TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Watchmen

Strangely, was messing about on the PlayStation Home thingy and noticed they had the trailer up on there. Seems decent enough, but not keen on the total bad editing and rehashing of the Muse song they've used towards the end.

I've recently begun to notice that all the "badass" Rorschach lines, particularly those plucked from his internal monologue in the comic, come off as entirely ridiculous onscreen. Whoops!

Site's been updated, complete with interactive character bio's and quotes.

I just got the graphic novel this week since I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. Wow, if this isn't screwed up it could end up being the Citizen Kane of comic book movies. I have no idea how they will handle the disturbing ending though, since it will either be very upsetting or seem like a copout.

I'm going to have to go out and find Gibbon's "Who's Watching the Watchmen" soon. And while I have read the novel twice, I may have to pull it out andg give it another read.

Just saw this on Yahoo!:

Rival studios reach deal on 'Watchmen' release

LOS ANGELES – The superhero film "Watchmen" will be watched by audiences after all — and on time.

Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox settled their nearly yearlong dispute over the movie on Thursday, the studios announced in a joint statement.

The movie will open in theaters as planned on March 6, the statement said. The exact terms of the agreement were not disclosed and will remain confidential.

The release date had been in doubt for months as each studio's attorneys grappled for an upper hand. Fox contended that Warner Bros. shot the film knowing that it didn't have all the adequate rights; Warner Bros. countered that Fox had lost its rights in the graphic novel and was owed nothing more than a right of first refusal.

At stake was a movie that has stoked the excitement of "Watchmen" fans and that Warner Bros. claims cost it $150 million to film and market.

Until recently, the studios appeared to be in a stalemate as protracted as the Cold War backdrop of the film's source material. But a Christmas Eve ruling by U.S. District Judge Gary Allen Feess found that Fox did have at least a distribution stake in the film.

Within days of that ruling, Warner Bros. and Fox were in serious settlement negotiations.

Attorneys were scheduled to update Feess on the settlement Friday morning.

While the studios agreed on little throughout the case, the statement released Thursday sought to end months of acrimony.

"Warner Bros. and Fox, like all 'Watchmen' fans, look forward with great anticipation to this film's March 6 release in theaters," the statement said.

Fox is owned by News Corp.; Warner Bros. is a unit of Time Warner Inc.

As part of the agreement, both sides acknowledged the others were acting in "good faith," although Warner Bros. conceded Fox notified it of its rights before filming began.

Fox acquired movie rights to "Watchmen," a graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, in the 1980s.

The project has had a tortured course to the big screen, with Warner Bros. having to resolve issues with other studios that had considered making the film.

The various agreements led Feess to declare during one hearing that the case was "very complex, convoluted."

The same could be said for "Watchmen," which features a complex story line set in an alternate-history United States and characters with names such as Rorschach and Ozymandias.

"Watchmen" has generated considerable buzz, in part because of the threat that the film's release would be delayed or blocked. But the attention is also because its director, Zack Snyder, helped turn another graphic novel, "300," into a blockbuster.

Well, it looks like we'll be seeing it on March 6th after all.

You know the real problem with releasing Watchmen now?

We saw this basic plot in Heroes Series 1. Set in New York. With exactly the same end in mind. The only difference was, in Heroes they stopped it from happening.

I read the Watchmen graphic novel over the weekend too, and if they adapt the movie exactly from the comic, frame for frame, word for word like I heard they did, then this movie will blow people away. I'm really curious about what the changed ending is though. Does anyone know what they did with it?

Hmm. After hearing about what the new ending is, I don't understand how that will work at all.

If Doctor Manhattan is blamed for setting off explosions around the U.S. how will that possibly unite the world? Wouldn't Russia be very happy about that? Since they invaded other countries after Manhattan left Earth, wouldn't they be more proud if they found out he caused destruction on their enemy, America? That's why the squid monster worked, because since it was intended to be something out of this world and beyond human imagination, the world did unite over that.

New TV Spot.

Hmm. After hearing about what the new ending is, I don't understand how that will work at all.

