TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
canadafour

Best Submission Hold

I always liked Bob Backlund's Crossface Chicken-Wing. It looked awesome, especially during Backlund's match with Bret at Survivor Series 94. Backlund's "madman" gimmick made the hold look unbreakable.

I always liked Bob Backlund's Crossface Chicken-Wing. It looked awesome, especially during Backlund's match with Bret at Survivor Series 94. Backlund's "madman" gimmick made the hold look unbreakable.

The Million Dollar Dream and the Tazmission were always my favorites.

I'm still partial to the Scorpion Deathlock/Sharpshooter. Bret Hart always sat real deep and had innovative ways to lock it on. When Sting actually does sit deep on the move it looks like a killer.

I did like Meng's Tongan Deathgrip. I always believed that while Meng wasn't the best wrestler on the roster that if he locked it on someone than that was all for the match.

I'm still partial to the Scorpion Deathlock/Sharpshooter. Bret Hart always sat real deep and had innovative ways to lock it on. When Sting actually does sit deep on the move it looks like a killer.

I did like Meng's Tongan Deathgrip. I always believed that while Meng wasn't the best wrestler on the roster that if he locked it on someone than that was all for the match.

Mankind's Mandible Claw, or The Love Handle when Mick did it as Dude Love, was the same way, untill they turned it into a joke with Mr. Socko. The announcers and whoever was the target took it more as if they were passing out from the stench of the sock rather than the actual move.

I agree with this. The Crossface Chickenwing was FEARED, and then Backlund's "what did these hands just do?" look in his eyes afterwards made it all the much better.

I've always had a softspot for the Texas Cloverleaf, and the old school IRON CLAW!

I agree with this. The Crossface Chickenwing was FEARED, and then Backlund's "what did these hands just do?" look in his eyes afterwards made it all the much better.

I've always had a softspot for the Texas Cloverleaf, and the old school IRON CLAW!

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I have to admit Backlund's crossface chicken-wing was freaking awesome for his character at that point. He did an incredible job with the whole "crazy old man" character in the mid 90's.

I loved Backlund's crossface chickenwing, and as said before, his reaction and looking into his hands made it greater.

I also loved JEricho's liontamer on cruiserweights in WCW when he would have their bottom torso in the air. No the boston crab one in the WWE.

The Tazzmission was good too. That's a real world legitimate move that can actually put you out. A rear naked choke with an arm triangle mixed in.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I have to admit Backlund's crossface chicken-wing was freaking awesome for his character at that point. He did an incredible job with the whole "crazy old man" character in the mid 90's.

I remember when I was like 7 or 8 and he put a writer for the WWF Magazine in the chicken wing on the King's Court I believe it was on Raw in like 94 i think..

Shit had me like :( as a young mark...

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

I always liked the Million Dollar Dream as a move but DiBiase didn't win big matches with it, really, because he didn't win very many big matches!

I have to say that the best looking move was the Crossface Chicken Wing that Backlund had, though. That move was so good for many reasons, but one that hasn't been mentioned much yet is that it had two parts - he would lock it on up top and then as he went he would be struggling to get his legs locked into the move too. That made it all the more exciting because it seemed like even though the other guy was in the move, it wasn't totally applied.

I just think for a great submission move, people can't break out of it. Too many people pushing out of Boston Crabs, too many people turning over Figure Fours, too many people even getting out of Sleeper Holds like when Bret Hart beat Roddy Piper for the Intercontinental Championship by kicking up on the turnbuckle. Maybe if Hulk Hogan hadn't pushed out of it with the Iron Sheik and (probably, though I don't remember for sure how he got out of it) Sgt. Slaughter, the Camel Clutch would be cooler.

The more I think about it, it would have been nice for the Ultimate Warrior to have had his arm drop three times on the Camel Clutch to lose the WWF title at, I think, the Royal Rumble in 1991. They knew they were going to put the belt on Slaughter for WrestleMania against Hogan, and Warrior was going to enter into his storyline with Savage somehow or another - I guess they did the best they could in trying to set up the Warrior-Savage feud by having Savage knock Warrior out via scepter for Slaughter to beat him, but still. Slaughter as champion was kind of like... he never really got over in the course of earning the title as being any sort of threat because he only won the title due to Savage bashing Warrior's brain in with the scepter.

