TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
majormayhem1

House Fire

What are your 3 favorite matches, ppv's, etc. Pick three and run from the flames.

1) Summer Slam '89-This card featured an Intercontinental title match between Rick Rude and the Ultimate Warrior which was, to quote Sean Mooney, "the ultimate in exhilaration." The best in their series of matches. Gene Okerlund was going interview Rude and when they cut to the interview center, the SummerSlam sign fell down! Hilarious. "Mean" Gene jumped out of his suit and blurted out some expletive. All kinds of crazy happenings in this one. "Macho Man" kept talking about the cauldron of madness, "Hot Rod" said he was going to eat a garage, etc. One of my favorite matches was Greg Valentine v. Hercules. The match wasn't that great, but Ronnie Garvin was the guest ring announcer. "The Hammer" had defeated Garvin in a retirement match earlier in the summer and Garvin had been doing everything he could to get under Valentine's skin. Garvin's introduction of Greg Valentine was priceless.

2) WrestleMania 1-I like the way that WrestleMania 1 builds. The first few matches are quick. Then, Beefcake/Sammartino have a well-paced match that left the crowd in a frenzy. That contest is followed by Valentine/JYD for the I-C title, etc. By the time the main event rolled around, it seemed the "roof was going to blow off of Madison Square Garden."

3) Great American Bash-New Revolution '90-I remember this being an exciting time in the NWA. Wrestling was still the name of the game. The opening bout was a tag match between the Midnight Express and the Wild Eyed Southern Boys. Doom defended the World titles against the Rock 'n' Roll Express. Lex Luger defended the U.S. title against "Mean" Mark. The main event was Ric Flair v. Sting.

Shows:

NJPW 1994 Super J Cup

Tabe's Misawa vs. Kobashi comp

My Kawada/Taue vs. Kobashi/Misawa comp

Well, it'd have to be stuff that I couldn't find anywhere else. Out of print tapes, specially made custom tapes, DVDs that are no longer going to be produced and that might have been pulled from shelves, etc. Sooooooo...

1. Hard Knocks: The Chris Benoit Story

Simply for the quality of the matches therein. Since it's especially no longer in production, and I doubt many wrestling fans would probably not want to give it up simply because of the prior fact, I'd grab it and fucking run.

2. ECW Heat Wave '98

Their finest PPV, from top to bottom. Say what you will about Anarchy Rulz '99 or Hardcore Heaven '00, but this show smokes 'em both. I once had a copy that was taped directly from PPV, so all of the between-match promo's and videos and theme music were still 100% intact, but a friend in middle school stole it, the fucker, so I had to grab the Pioneer VHS that's been clipped to shreds outside of the matches, opening ECW theme video, and a couple of entrances (just the one for Dreamer/Sandman/Spike in the main event, actually). I'd still save it, though, because the card was not only flat-out solid, but it's also rare due to the unlikelihood that WWE would ever release it in full as its own event, and it also marked when I started to become more of a smark towards wrestling.

3. RoH comp

It's of the first year or so of RoH, and features a lot of the great matches had between LowKi, Christopher Daniels, Bryan Danielson, Doug Williams, Homicide, Samoa Joe's debut, and more. It was made by somebody here, I forget exactly who, for me about 2 years ago, and served as my introduction to RoH. It also had a bonus match of Kobashi/Hansen, the one where Kobashi attacked Hansen as he was making his entrance and the two just basically brawled at ringside for the majority of the match. Irreplaceable. It's one two tapes, but most DVD sets are more than just one disc, so fuck it.

Yes on Heatwave 98. I still have that as well, albeit the Pioneer release. The three I wrote were the first three that popped in my head, which is likely how I'd think in a burning house. There's absolutely something for everyone on that card, and I've especially seen non-wrestling fans impressed by Tanaka powerbombing Awesome over the ropes to the outside.

