TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

A Scary Moment Today At The CHIKARA Season Finale

from CHIKARAfans.com:

hey guys, I just got home from the show a little bit ago

When Lince came out, a HUGE contingent of fans was there to cheer him on. You could tell that it was definitely his family.

The match was going on VERY well with the help of the technicos and rudos coming out for each side. Lince went for a 450 senton (ie, an SSP with a senton landing) and apparently nailed his head/landed on his neck. I couldn’t see it because I was sitting across the corner from where it happened.

After the move, Mitch Ryder kinda rolled onto his side was shaking. I thought it was his reaction to the bump; in fact, I think I heard someone else from the PSU crew laughing at his reaction. Then Mitch rolled onto his back and Quack ran over the Lince and yelled “PIN HIM!!!” in his ear. It was then that I noticed that it wasn’t Mitch shaking, but actually Lince underneath Mitch while he was on his side. Mitch took Lince’s arm, placed it across his own chest, and Lince got the 3 count. The place exploded.

Lince kept shaking. He wasn’t breathing right at all; you could see him sucking his lower lip under his upper teeth over and over, really fast. Quack got into the ring really fast and was trying to get him to talk, but Lince said nothing. Lince eventually slowed his breathing down and stopped shaking; he wasn’t moving at all. NO ONE made a noise in the entire place. Daizee Haze ran down and tried to help Lince talk as well, but he didn’t respond.

They didn’t have a stretcher, so they got a table and managed to put Lince onto it to get him to the back. Quack took off his mask and covered his face with a towel, which was actually quite scary to see. The hair-shaving was REALLY surreal because it just seemed so extremely out of place. When it was quiet, I heard a woman sob loudly, and I looked over at an older woman covering her mouth. I feel certain it was his mom.

While everyone left the ringside area slowly and confusedly, you could hear a woman yelling from behind the curtain. She yelled, “MY BABY,” a couple times, so I’m pretty sure that it was his mom. That was what really hit me that I should get out of there, and I’m pretty sure Destiny had been thinking that for a few minutes by then.

We left and I wanted to go to my car, but someone told me not to go in because an ambulance was coming. I asked if I could just go to my car, and I did, but we didn’t leave because I didn’t want to block the eventual oncoming ambulance. There were many wrestlers out back; someone was trying to calm a woman down, and she may have actually fainted. I moved my car because it was pretty much where the ambulance would be pulling in. I called my brother to let him know the news, and we heard applause coming about 10 minutes after the ambulance had arrived. That probably means that he was alert, but I have no idea if he was walking or not. I tried to not look at the ambulance for privacy reasons. After the ambulance left, I left too.

It was really really REALLY weird and scary. I feel extra bad because his family was there. I left before they said that Hero/Claudio wouldn’t be happening, because I wouldn’t have felt right sticking around, and there’s no way I would have been able to get into it anyway. It seems that everyone else felt the same way about it, with the chant and all. Hopefully he’ll be all right.

man that is really scary to think about, regardless if any of you guys follow CHIKARA, we should all pray and hope that he will be ok

Oh no! I think Lince Dorado is great and I hope he's ok. That sounds pretty brutal. Hopefully, he just got shaken up a bit and will be ok. He is so young and even if he wasn't, shit like this should not happen to anyone. I can't imagine what his family is feeling right now after seeing such a scare.

I just took this from the ChikaraFans board...

Hey Gang,

As most of you are well aware, Lince Dorado was knocked unconscious and lapsed into seizure while attempting a back splash on Mitch Ryder at tonight's Chapter 11 card. He was taken a local Philadelphia hospital immediately thereafter, and we are pleased to report that after a CAT scan and a few hours to rest and gather himself, Lince was released just over an hour ago. While he has been diagnosed with a serious concussion, and is suffering some understandable stiffness in his back and neck, Lince was in good spirits on his way back to Hotel CHIKARA, and wants to thank everyone for their support and understanding after the injury. He will remain State-side for the next few days and make at least one more trip to be examined before he is cleared to return to Mexico.

