TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Watchmen

Yeah I read that review last night. The movie sounds great and I'm getting more and more excited about it from the various clips that keep popping up. Speaking of Veidt though, the one thing in that review that should give us all pause is that the review mentioned Matthew Goode being mediocre as Adrian Veidt.

IMO, if the rest of the movie is as bad ass as this gu is making it sound, I can deal with one part that is not up to the rest. It doesn't mean he's horrible, just that everything else is so much better than he.

Clips are up

Riot

Rescue

Rorschach and Nite Owl II

Dan and Veidt

Don't like the slow mo, but doesn't look too bad. The Veidt one worries me a little.

Having watched those clips here's an observation. I almost think this movie would be better off if it had bigger name stars in it. For instace George Clooney could rock big time as The Comedian since he has a ton of charisma that Jeffrey Dean Morgan just seems to lack in these clips. Obviously they needed someone else as Veidt but it's a difficult role and no one comes to mind.

Still definitely hyped for this movie, but I do wonder if the notion of "barely known actors playing lesser known superheroes" is a good strategy.

Having watched those clips here's an observation. I almost think this movie would be better off if it had bigger name stars in it. For instace George Clooney could rock big time as The Comedian since he has a ton of charisma that Jeffrey Dean Morgan just seems to lack in these clips. Obviously they needed someone else as Veidt but it's a difficult role and no one comes to mind.

Still definitely hyped for this movie, but I do wonder if the notion of "barely known actors playing lesser known superheroes" is a good strategy.

You're fucking crazy. I can't see Clooney being menacing enough to be the Comedian. I think the consensus was that a young Stacey Keach would have been the ideal choice, but I have to give them credit; choosing unknowns is the way to go for this type of movie. You don't want the stars overshadowing the story, and Clooney as someone who

has a relatively limited role in things

would not help.

New clip up

Again, not liking all the slo-mo. I'm glad they kept Rorschach's trademark "hurm" though.

And here's a compilation of B-Rolls

1 2 3

Veidt hangs out with Bowie? He's cool in my book.

I've only seen a few of the clips, but I do like a lot of the acting choices. Dreiberg is dead-on, to the point that I'd like the guy to play Ted Kord, and I like Rorschach's look and sound. The Comedian is okay, but he's not quite as menacing or cruel as I'd like to see him, and the actor playing Veidt is a little off; I think it's because he wasn't typecast like the others which turns me off to him. Out of the scenes themselves, the only problem I had was that it looks like Veidt was organizing the Crimebusters, and that just doesn't feel right from a story standpoint. I dunno if it makes the ultimate villain too obvious or what, but I like it when Captain Metropolis was organizing things. The silliness that the Comedian talks about is accentuated by his reactions and history.

The ridiculous amount of slow-mo should have been expected considering it seemed like 300 was in slow-mo 30% of the time.

Well, that's Zack Snyder for you. Slooooowwww FAST Slooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww FASTSLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

LMAO @ the Clooney comment. Clooney already tried to be a "Dark" superhero once before and failed miserably. You're nuts.

The ridiculous amount of slow-mo should have been expected considering it seemed like 300 was in slow-mo 30% of the time.

Well, that's Zack Snyder for you. Slooooowwww FAST Slooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww FASTSLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

He didn't do much of it in the Dawn of the Dead remake, and it looks like that'll remain the best thing he's made.

Yeah, I was going to give this a chance since all the fanboy hype at first seemed to be hailing it as the next Dark Knight. But this is like, well I don't want to say Schumacher's Batman, but the absolute cheesiest aspects of Burton's.

What the hell is with the wire-fu style jumping stuff? You know, for a comic that's supposed to be as gritty and realistic as you can get, it really is irritating to see a guy like Rorschach magically leap up ladders and stuff. Less slow-mo and more Batman Begins stuff would be preferable.

I think the guy playing Rorschach is doing a wonderful job, though. Definitely the right guy.