TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jingus

Ridiculous new rules for wrestling in Georgia

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Horseshit commission? Any competent state HAS an athletic commission of some sort, and they serve a useful purpose. It's haggling over the specifics here that's the problem.

This commission doesn't appear to realize that professional wrestling is a worked business.

This commission doesn't appear to realize that its rules and regulations look more like a list of kayfabe rules for a promotion than anything that's going to actually protect wrestlers or wrestling fans.

This commission is horseshit.

I'm not saying get rid of Georgia's athletics commission. I'm saying Georgia's athletics commission is horseshit. That's based on their behavior.

Why not? In the early 90s with the AIDS scare there was a fear that blood-transmitted diseases would soon be ruining the business, but time has proved that to be a false concern. I'd argue that giving yourself a shallow cut in a non-vital area is much less theatening to a person's health than the constant pounding that the spine, skull, and internal organs take from all the bumps. I've never understood why blading was such a controversial thing with the mainstream about wrestling. Except for the extreme Mass Transit type cases, I can't think of any time it's ever seriously hurt anybody. Plus, it's a self-inflicted injury, it's not like big mean wrestlers are kidnapping poor screaming innocent victims and carving up their foreheads with a smile on their face. If getting yourself a Prince Albert is legal in this country, I don't see why blading shouldn't be.

They get together and realize that blood happens in real sports where contact is even a remote possibility, and that people react to blood. Since wrestling relies more on the body than the special effects, unlike movies where using fake blood in a hidden bladder blown up via remote squib is the regular choice, I can see how they go "okay, so, stick the razor blade here, drag it to there, and voila." Anybody that says that blood has no place in wrestling needs only to watch 'Taker/Brock from No Mercy '02, and realize that the match wouldn't have been NEARLY as impactful if it weren't for the bladejobs of all three men involved (Brock, 'Taker, and Heyman).

They get together and realize that blood happens in real sports where contact is even a remote possibility, and that people react to blood. Since wrestling relies more on the body than the special effects, unlike movies where using fake blood in a hidden bladder blown up via remote squib is the regular choice, I can see how they go "okay, so, stick the razor blade here, drag it to there, and voila." Anybody that says that blood has no place in wrestling needs only to watch 'Taker/Brock from No Mercy '02, and realize that the match wouldn't have been NEARLY as impactful if it weren't for the bladejobs of all three men involved (Brock, 'Taker, and Heyman).

I'm fully aware how blood is impactful, and I'm not campaigning for it's elimination. I'm just saying that it seems like something a respectful athletic commission might not allow. It is really kind of silly when you think about it.

True, it is, but so is wearing spandex underpants just to grab somebody in a headlock. It's not as silly as other aspects of wrestling, and considering professional wrestling could more under "performance art" than it can "professional sports," I don't see why an athletic commission should be able to MANDATE anything outside of safety precautions (EMTs, an ambulance, etc.).

True, it is, but so is wearing spandex underpants just to grab somebody in a headlock. It's not as silly as other aspects of wrestling, and considering professional wrestling could more under "performance art" than it can "professional sports," I don't see why an athletic commission should be able to MANDATE anything outside of safety precautions (EMTs, an ambulance, etc.).

Excellent point. I have nothing to add.

I just realized that these rules allow the state commission's representative the right to prevent a wrestler from working if the wrestler doesn't wear "appropriate attire," which includes "clean apparel." I guess that means we'll never see Balls Mahoney in GA again.

Theoretically, though, that could include John Cena, Raven, and anyone else who wears something other than "tights" to the ring.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Why not? In the early 90s with the AIDS scare there was a fear that blood-transmitted diseases would soon be ruining the business, but time has proved that to be a false concern. I'd argue that giving yourself a shallow cut in a non-vital area is much less theatening to a person's health than the constant pounding that the spine, skull, and internal organs take from all the bumps. I've never understood why blading was such a controversial thing with the mainstream about wrestling. Except for the extreme Mass Transit type cases, I can't think of any time it's ever seriously hurt anybody. Plus, it's a self-inflicted injury, it's not like big mean wrestlers are kidnapping poor screaming innocent victims and carving up their foreheads with a smile on their face. If getting yourself a Prince Albert is legal in this country, I don't see why blading shouldn't be.