If Doctor Manhattan is blamed for setting off explosions around the U.S. how will that possibly unite the world? Wouldn't Russia be very happy about that? Since they invaded other countries after Manhattan left Earth, wouldn't they be more proud if they found out he caused destruction on their enemy, America? That's why the squid monster worked, because since it was intended to be something out of this world and beyond human imagination, the world did unite over that.

That is the main problem everyone has had. It doesn't work in the least.

Russia would CELEBRATE the Doctor turning on America, not unite with them to stop him. Plus they and everyone else would realize, THEY CAN'T stop him anyway. With the alien ending, they would realize they have a common enemy that neither of them no dick about. With the Manhattan turn, Russia would just be like, "Oh well, reap what you sow assholes!" I don't know if it was studio pressure to make it more "realistic" or what the case was but that ending has a very high chance of dragging the whole movie under. Not to mention the other might have totally went with a plan involving an alien that hurts no one, but a plan that drags Manhattan's name under? I doubt it.

As for the bad ass lines, I don't know, they still seem cool to me. You can see his mouth moving under the mask so it's working for me.

Russia would CELEBRATE the Doctor turning on America, not unite with them to stop him. Plus they and everyone else would realize, THEY CAN'T stop him anyway. With the alien ending, they would realize they have a common enemy that neither of them no dick about. With the Manhattan turn, Russia would just be like, "Oh well, reap what you sow assholes!"

Why's everyone assuming that it's only America which "Dr. Manhattan" attacks here? I haven't seen that stated anywhere. It would make sense if various different targets all over the world got hit, which would indeed have the whole Unite The World Against An Outside Threat aspect working for it.

Not to mention the other might have totally went with a plan involving an alien that hurts no one

Huh? To quote Rorscharch:

"Half of New York dead."

Jingus,

I think that you're quite right that the attacks happen around the world. That said, I still don't think that would make the whole world unite to stop him, because a great deal of the world, whether incorrectly or not, believes that Dr. Manhattan is still on America's side.

I mean, when you create an incredibly powerful super weapon, and it kills millions of people because you didn't know how to use it, does it make sense that the whole world is going to unite with you to stop it? Or are they more likely going to be super-fucking pissed at you? And he's not an "Outside Threat", he's an American citizen, a human being. An especially powerful one, but he IS an American citizen. He's not an Outside Threat. Remember too that this happens during the Cold War. That's another thing that gets me - how in the hell do they make it look like Manhattan blew up multiple cities across the globe, without sending the missiles flying? Like seriously, how in the HELL would Cold-War era USSR and USA not destroy the entire planet once it began apparent cities were being blown up? The alien works because it's obviously not a nuclear attack, it's something else. But when you've got a whole country full of people with their finger on the button, and cities just start vanishing, then nukes are gonna fly.

And besides, blowing up multiple cities around the world is about the stupidest way possible to stop nuclear war. You're gonna prevent nuclear war by essentially HAVING a nuclear war? Yeah, okay.

I know, it doesn't entirely make sense. Then again, none of us have actually seen the movie, so who knows exactly what the details of this scenario are or how they'll play out. It might end up making sense, or it might suck ballz.

Just wondering: why do so many people seem to be insisting that this movie is gonna be equal or superior to Dark Knight in terms of "The Comic Book Movie That Finally Forces Everyone To Take Comics Seriously"? I mean, the choice of director doesn't exactly scream Oscar Quality here. I liked his Dawn of the Dead and 300 as disposable action flicks with cool visuals, sure. But Watchmen is much more based on plot, characterization, and dialogue than anything Zack Snyder has ever done. Plus, it's not like Hollywood's never fucked up an Alan Moore book before. I'm hoping that it will end up being a worthy adaptation, but I'm not betting on it.

I think that's just love of the source material. Part of the reason making a superhero movie is hard is that you're usually going through hundreds upon hundreds of stories to figure out what you want to do. Watchmen has one story. A really really great one. I still don't think it's gonna work, myself...but I can't wait to see it.

I know, it doesn't entirely make sense. Then again, none of us have actually seen the movie, so who knows exactly what the details of this scenario are or how they'll play out. It might end up making sense, or it might suck ballz.

I still wonder why they'd even take that chance, especially since they seem to be following the rest of the story damned close. Why stick right to the source then cop out on the ending? Doesn't make sense to me.