We at CHIKARA would also like to extend our most sincere thanks and appreciation to the crowd tonight for their understanding in the matter, as all of you were truly first class in handling it, and made us even more proud to call you our fans. We promise that 2008 will see us make good on what we weren't able to present tonight, and then some.

Thank you again,

CHIKARA

Seriously relieved to hear he's okay. That move's always scared me. From the sounds of it, Quack, Mitch and co. handled the situation impecably too by calling off the main-event. Apparantly, there may be something set up over at CHIKARAFans by way of a fund to help pay Lince's medical fees, there's been talk of it already.

They didn’t have a stretcher, so they got a table and managed to put Lince onto it to get him to the back.

That's one of the bits that troubled me though. It kinda highlights what was being said in the thread in General Wrestling that JINGUS posted, about the Athletic Commission and wanting to have medical personel on hand at all times during a show. The fact they had to move him out on a table and also the fact that it was apparantly left to Mike to tend to Lince is pretty off. Obviously Mike's been around for a long time and presumably knew just what to do in the situation to calm Lince down, but not every wrestling show in the US is going to have that kind of guy there and have it luckily right next to the ring when it happened.

I'm glad to hear that Lince is going to be ok, though considering it's the second time he's hurt himself doing that move, he should probably think about retiring it. And yes, this does make you think that all indy groups should have properly trained paramedics at ringside.

Also, from what I read on the CHIKARAFans forum, he didn't have a seizure, it was convulsions that resulted from the severe concussion he suffered.

And yes, this does make you think that all indy groups should have properly trained paramedics at ringside.

Then I hope you're willing to accept the inevitable consequence of the vast majority of wrestling companies going out of business because they can't afford the expense.

I'm not trying to be a dick here about a guy getting hurt, I've landed on my head in the ring and it ain't fun. But clearly Chikara doesn't have enough money for a medical staff or they would've had them there already. And it's one of the bigger and more successful promotions out there. Would you be willing to enforce the "must have doctors" rule if it meant closing down Chikara and every other indy fed aside from the superindy ROH types?

I'm not expecting CHIKARA to have some super medical staff at ringside, but if they (and other indies) could have a ringside doctor or at least a little equipment for these worst case injury scenarios. Hell, I'd take a ringside worker who took some first aid classes. It is depressing though. I'd like to see promotions be prepared for situations like this, but I understand that they can't afford to have those precautions.

And on a side note, as much as I love CHIKARA I have a hard time considering it "big".

It's a name as far as independents are concerned, especially compared to all those small no name no talent shows that are lucky to draw 50 people. ROH isn't a independent promotion, anyways.

And yes, this does make you think that all indy groups should have properly trained paramedics at ringside.

Then I hope you're willing to accept the inevitable consequence of the vast majority of wrestling companies going out of business because they can't afford the expense.

Dunno about Alaskan, but I can.

I mean c'mon: A TABLE? If they didn't have the proper equipment and training, they should've called 911.

If you're so upset by the current status quo that you'd rather have no wrestling at all, it's a harsh opinion, but I can respect that. The ones I take issue with are the people who seem to think that new regulation will improve wrestling instead of mostly ending it. Either you can have inadequate medical care at the shows, or you can have 80% of wrestling vanish, that's the realistic choice we're looking at here.

Well, seeing as I didn't post in the other thread, I don't think it neccessarily has to be the case that EMTs and ambulances should be on stand-by at every wrestling show going. That's a little unrealistic. But surely the vast majority of promotions can do better than a table as a makeshift stretcher.

Even if it's just the case that there's someone with *some* knowledge of first-aid techniques sitting somewhere within easy reach of the ring (I mean, this show was at the Alhambra, there's always a table less than feet away from the ring) during the show, that'd be better than nothing at all. It's possible they had that but Quack was already on hand, I don't know. But still. And I don't think it comes down to just the promotions neccessarily. How many shows run at the Alhambra a month? A one-time expenditure between whomever (regular promoters of the building, the building owners, etc.) for something remotely resembling a stretcher wouldn't be THAT much, surely?

This is just one, larger example obviously. But there's ways to make things a little safer for the wrestlers without going into the deep red for it, surely.