Slamboree '98 (I fucking love this show. It's the nostalgia show for me. I saw my first, last, and only WCW show two days after it (A Saturday Night taping) so this brings back a lot of fond memories. It's a damn fun show too with the Cruiserweight Battle Royal and Jericho's introductions, The Bowery Death Match (Sue me, I liked it) and a damn good Benoit-Finlay matchup)

Royal Rumble '94 (Again for nostalgia reasons but I still really enjoy this show. An underrated Rumble, The Harts-Quebecers, and even the World title match is a fun to watch trainwreck)

Heroes of Wrestling (Cause I need a laugh sometimes)

I'd probably grab the my Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania Anthology boxsets, and then I'd burn alive when I decided to go back in and just to carry my collection out.

Wrestlemaina X-7 VHS - This is my personal end-all/be-all Wrestlemania. Could never part with this classic.

Rise and Fall of ECW DVD - Great documentary, told truthfully enough.

ECW One Night Stand 2005 - Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka is one of my favorite matches of the last 5 years or so. Why WWE didn't sign either of these guys after this brawl is beyond me.

Assuming that we're talking about out-of-print master copies, and not one of the many bootlegs that I own, I would save the following:

Hard Knocks: The Chris Benoit Story (DVD)

Somewhere down the line I will be glad that I kept this around.

Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat (VHS)

The only NWA master in my colleciton.

AWA All-Star Wrestling (VHS)

Rare as fuck cassette featuring Rick Martel, Jumbo Tsuruta, Michael Hayes, Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkel.

I do, however, have binders full of non-commercial footage that are more accessible and easier to grab on the way out, but that's neither here nor there.

honestly I would be more interested in grabbing my personal papers (birth certificate, hs dipolma, ss card etc) plus my family home movies and photos, things you CANT replace. at leats with videos there is always some tape traders out there

I'd just grab a fire extinquisher.

Although, fortunately all of my DVDs are right next to a window in my bedroom, so a quick busting out of the window, and I could probably save all of my DVDs. But if I had to save three, and they had to be wrestling DVDs, then I'd pick the Chris Benoit DVD, Wrestlemania 17, and my copy of Extreme Evolution that I got signed by Jerry Lynn.

Man, some of you guys take the topic too seriously. Maybe the the topic should just be renamed as 'Three tapes/DVDs I like the most'.

Well that's different. One of my favorites is the Rise and Fall of ECW. But if it's about saving them from a fire, I'd go for the ones that, for whatever reason, are irreplacable, or would be expensive to replace. The Benoit DVD is out of print, the WM17 DVD is from before they switched over to WWE, so there's no blurring or muting out Fs, and the Extreme Evolution DVD was autographed when Lynn did a GCW show. Those three may not be my favorite ones to watch, especially Extreme Evolution, but I'd save them from a fire if it came down to three wrestling DVDs.

Man, some of you guys take the topic too seriously. Maybe the the topic should just be renamed as 'Three tapes/DVDs I like the most'.

Seriously people. You shouldn't be so literal. So, let's rephrase the question, "If your house were "hypothetically" involved in a fire, and you could only grab 3 of your favorite DVD's/VHS and/or Beta/Reel-to-Reel/etc. that held wrestling content on them, and they weren't in a box, or if they were in a box, the box wasn't by your bed/living/kitchen/bath/game/jacuzzi/garage/laundry/parlour/pool room window and the wrestling tape fairy told you to grab your 3 favorites without any of your family members risking death (pets included), which would you choose?" Ah, fuck it. Who cares? Let's just forget the question and talk about why Chris Daniels is so great.

Seriously people. You shouldn't be so literal. So, let's rephrase the question, "If your house were "hypothetically" involved in a fire, and you could only grab 3 of your favorite DVD's/VHS and/or Beta/Reel-to-Reel/etc. that held wrestling content on them, and they weren't in a box, or if they were in a box, the box wasn't by your bed/living/kitchen/bath/game/jacuzzi/garage/laundry/parlour/pool room window and the wrestling tape fairy told you to grab your 3 favorites without any of your family members risking death (pets included), which would you choose?" Ah, fuck it. Who cares? Let's just forget the question and talk about why Chris Daniels is so great.

Chris Daniels is great because if his house were on fire, he'd grab a fire extinguisher.

Chris Daniels is great because if his house were on fire, he'd grab a fire extinguisher.

Chris Daniels is also great because if he were to have a fire extinguisher, it would be the BEST. EXTINGUISHER. EVER.