TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Amazon Kindle

I heard about this for the first time on NPR today. Very cool, but it's not something I'd buy even if I had the money. I like the feel of an actual book too much.

I like the fact that it works on Sprint EVDO which I have, but you HAVE to have Sprint EVDO coverage to download anything to the reader, which is insanely stupid even though Sprint's coverage is pretty good...I mean..I freaking live out in the middle of nowhere and get EVDO Rev A (the fastest EVDO at 1.3 mbps)

Impressive.

It costs too much, but I can see why since they probably folded the cost of the EVDO network into it, since the user doesn't have to pay for access to it and doesn't have to rely on hotspots.

e-Ink screens are really impressive, much better than LCD for reading text.

They DID get past one of the hurdles of ebooks by pricing new eBooks at 9.99 (much less than hardcover versions). I thought it was mind boggling that eBooks could cost the same or MORE than physical books. When people see e anything, they expect it to cost a lot less.

I've recently been putting eBooks (text or html only but still) on my iPod Touch, so I'm starting to gain an appreciation for the format. I tend not to carry around a bag when I go out (on the subway and such), so I really don't like the bulk of carrying a book to read, especially a hardcover one.

Knock the price of this down 100 bucks and give, say, free credit for five eBooks or so and I might take the leap.