TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest converge241

It's (almost) go time!

Guest converge241

I am, but im not as excited as i once was. hopefully my low expectations will result in a rewarding experience..

others yay or nay?

Guest J*ingus

The lineup for the first show looks pretty bad:

"Gauntlet for the Gold" Battle Royal, Winner Will Be Crowned NWA: TNA Champion

-Announced Participants: Scott Hall, Ken Shamrock, Jeff Jarrett, Gran Apolo, Buff Bagwell, Rick Steiner, Brian Christopher, Konnan, Steve Corino, K Krush, Devon Storm, Vampire Warrior, Prince Justice, Norman Smily, and 6 others.

10 Women Lingerie Battle Royal , Winner Will Be Crowned "Miss TNA"

Christian York & Joey Matthews vs. The Dupps

AJ Styles, Jerry Lynn, & Low Ki vs. Jorge Estrada, Sonny Siaki, & Jimmy Yang

NWA Legends Ceremony Featuring: Harley Race, Ricky Steambost, Jackie Fargo, and Dory Funk, Jr.

NASCAR stars Sterling Marlin and Hermie Sadler along with Country Music star Toby Keith will all be at the show.

Yikes.  Not one singles match?  Two battles royals?  Only one match that probably won't suck?  No thanks, I'll wait til I can go to the live shows on the cheap next month.

Guest swan
Yikes.  Not one singles match?  Two battles royals?  Only one match that probably won't suck?  No thanks, I'll wait til I can go to the live shows on the cheap next month.

Gauntlet for the Gold ends up as a singles match. And what about the X-Belt. How are they going to rewrd that. I won't order the show. Have to work late.

Guest Human Fly

Still can't decide. Maybe I'll wait until I've read the results and order the replay if it's any good.

Guest Slapnuts00

It's only 10 bucks, it's wrestling and it's something besides the  WWE. Why not? I'll give them a try. Ive pretty much decided to order the first 2 weeks, just in case 1 week sucks, the other can redeem itself, but if both shows suck, then I won't order it again. I agree with the statement about once being excited but not anymore. I don't know, I sat through all 3 WWA shows, and found some enjoyement, although lingerie battle royals, midgets, wrestling penises and Buff Bagwell are not encouraging signs...

Guest RetroRob215

I'm so pissed that Cablevision isn't picking it up.  The NWA said they are still in negotiations.

Guest RetroRob215

What do you guys think of the show thus far?  Set, matches, production, etc.

Guest dreamer420

My dad is taping it for me right now with his "Directv" system.  I'll be watching it later.

Guest Vyce

I ordered the PPV.  Didn't think it was that bad.  If there's a post specifically on the show, I'll go more in depth with my views, but basically I thought the show was fine....but not without flaws.

The major one being the fact that Russo HAS to be secretly booking some of this shit.  Elvis impersonators?  Wrestling penises?  Backwoods hillbillies whose valet is their cousin / girlfriend?  This is dumb shit that WON'T attract viewers.  Likewise, I don't think anyone cares if Jarrett disrespects Jackie Fargo.

But the wrestling seemed decent enough (for the most part).  Next week is a tournament for the X-title.  If they insert some of the better talent (Styles, Lynn, Psicosis, Yang, etc.), I'll order next week's show as well.

Guest Blue Bacchus

I also detected a little hint of Russo in the broadcast. Hey, what's the worst thing that could happen? He comes out onscreen and puts himself over the NWA Champ? What a tic...

Guest RetroRob215

I'm glad Jarrett didn't win the title.  I don't care if he wins it down the road, but I didn't want to see him playing politics on their first show.

Thoughts.Comments.

The-Six-man-tag-match-was-decent.A-little-sloppy-at

times,but-decent.

Will-someone-tell-Yang,Siaki,and-Estrada-to-drop-the-Elvis

gimmick!

The-whole-Women's-segment-pretty-much-sucked.Francine

and-Elektra-have-to-work-on-their-mic-skills.

York/Matthews-Vs-The-Dupps-was-decent,but-also-sloppy

like-the-opener.

Why-the-fuck-is-K-Krush-trying-to-feud-with-a-Fucking

NASCAR-driver?

Krush-and-Brian-Christopher-have-horrible-mic-skills.

Anyone-care-to-tell-me-why-Jarrett-and-that-Country-Music

Singer-are-starting-a-feud?

The-Battle-Royal-had-it's-problems,but-decent.

Del-Rio:Fake-Scott-Steiner.He-had-the-outfit,moves,and-hair-like-Steiner.Still-sucked.

Bagwell,Hall,R.Steiner:Sloppy

Malice-Kind-of-impressive.

Shamrock-I-knew-he-would-win.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

the Xtitle round robin is:

AJ Styles

Low Ki

Psicosis

and Jerry Lynn.

