being alcoholics, take a look at our grandfather's generation. Now those were drinkers.

Yeah. I've quit before and felt pretty good and actually was not a complete failure at things, but I went back to the booze like an old friend. It's just good, man, it's good.

I mean, hell, after the DUI, I've never really let the alcohol fuck up anything for me, except occasionally relationships which I can patch up with ease. I was totally out of control with it at one point, but I'm learning not to feel guilty.

I can drink in moderation, I just feel more comfortable drinking in moderation all the time, as opposed to holding off so I say "Well, now's my chance to get drunk, better do it right." and then wake up two days later in agonizing pain.