Wasn't Mass Transit about the fat kid getting bladed by the big black dude? I thought that was the problem, one guy was doing it to another guy, and the guy getting bladed flinched and caused a big ol' problem.

I remember there was some match between Ric Flair and Lex Luger where J.J. Dillon bladed Luger (it was a little scratch, that's why I looked it up on YouTube - I think Barry Windham might have mentioned how small it was and how little Luger bled from it), but beyond that I can't think of many other cases where I could say, "Yeah, a third party bladed one of the wrestlers for him."

I never really felt that blading was necessary, in any case. Are there any major superstars of wrestling who never bladed?

I don't know if I remember Randy Savage ever doing it. If he hadn't, maybe it was for the best - who knows what he might have done to himself, that man has some intensity issues.

I don't know if I remember Randy Savage ever doing it. If he hadn't, maybe it was for the best - who knows what he might have done to himself, that man has some intensity issues.

You make an excellent point. He probably would have insisted on slitting his own throat just to prove his "intensity".

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

You make an excellent point. He probably would have insisted on slitting his own throat just to prove his "intensity".

macho_man_randy_savage-126995.jpg says...

OOOH YEAH! SO YOU WANT THE MA-CHO KING RANDY SAVAGE TO CUT HIS FOREHEAD, YEAH!

(The Sensational Queen Sherri goes "Oooooh" and moves her fingers.)

WELL LET-ME-TELL-YOU-SOMETHIN', THE MA-CHO KING WILL CUT HIS FOREHEAD, YEAH!

HE'LL CUT IT REEEAL GOOD, YEAH!

(The Sensational Queen Sherri goes "Yahhh!" and moves her fingers.)

AND WHEN IT'S ALL OVER THE MA-CHO KING RANDY SAVAGE WILL BE BLEEDING ALL OVER THAT RING.

DIG IT?!

Wasn't Mass Transit about the fat kid getting bladed by the big black dude? I thought that was the problem, one guy was doing it to another guy, and the guy getting bladed flinched and caused a big ol' problem.

Mass Transit came about because it was a match between the Gangstanators (John Kronus and New Jack) and the team of D-Von Dudley and...I think it was meant to be Axl Rotten, actually. But before the show, Axl (or whoever was actually meant to be D-Von's partner) couldn't go for one reason or another, and Heyman was in a scramble to find a new partner for D-Von. Enter Eric Kulias (I do believe that's his last name), an obese 17-year-old who said he'd been training with Killer Kowalski as a way to get into the ring. Before the match (this is courtesy of the Forever Hardcore documentary, via comments mainly from New Jack himself, Blue Meanie, and Kid Kash), Kulias - who wore an MBTA uniform as his ring costume, hence the name "Mass Transit" - was allegedly being disrespectful to the other three participants in the match, coming up with spots for them all to do that would make him seem like a bigshot in his hometown. During the match, Kulias told Jack that he was too scared to blade himself, so he asked Jack to do it for him (big fucking mistake right there), and Jack - who had brought a surgical scalpal (sp.?) to the ring, not an Exacto-Knife like reported for the longest time - obliged...big time. He cut Kulias very deep and very wide, supposedly such so that you could see the white of his skull, and Kulias bled a ridiculous amount. This incident caused ECW to lose a few TV deals, as well as momentarily cancel their PPV deal. Years later, Kulias and his father brought forth a lawsuit against Paul Heyman, New Jack, and ECW for injuries sustained that night, which was thrown out after years of being stuck in courtroom bureacracy due to Kulias constantly contradicting himself during his testimonies. The moral of the story, though, is that when you're a rookie, you need to listen to the veterans (according to Kid Kash, New Jack, and the Blue Meanie). The TRUE moral of the story is to never let New Jack blade you when you're not tight with him like the few who are (ie. Rob Van Dam and...nobody else I can think of, really).