The best part is you'll know ahead of time if its good or not.

Guest Slapnuts00

Yup. the show was live, although I think next week might be taped. Overall, I enjoyed it. For 10 bucks, it wasn't that bad, and am looking forward to next week's show.

Some Thoughts:

-I like this whole X-division concept, but really they needed to slow things down in that 6 man tag match. They need to actually build a match and not just do bunch of spots, handle it more like WCW did, but it was still a fun change of pace from the WWE.

-Scott Hall is still looking good, and I think this the perfect thing for him. He won't have to be on the road, he can go home to his kids, it's a smaller scale promotion so there's not as much pressure, and he can work with some younger talent like he likes to do.

-Shammy looked good, and it was great to see him again, but he needs to work out some of that ring rust.

-I don't undertstand the whole Jack Fargo/Jeff Jarret feud, but whatever. Steamboat rules, and he got a deservingly good pop, from what seemed like a good crowd.

-Annouce team was alright. Don West is terrible always screaming DID YOU SEE THAT! WHAT A MOVE!!!. Tenay was good at pbp, although I like him better as color. Ferra actually sounded great on color, good voice, added to the show and wasn't too obnoxious, but what the hell is up with his new look? He looks like a freak!

-Call me crazy, but I laughed at the Big Johnsons.

-Way too many girls. Don't get me wrong, I'm not part of the rainbow connection or anything, but I want to see a wrestling show damnit! A few valets are cool, but having a whole 10 girl lingerie segment, where I didn't even know who 7 out of the 10 were, is not what I want to see; not to mention the constant shots of the girls dancing in the cages.

-Dump the midgets, no one cares.

-I like the fact that they have so much new talent. I didn't know almost half the guys in the Gauntlet, maybe that's a good thing. Guys like Appolo, Malice and Slash seem like they could be made into stars, but they have to be careful with a few of the other guys that seem really bush league.

-What was up with that guy Del Rios, who was dressed as a Scott Steiner impersonator? Seriously, I was expecting Scotty himself to be a secret entrant and beat the shit out of the guy!

-So next week has the X-tournament which should be cool, if they can pace themselves and connect their spots, Hall vs. Jarrett and that lingerie battle royal. I think I'll check it out. 10 bucks isn't a bad price, although it is a little frustrating to pay for each show. Hopefully they'll have a subscription package at a discounted price eventually.

Guest J*ingus

You've all probably seen Slash and Malice before and didn't realize it.  Slash was formerly known as Wolfie D of the tagteam PG-13, and Malice used to be The Wall.  

Del Rios was Memphis veteran Spellbinder (who had a brief stretch in the WWF as "Phantasio"), he's looked like that for years, it's mostly coincedence that he resembles Steiner that much.

Guest Vyce

Well hell, I'll ahead and post my comments.

The-Six-man-tag-match-was-decent.A-little-sloppy-at

times,but-decent.  Will-someone-tell-Yang,Siaki,and-Estrada-to-drop-the-Elvis gimmick!

I liked the six man; overall, I thought it was pretty good.  Probably best match on the card, but I'm biased towards the competitors.  The Elvis gimmick was the 1st Russo-esque thing I hated.  I was almost pissed at the Elvis gimmick, but good work from all involved caused it to become a mere annoyance.

The-whole-Women's-segment-pretty-much-sucked.Francine

and-Elektra-have-to-work-on-their-mic-skills.

Yeah, that was a pretty awful segment.  But I didn't notice as much, because I was drooling over Daffney.

God, I miss her.

York/Matthews-Vs-The-Dupps-was-decent,but-also-sloppy

like-the-opener.

A little sloppy, but I kind of expected that going in (York / Matthews didn't impress me the little they were in ECW).  I liked the match; wasn't great, but decent enough.  Kind of short, and the ending was odd (i.e. annoying).  The Dupps have another Russo-like gimmick, but for some strange reason I find the idea of their valet being their cousin / girlfriend amusing.  I hate myself for that.

Speaking of the other tag match......WHY did they have to go with the Johnsons gimmick?  I thought they weren't THAT stupid.  I was wrong.  That was the thing that really had the Russo warning lights going off.  At least the match wasn't a total squash like I thought it was.  It made me want to know more about this James Storm guy; he didn't look too bad in the ring.

Why-the-fuck-is-K-Krush-trying-to-feud-with-a-Fucking

NASCAR-driver?  Krush-and-Brian-Christopher-have-horrible-mic-skills.

I didn't mind Krush that bad, and I was actually thanking him for saving me from hearing those two rednecks from talking.  I don't care HOW popular Nascar is, it's the most white-trash piece of shit "sport" (I have to use quotation marks, because I would consider pro wrestling more of an athletic sport than Nascar) in existence.  So I was okay with Krush coming out there.  Too bad he has to be stuck in a match with Christopher.

