TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/20 - 11/24

Also living where I do I'd have told you all year MU is better than KU..KU has played no one their schedule to this point has a combined record of 36-70.

I've been doing that for awhile now

Who's your college team, anyway

I'm a SC fan, have been since I was about 12.

Also Secret is probably going to throw shit at me for getting almost all the games right in Bored's picks.

Clemson beats South Carolina on a last second field goal sending the Gamecocks to their fifth straight loss and likely ending their season.

Guest Smues

Thanks to incredibly shitty defense coverage UW is about to lose the Apple Cup, but on the upside EWU is up by 29 points on #3 seed with 6:57 left in the game. Well that's what espn.com says, but it hasn't updated in a while. So hopefully the Eagles finish them off and move on with the nice upset, and Montana lost so they'll make it further than Montana for once.

So if every higher ranked team in every relevant game wins next week, which won't happen but just humor me for a second, here are your likely BCS pairings.

BCS: West Virginia vs. Missouri

Rose: Ohio State vs. USC

Sugar: LSU vs. Hawaii

Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Georgia

Fiesta: Kansas vs. Arizona State

Chase Daniel for Heisman?

With another showing like this next week, he's gotta get a serious look.

All I can say now is this: Missouri, don't fuck this up. And yet the Big 12 title game is where national title contenders seem to go to die.

I know some goof out there will pick Pitt to upset WVU, but that would have to be one of the biggest upsets in history given what WVU has at stake. And this is Dave Wannstedt we're talking about here.

Geez, someone else (Mecca) with the notion that USC could slip into the title scene. Nevermind the fact that USC would be the weakest of the 2 loss teams given their mediocre schedule and loss to a team ranked #108. Arizona St. is really the only truly good win USC has this year. Who else have they beaten? Oregon St.?

I don't want to come off as a homer or anything, but I'm really at a loss for words as to why people are still doubting Tebow as the clear Heisman winner at this point. The big knock on him seems to be that Florida has three losses. However, in two of those three losses he was still the best player on the field for Florida (with the exception of the Georgia loss, where he was injured.) The guy has put up FIFTY ONE touchdowns to go along with nearly 2,900 yards passing, and 800 yards rushing in the toughest conference in the country. No Heisman winner EVER has put up these kind of numbers.

I think in the end McFadden will win the voters over with his performance yesterday and the fact that he is a Junior while Tebow is a Sophomore.

In 1992 Gino Torretta beat out Marshall Faulk and Garrison Hearst for the Heisman and it was at that time I realized how pointless the award was. Seriously people, stop caring about it.

Here's my new Top 25:

(Previous week's ranking in parenthesis)

1. Missouri 11-1 (3)

2. West Virginia 10-1 (4)

3. Ohio State 11-1 (5)

4. USC 9-2 (8)

5. Oklahoma 10-2 (11)

6. Kansas 11-1 (2)

7. LSU 10-2 (1)

8. Georgia 10-2 (7)

9. Florida 9-3 (9)

10. Virginia Tech 10-2 (10)

11. Arizona State 10-2 (6)

12. Boston College 10-2 (13)

13. Tennessee 9-3 (15)

14. South Florida 9-3 (14)

15. Illinois 9-3 (16)

16. Hawaii 11-0 (24)

17. Cincinnati 9-3 (18)

18. Auburn 8-4 (19)

19. Oregon 8-3 (12)

20. Arkansas 8-4 (12)

21. Texas 9-3 (17)

22. Texas Tech 8-4 (25)

23. BYU 10-2 (29)

24. Wisconsin 9-3 (26)

25. Clemson 9-3 (27)

Close: Oregon State, UCLA, Kentucky, Michigan, Virginia, Connecticut, Boise State

I'm not doubting Tebow, but considering that Daniel has some pretty good stats (close to 4,000 yards passing, well over 30 TDs), played awesome in the biggest game of the year (to date), and is the QB on a top-5 team (and a possible national champion), I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that he could steal the Heisman if he has a great game against Oklahoma. Isn't that usually the formula for winning the Heisman? I wouldn't have an issue with McFadden or Tebow winning, but I don't think the race is THAT clear yet.

I think the more pertinent question here is will Brent Musberger figure out that his name is Chase Daniel and not Chase Daniels before the Big XII Championship?

I think the more pertinent question here is will Brent Musberger figure out that his name is Chase Daniel and not Chase Daniels before the Big XII Championship?

At least he's close. He could be getting McCarver on him and saying Chris Daniel instead.

Musberger alternates. I heard him call Daniel by both names multiple times.

Also, here's the way I see the Heisman race at this point:

1. Tim Tebow (best player in the country by far)

2. Pat White (he's been running the ball almost as well as McFadden and has been throwing great as well)

3. Darren McFadden (he's the best back in the country, but it's not slam-dunk enough to put him ahead of this year's crop of QBs.