Ah, but Sabu did reverse the Tazmission into a pinfall at Wrestlepalooza 1997.

I might have to also go with the crossface chickenwing. That was just a lethal move right there. I've never seen anyone ever escape it once it was fully applied. It's also a fairly hard move to put on people, unlike stuff like a Tazmission or a Boston Crab.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

I might have to also go with the crossface chickenwing. That was just a lethal move right there. I've never seen anyone ever escape it once it was fully applied. It's also a fairly hard move to put on people, unlike stuff like a Tazmission or a Boston Crab.

I should also point out that, like the Million Dollar Dream/Cobra Clutch, I didn't really understand how it worked.

I still don't really understand how the Crossface Chicken Wing works, to tell you the truth. I read a description of the Cobra Clutch that made sense but then when I saw DiBiase apply it, he didn't appear to be doing what I had read about (perhaps just because if he had done it, he would have legitimately put the other wrestler out? I saw Roddy Piper apply a sleeper hold to some kid for $100 in a bookstore for a book signing, and he seemed to apply it much differently and it caused the kid to freak out and start backpedaling - I think you can find it on YouTube, was a totally weird video in any case).

Any help?

P.S. Don't say to go to Stu Hart's dungeon and learn it that way. Thankfully, that old sadist is dead and buried. Sicko. He tortured people.

I should also point out that, like the Million Dollar Dream/Cobra Clutch, I didn't really understand how it worked.

I still don't really understand how the Crossface Chicken Wing works, to tell you the truth. I read a description of the Cobra Clutch that made sense but then when I saw DiBiase apply it, he didn't appear to be doing what I had read about (perhaps just because if he had done it, he would have legitimately put the other wrestler out? I saw Roddy Piper apply a sleeper hold to some kid for $100 in a bookstore for a book signing, and he seemed to apply it much differently and it caused the kid to freak out and start backpedaling - I think you can find it on YouTube, was a totally weird video in any case).

Any help?

P.S. Don't say to go to Stu Hart's dungeon and learn it that way. Thankfully, that old sadist is dead and buried. Sicko. He tortured people.

The crossface chickenwing is a move where you grab the opponents left arm, and bend it behind their back while holding it and applying pressure. This puts great pressure ont he shoulder and can even seperate it. While that's being down you take your right hand and put it over the other person's face or throat. The idea is to subdue the person, put tremendous torque on their shoulder of their trapped arm, and at the same time either cut off their air or just control the head. It's a legitimate move and you'll see cops using it alot to restrain people.

Guest the_last_rites

I loved the variation of the elevated chicken wing that Jazz used to do. I think she called it the Bitch Clamper or something

Was always partial to the Gory Special as well

I have to say ever since I could remember I loved the Liger/RVD/Super Crazy variations of the SurfBoard.

Of course Chicken Wing had an aura during the time Backlund went all crazy on Hart because they sold it as a move that completely destroyed Hart

Jericho's Lion Tamer always looked painfull as hell. Then WWE watered in down :(

Backland's Cross Face Chicken Wing also looked like it would fuck you up during the Bret fued.

Always loved how guys like Bret, Benoit and Taz could clamp on their finishing submission holds out of nowhere, and lock it in good. Always added a fun dynamic to the match as you never knew when the finish was coming.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Any help?

The crossface chickenwing is a move where you grab the opponents left arm, and bend it behind their back while holding it and applying pressure. This puts great pressure ont he shoulder and can even seperate it. While that's being down you take your right hand and put it over the other person's face or throat. The idea is to subdue the person, put tremendous torque on their shoulder of their trapped arm, and at the same time either cut off their air or just control the head. It's a legitimate move and you'll see cops using it alot to restrain people.

Thanks. I couldn't tell if it was mostly on the shoulder or if it was on the neck.

The Crossface Chickenwing is seriously the only submission move I have never seen countered. I always sorta wondered why Owen was supposed to be such a bad guy for wanting his mom to throw in the towel at Survivor Series 1994. Bret was trapped in the move and was just out, he couldn't escape.

I have, as I'm sure most everyone else here has, had that move put on me and I don't see how bret was able to sit down so deep with it and not kill the wrestler he had it on. The move is incredibly painful and it doesn't take much pressure at all for it to be unbearable.