Anyone-care-to-tell-me-why-Jarrett-and-that-Country-Music Singer-are-starting-a-feud?

Maybe it's just me, but I thought they used Toby Keith well.  I paid to see wrestling, not a country song being played.  At least they got him involved in the show, created an angle for him to take place in, and there was a resolution in that he helped eliminate Jarrett.  It's always pretty dopey to get celebrities involved in your wrestling, but I thought that they actually did pretty well with their use of Keith.  It ain't exactly Lawrence Taylor in terms of smart celebrity booking, but it certainly was miles better than David fucking Arquette.

The-Battle-Royal-had-it's-problems,but-decent.  

Agreed.  A lot of dead wood in there, and I felt some of the bigger "names" went out too quick (Steiner & Konnan, for example, and hell, even Bagwell wouldn't have been too bad to stick around for a little while)

Del-Rio:Fake-Scott-Steiner.He-had-the-outfit,moves,and-hair-like-Steiner.Still-sucked.

Oh god was he awful.  I mean, shit, Toby Keith looked better in the ring.

Bagwell,Hall,R.Steiner:Sloppy

Bagwell went out quick, which would have been good, except that he goes out in the first 90 seconds and that Del Rio jabronie lasted like 10 minutes.  Steiner went out too quick IMO.  Hall looked VERY sloppy.  I was very afraid he'd make it to the end against Shamrock.

Malice-Kind-of-impressive.

This is how you push the new guy.  I went from not caring about him, to getting a Kane vibe, to being somewhat impressed with him.  I think they may have some potential with him down the line (if they make it that long) as a big heel star.

BTW, who is he?  I swear, I half-believe that he's the wrestler formerly known as The Wall in WCW.  If it is Wall, kudos to him.  He's gotten better in the ring, and has improved his overall physique.

Good showing by Gran Apollo too.  I can see him getting a potential push as the big mid-card face.

Shamrock-I-knew-he-would-win.

He was the obvious choice, although I thought it'd be him vs. Jarrett at the end.  I know everyone was bitching about Jarrett going over for the strap, but way I see it, Jarrett & Shamrock are the only top "name" guys you COULD put the belt on at this time.  Bagwell, Steiner, Christopher & Konnan have the name recognition but no believability.  That leaves you Hall, who's far too sloppy and unreliable.  Shamrock was the safe, smart choice.

Here's hoping he doesn't half-ass it in the ring like they think he will.

Guest Vyce

Damn, took so long to post I didn't see the responses from some of you guys.

I agree - West HAS to go.  He added NOTHING.

Slash was formerly known as Wolfie D of the tagteam PG-13, and Malice used to be The Wall.  

Wolfie has really changed his look.

So Malice IS Wall!  I have to say, he did impress me.  He's improved in the ring since his WCW days, and I like his look now.  He looks like he's slimmed down, gotten a better muscular balance, and the goth-gimmick could work pretty well for him.

Guest J*ingus

James Storm works for USA Wrestling in Nashville, and is their current heavyweight champion.  Yes, he is very good, more in a "talented with potential" way than "skilled and polished" type good.  He and Chris Harris recently tore the house down in an awesome match in USA, with crowd heat that was actually louder than what Lawler and Dusty got later that night.

Malice-is-The-Wall?

I-can't-believe-it.I-have-to-check-the-replay.

Next-week's-card-so-far-is.....

The-X-Title-Tournament

Scott-Hall-Vs-Jeff-Jarrett

Looks-good-on-paper.

Guest El Satanico

The Good:

They are starting with some decent main eventers. It gives them a main event scene that has enough credible guys that won't totally stink up the ring. Also it makes it easier to insert some new "unknown" guys into the main event without rushing it. They have 5 guys that can be legit main eventers right now so that's a good thing. Ken Shamrock, Jeff Jarrett, Scott Hall(they must take it slow with him) and Steve Corino could all be main eventers now. Devon Storm with some build up can also be a main eventer because he can talk and is a under rated wrestler. Buff Bagwell, Rick Steiner and Konnan are name wrestlers that can main event, but they shouldn't be given anything big and should be replaced by unknown guys who can be made into stars with the help of the legit main eventers.

The "X" division has the potential to be great i just hope they can keep guys for more then one show unlike WWA. This division could be the key for the survival of TNA. GOOD cruiserweight matches are still something WWeee struggles with so this is the corner of the market that TNA needs to address.

The show of respect for the NWA old timers was a nice move. It was great to see Ricky Steamboat. That Jackie Fargo guy wasn't bad on the mic maybe they can get him to be the commish and feud with Jarret more. Well i wouldn't mind Steamboat in that position either.

