TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Upconverting DVD players

Why don't these things get more press?

Somehow I had not even heard of such a thing until last week and I am absolutely stunned to be watching all of my DVDs in HD for only $80. (Samsung on Amazon...)

This is probably the greatest thing I've ever bought for that small a price.

Why even get HD-DVD or blu-Ray when you can watch your movies in HD without replacing your collection?

Guest huss

I have one that's unlocked for region free playing. I have no need for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD anytime soon really.

So how do they work exactly? Do they stretch the image out to make it fix the HD resolution? And how does it compare to watching a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray

I have a Zenith model that's served me well for about three years now.

Basically they just upgrade the resolution. You won't notice any extra stretching or anything (assuming it's a widescreen DVD) Most go through an HDMI input, though the one I have also uses component to output in 1080i.

That's pretty sweet that you can use component instead of HDMI. Were they included? All the ones we sell only have composite with them, but require HDMI to upconvert, not component (I went so far as to go through each owner's manual), and there's a fair difference in price between the two types.

I've sung this song plenty of times, but to me, it makes infinitely more sense to go this route. Let's say in one year, Blu-Ray or HD DVD is the thing, it's established and they're cheap enough for most to buy. If you spend one hundred bucks for an upconverting DVD to use just until that time, that's not an investment. (And it goes without saying that my one-year suggestion is pretty ridiculous).

I have an upconverting TOSHIBA that I had hooked up via HDMI to my TV, but now I don't even need it because the PS3 plays and upconverts standard DVDs as well as playing Blu-Ray discs.

Anyone looking to buy an upconvert DVD player?

That's pretty sweet that you can use component instead of HDMI. Were they included? All the ones we sell only have composite with them, but require HDMI to upconvert, not component (I went so far as to go through each owner's manual), and there's a fair difference in price between the two types.

I've sung this song plenty of times, but to me, it makes infinitely more sense to go this route. Let's say in one year, Blu-Ray or HD DVD is the thing, it's established and they're cheap enough for most to buy. If you spend one hundred bucks for an upconverting DVD to use just until that time, that's not an investment. (And it goes without saying that my one-year suggestion is pretty ridiculous).

Well, you can't upcovert with component now-a-days because of some FCC ruling or some shit. And the whole BR/HD-DVD won't be solved for a while. However, BR/HD-DVD make the best upconverting players.

It's funny how a lot of people don't know anything about UC players. Whenever someone is buying a DVD player, I always tell them to get an UC player. (If they have a HDTV). And when I explain to them how good it will look, they are pumped. I think I've only had one return on one.

Does playing DVDs through a X-Box 360 connected to an HDTV work as a UC player would?

No, sadly, at least not through component, and I don't believe the new bundles with HDMI do either.

Anyone know if the 360 HD-DVD player upconverts standard DVD's? Additionally, and I may have asked this before, how does it connect, both to the Xbox and the TV?

Does playing DVDs through a X-Box 360 connected to an HDTV work as a UC player would?

No, sadly, at least not through component, and I don't believe the new bundles with HDMI do either.

Anyone know if the 360 HD-DVD player upconverts standard DVD's? Additionally, and I may have asked this before, how does it connect, both to the Xbox and the TV?

I'm pretty sure it just connects to the 360.

I'm under the impression that it plugs into the 360, and then you just use your 360's video and audio out connectors. Must be a switch or something to go from HD-DVD to 360 game mode.

I'm under the impression that it plugs into the 360, and then you just use your 360's video and audio out connectors. Must be a switch or something to go from HD-DVD to 360 game mode.

This is correct, but there's no "switch" per se. When you have an HD-DVD plugged in, you can select, on the menu, which drive you want to load the disc from.

The 360 UC only through HDMI or VGA.

That sucks. I looked at the HD DVD add-on for quite a while today, and considered buying one, if nothing else, for the convenience of not having two different players in my entertainment centre. Mole, just to confirm my fear, you mean the 360 HD DVD player only upconverts through HDMI? What about those of us who didn't buy their 360's in the last, oh, six weeks?

The HDDVD connects pretty interestingly, actually. It looks pretty similar to a modem, and actually connects to the USB above the ethernet port.

I brought this up in the HDTV thread a few days ago, but I don't think I offer enough thanks here. Working in Wal*Mart, where product training is next to nothing, so I'm trying to get as many queries answered pro-actively. Thank you very, very much.