I second the comments about the chicken wing. I also like the texas cloverleaf (which is also extremely painful when applied) I wish someone would use that as their finisher today.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

I have, as I'm sure most everyone else here has, had that move put on me and I don't see how bret was able to sit down so deep with it and not kill the wrestler he had it on. The move is incredibly painful and it doesn't take much pressure at all for it to be unbearable.

I second the comments about the chicken wing. I also like the texas cloverleaf (which is also extremely painful when applied) I wish someone would use that as their finisher today.

Maybe Bret likes to torture people just like his sicko dad, who is thankfully dead and buried so he can't torture anybody else? I don't know - maybe someone should ask Steve Austin. He was in the hold for a long time in the match where he bladed and then passed out in the Sharpshooter, when Austin went face and Bret went heel.

(P.S. I don't like Bret Hart.)

I like the Sharpshooter too but the hold can be countered (Bret himself was in the midst of this in Montreal). And someone can make the ropes. Ditto the Cloverleaf...really good move but a guy can make the ropes.

The only hope anyone would have with the crossface chickenwing is to quickly rush to the ropes before it is fully applied. Once it is locked in, I have never seen it countered.

I always loved Benoits Crippler Crossface, He always made it look like he was in just as much pain as the person its being done to. Shame we wont be seeing that move on WWE anymore.

Maybe it's just me..

But I seem to remember Bret reversing the Chicking Wing and using it on Backland to win the

I Quit Match at WrestleMania XI....The one where Backland appartently said "I Quit" although

Incoherently and Stated afterwards that he'd seen the light....

The only hope anyone would have with the crossface chickenwing is to quickly rush to the ropes before it is fully applied. Once it is locked in, I have never seen it countered.

Or pray that you are sort of close to the ropes and you can get ahold of them, although the attacker could force you to roll to the other side via the pressure on the neck and shoulder and your leg-vice away from the ropes. I've never seen it countered once locked in either, you can maybe do the "push them into the turnbuckle break" if they get the arm laced and the crossface starting, but if you hit the mat and the legs wrap you up, match ovah!

Also about the Jazz version... didn't she do an elevated double chickenwing instead of an elevated crossface chickenwing?

The Cobra Clutch is really freakin' deadly if you are say 3-4 inches taller than the person you are applying it too since it really torques on their shoulder and you go the ragdoll effect that Slaughter used to use with it. I used to use it all the time when my cousins and I put on "wrasslin' shows" in the backyard (nothing Yard Tard like, mainly weak clotheslines with bad slowmo bumping and an assortment of submission counters until someone got their finisher locked in.) after my patented INVISIBLE MIST! Conversely the Cobra Clutch works more as a legitimate choke if you are a couple inches shorter than your opponent and you pull their own arm back onto them with the wrist you hold.

As far as the sharpshooter goes, I remember hearing a comment how guys used to call Bret's sharphooter "Hart's Shooting Sharpshooter" because he would sit in on it so deep.

Maybe it's just me..

But I seem to remember Bret reversing the Chicking Wing and using it on Backland to win the

I Quit Match at WrestleMania XI....The one where Backland appartently said "I Quit" although

Incoherently and Stated afterwards that he'd seen the light....

I seem to remember that.

And Roddy Piper held the microphone to Backland, who just screamed and that was taken as "I quit" :lol:

Did Backlund go against the booking there and refuse to say I Quit? I'm not sure if Bret reversed it or if he just got Backlund in his own move. By March 1995 that whole feud had lost its steam completely. I always thought Diesel made Bret look like a jobber in some ways, since he beat Backlund in 8 seconds while Bret went about 35 mins. with the old guy and jobbed pretty hard.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Did Backlund go against the booking there and refuse to say I Quit? I'm not sure if Bret reversed it or if he just got Backlund in his own move. By March 1995 that whole feud had lost its steam completely. I always thought Diesel made Bret look like a jobber in some ways, since he beat Backlund in 8 seconds while Bret went about 35 mins. with the old guy and jobbed pretty hard.

Diesel was crap anyway.

Kevin Nash is garbage. He's been involved in so many trash matches, it's not even funny. You win the WWF Championship in 8 seconds against a crazy man, and let us not forget the Fingerpoke of Doom. Worthless.