No pointless "WWeee bashing" that does nothing but could run off some fans who are also WWeee fans.

Daffney

The Bad:

Buffy Bagwell stinking up the ring. It's really too bad that he's not in WWeee he fits with their no contact weak offense style.

10 women having a Lingerie battle royal for no reason.

midgets

Guys dressed as penises...don't ask i don't know why

The Flying Elvises. It's a minor complaint because they are decent wrestlers and the gimmicks didn't get in the way. But if they give Elvis promos i won't be able to let it slide.

Not a bad start and the only real complaints are the retarded comedy bits and sports entertainment shit. I hope they can iron the bugs out and stay around awhile. They have potential but is hard to make a judgement on it until everyone assumes their proper roles on the roster

Guest RobJohnstone

I really liked the show, btw the dupps were in ecw and were not russo's idea. The main event was a surprise, and thats always good. I though jarrett/shamrock for sure, but I am acually glad they didn;t cause the wall looked real good. Anyone else think of the ding dongs when the johnsons came out? The 6 man was great, I am a big low ki mark. Overall great show, I think next show has possibilities of being good also. Me and my friends enjoyed this more than raw.

--Rob

Guest RetroRob215

"Hopefully they'll have a subscription package at a discounted price eventually."

I remember saying that if you agree to buy ever show in a month, it will cost you $34.95 . I'm not sure if that was ever a definite deal or anything, but they made mention of it.

As for the Dupps, they were supposed to wrestle in the WWF back in 2000, but I think one of them got injured. I saw them wrestle a WWF dark match in March of 2000. From what I remember they were pretty good.

Guest converge241

my good:

the action in all the tag matches, particualrly the six man.

everybody looked like they were trying.

getting to see lenny Lane and Steve Corrino again. and people like Apollo for the 1st time.

the gauntlet was great.

the bad:

the announcing (although there is potential)

the music - ugh ugh ugh

the audio in various places

nascar - country music (the crowd liked it though)

Jarrett's new gimmick (hey Jeff, hardcore Holly called..he wans his catchphrase back)

the ugly:

almost all of those retired strippers/hosebeasts they tried to pass off as hot women, with the exception of Francine, daffney, and alicia webb.

as an aside i didnt even know tammy sytch was one of them due to not being able to hear the announcer.

i give it a 8 out of 10.

shouldnt gertner be with the dicks and mortimer with the express? that seems like it would fit a little better.

Guest Some Guy

I watched at my friend's appartment on his black box.

I have one question. Who the fuck are those NASCAR guys and that goofy shit kicker who's an "Angry American" or something? And why the fuck were they on the show? Don't the NWA people realize that north of the Mason Dixon Line no one gives a shit about Country Music and car racing? They should learn. This isn't the USWA, it's supposed to be a national promotion. They should get guests who more than 20% of the country has heard of or gives a shit about.

Other than that I thought it was a perfectly passible show. Not bad for the first one.

Guest The Superstar

I might order the next show, considering I won't be ordering KOTR (even though Eddy/Flair sounds tempting...) I'm drawn to the X-title concept, but I mean, Krush/Christopher? I'll take a line from nWo Scorpion: If I wanted to see that match I would've watched Jakked more often. :blink:

Guest RetroRob215
I have one question. Who the fuck are those NASCAR guys and that goofy shit kicker who's an "Angry American" or something?

I don't actually know who he is, but the shit kicker is Toby Keith. As for your point on country music, the Jarrett's probably figured no one north of the mason dixon line would be ordering the show anyway. It's more of a southern thing I guess, like motorcross. I don't know of any New Yorkers who like motorcross, but I know of Southern's that do, yet that Speed network airs motorcross up here every day. Ok, that was a stupid example, but whatever.

Guest JHawk

Country music and NASCAR are more popular in northeast Ohio than you might think. That being said, I still don't want to see them crossover into my professional wrestling, although I will admit Toby Keith's delayed vertical suplex looked sweet as hell.

Guest Vyce
Jarrett's new gimmick (hey Jeff, hardcore Holly called..he wans his catchphrase back)

Actually, I think there's a good explanation for that catchphrase.

The catchphrase in question, I believe, is "How do you like me now?" Bob Holly uses it.

BUT!

"How do you like me now" is also the name of one of Toby Keith's (who....never thought I'd type this.....who is feuding with Jarrett) recent big hit songs. So it was actually an appropriate dig for Jarrett to use that particular phrase.

I'm so very, very ashamed I know all of this.

Guest converge241

I knew that was the name of the song from them playing the video on the ppv..

its no excuse as Jarrett had all this time to get a new catchphrase/character and this is what he cam up with? hes still playing "the chosen one" character and we lose slapnuts for "how you like me now?"