4. Chase Daniel (has had a huge year, but hasn't been as good throwing the ball as Tebow, let alone running)

5. Michael Crabtree (still has sick numbers)

Honorable Mention: Dennis Dixon (he missed too many games to win, but OMG did Oregon fall apart without him)

Know why I give McFadden the Heisman over Tebow in a very close vote? He beat LSU in Baton Rouge and Tebow didn't quite get that done. This isn't to say that Tebow won't win it next year, cause he would be a heavy favorite.

Iggy, USC is #4 in your top 25? They are likely the weakest of the 2 loss teams not named Boise. And I know I've been borderline bashing USC, but I'm not really a USC hater. If I think they are really good (like 2003-05) then I will certainly give them props. But that horrific Stanford loss has to knock them below any other viable 2 loss team.

USC gets points for well being USC......

Most people are of the belief that they are better than most of the teams.

And I fully admitted that my scenario was homeristic. I don't expect them in the title game, but I expect them to smack the shit out of whoever they get in the Rose, especially Ohio State.

Know why I give McFadden the Heisman over Tebow in a very close vote? He beat LSU in Baton Rouge and Tebow didn't quite get that done. This isn't to say that Tebow won't win it next year, cause he would be a heavy favorite.

Iggy, USC is #4 in your top 25? They are likely the weakest of the 2 loss teams not named Boise.

How do you figure? Beating Arizona State on the road by 20 is as good of a win as any 2-loss team in the country has and is about even to what Oklahoma did beating Missouri at home. They also beat another borderline Top 25 team in Oregon State by 3 TDs and haven't had a bad game in over a month. Also, their 2nd loss is the most excusable of anyone as there's not one team in the country right now that could beat a healthy Oregon team on the road.

Comparing them to say Oklahoma:

loss to Stanford at home is a little worse than a loss to Colorado on the road

loss to Oregon on the road is a little better than a road loss to Texas Tech without their starting QB

win over ASU on the road by 20 is equal to win over Mizzou at home by 10

win over OSU by 21 is a little better than a 7 point neutral-site win over Texas

So, they're so close as to barely be differentiable, but I give a slight edge to USC as they had injuries throughout the balance of the season that they've recovered from whereas Oklahoma's one major injury is already accounted for in the TTU loss. It's close enough though that I'd push Oklahoma ahead of USC if they beat Missouri.

Comparing them to LSU is less close. While they had the blowout over Virginia Tech in September, since then LSU hasn't had one really impressive game. Since October, the only teams they've beaten by double digits are Ole Miss and La. Tech and even the Ole Miss game was still in doubt in the 4th quarter. And they haven't won a road game against a team with a winning record since the opener against MSU. Basically, the SEC schedule was set up prefectly for them and they started playing consistently mediocre football down the stretch while USC improved to championship level as soon as they got healthy. If these ratings were purely on who I think would win on a neutral field, USC would probably be #1 in the country.

I pray to God that West Virginia loses next week. I don't believe Missouri's going to get past Oklahoma.

The wagons will get circled when it comes to SC getting in the Title Game. If Missouri and West Virginia lose, punch their ticket.

I pray to God that West Virginia loses next week. I don't believe Missouri's going to get past Oklahoma.

The wagons will get circled when it comes to SC getting in the Title Game. If Missouri and West Virginia lose, punch their ticket.

Even if this happens there will be people saying Oklahoma, OSU, Georgia and LSU, provided they win deserve it over SC. I don't agree with that but there would be people saying it.

Iggy, USC is #4 in your top 25? They are likely the weakest of the 2 loss teams not named Boise. And I know I've been borderline bashing USC, but I'm not really a USC hater. If I think they are really good (like 2003-05) then I will certainly give them props. But that horrific Stanford loss has to knock them below any other viable 2 loss team.

So one game decides the Heisman? I just looked and Arkansas lost to Tennessee and Mcfadden didn't have a touchdown. If I remember, Tebow and the gators beat Tennessee pretty good right? I think Tebow deserves and should win it but i wouldn't be surprised if Mcfadden won. I think being a Sophomore will hurt Tebow's chances more than anyone thinks and it's a damn shame.

If Tebow doesn't win the Heisman after tonight's game, Every voter that doesn't vote for him needs to be fired. That guy is a beast.

I was watching the Sun Sports/FSN Florida post game and one of the guys said something interesting, The only reason why Tebow might not win the Heisman is the old school thinking of "Sophomores can't win the Heisman." That's bullcrap if true.

It's not that sophomores can't win it, it's that most voters don't vote for the underclassman.

So one game decides the Heisman?

It wouldn't be the first time that a single game won/lost a Heisman for someone.

Tebow's got it in the bag barring a Herculean performance by Daniel in the Big XII title game. He's the first and only player to have 20 TDs passing and rushing and this season he scored two touchdowns in his WORST performance (he got at least 3 TDs in every other game)

McFadden's had a good year but he got held to 61 yards by Florida International, 43 against Auburn...and had as many multi-touchdown games as he did no-touchdown games (4).

Tebow 1, McFadden 2, Daniel 3, Dixon 4, Crabtree 5.