TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Watchmen

But there is one work I would like to hear his opinion on and that would be the Justice League Unlimited episode "For The Man Who Has Everything". Its a fantastic episode (top 10-maybe even top 5 JLU episode no doubt), but I wonder if Alan even knows it exists.

I can't remember where, but he's mentioned it before. He's said it's the best rendition of one of his stories on film. That could be taken as a backhanded compliment, but the episode was really well done, so I think he actually meant it for the best.

Weird, I've actually read that comic, and had no idea that episode existed. I really need to watch more Justice League.

Let's fire up the handy-dandy list of illegal straming sites, and aha...

Wonder Woman: Oh Bruce, you didn't get him a gift certificate?!

Batman: No... cash.

Heh heh.

But there is one work I would like to hear his opinion on and that would be the Justice League Unlimited episode "For The Man Who Has Everything". Its a fantastic episode (top 10-maybe even top 5 JLU episode no doubt), but I wonder if Alan even knows it exists.

I can't remember where, but he's mentioned it before. He's said it's the best rendition of one of his stories on film. That could be taken as a backhanded compliment, but the episode was really well done, so I think he actually meant it for the best.

Weird, I've actually read that comic, and had no idea that episode existed. I really need to watch more Justice League.

Let's fire up the handy-dandy list of illegal straming sites, and aha...

Wonder Woman: Oh Bruce, you didn't get him a gift certificate?!

Batman: No... cash.

Heh heh.

I like when the Black Mercy plant attaches itself to Batman and we get the closest thing possible to seeing Batman's origin. We even get a cameo from Joe Chill.

Also another favorite line of mine:

Mongul: Happy birthday, Kryptonian...I give you...oblivion.

Superman: Burn!

*Superman fries him with his heat ray*

In all seriousness, go pick up JLU Volume 1. It is great.

Ok, the good things about the movie:

-Incredibly faithful to the comic. Not panel-for-panel like "Sin City" but more than I thought it would be. They kept the stuff I wanted to see in the movie (

Rorschach's origin with the child killer, Manhattan's flashbacks while on Mars, "I'm not stuck in here with you, you're stuck in here with me"

), and the stuff they took out wasn't particularly missed.

-Rorschach. His arc was almost entirely in tact, and the only significant change was actually pretty cool.

Instead of going to his apartment to get his face back, he finds the shrink in the evidence room. When he gets the box and puts the mask back on he gets right in the shrink's face and says "Hey, doc, WHAT DO YOU SEE?"

Jackie Earle Haley did a great job for the most part, and the mask looked fantastic. The whole time you could see the ink blots changing shape, but it wasn't so that it was distracting. There was one especially cool part where

Ozymandias kneed him in the face and you could see the ink blots fly over to one side

-They took probably the hardest thing to translate, Dr. Manhattan, and made it one of the best parts of the movie. Not once did it look cheesy or fake, and Billy Crudup was good for the most part. And

yes, there IS a glowing blue penis

-There was a GREAT opening credit sequence set to "The Times They Are a-Changin'" by Bob Dylan that summed up the history of the Watchmen universe.

-The Comedian was perfectly cast.

The not so good things about the movie:

-I dunno if it was the sound not being mixed quite right or the actors worrying too much about getting the characters' voices 100% right all the time, but sometimes the dialogue was a little hard to make out. The important lines were clear and all, but entire parts of conversations sounded like they were doing Tea Leoni impressions.

-Some of the lines taken right from the comic don't quite sound good when spoken aloud. It's mostly Dreiberg that suffers from this.

-For consisting of so many good songs, this was a TERRIBLE soundtrack. The opening credits song was great, but then there was "99 Luftballoons" used at a bit of an odd place, but it sort of worked. Then there was "Hallelujah." In some cases the songs weren't bad, but just called a little too much attention to themselves (

"Sound of Silence" used for the Comedian's funeral, for example

). Kudos for them using "All Along the Watchtower" in the exact place it's used in the book, but overall they did a terrible job with the soundtrack.

For now I'd give it a 4/5. I might go a little higher after I've had time to process it a bit more.

I've really enjoyed watching David Gibbons gush over this film. There's something satisfactory about it. I know Alan Moore will never sit down and watch the film - but I wish he would. I've always thought his work translated to film has been 1 (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) -1 (From Hell)-1 (V for Vendetta). But there is one work I would like to hear his opinion on and that would be the Justice League Unlimited episode "For The Man Who Has Everything". Its a fantastic episode (top 10-maybe even top 5 JLU episode no doubt), but I wonder if Alan even knows it exists.

Wow, did he actually watch that episode? I thought the only cartoon Moore watched was The Simpsons.

-For consisting of so many good songs, this was a TERRIBLE soundtrack. The opening credits song was great, but then there was "99 Luftballoons" used at a bit of an odd place, but it sort of worked. Then there was "Hallelujah." In some cases the songs weren't bad, but just called a little too much attention to themselves (

"Sound of Silence" used for the Comedian's funeral, for example

). Kudos for them using "All Along the Watchtower" in the exact place it's used in the book, but overall they did a terrible job with the soundtrack.

For now I'd give it a 4/5. I might go a little higher after I've had time to process it a bit more.

I checked it last night as well. Totally agree about the soundtrack. For a book that was written with so much musical influence almost every song felt out of place. Catch the muzak version of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World". Perfect placement.

My major complaint, was that as long as the movie was it felt rushed. And maybe I have just read the book too many times but

I felt in the movie they played Adrian as a bit dickish from the start. In the book it is a total shock, but in the movie I think you kind of suspect him all along

Also, judging by the walkouts during my screening this movie will not be popular with old people and black people.

My major concern just from watching the trailer was that every time they showed Ozymandias in even a one second reaction shot he always looked like he was playing it way too arch-villainy. Which...even though his character was always kind of a pompous ass...would kill the whole point.

Matthew Goode seems way out of his league in the Veidt role. But once again, how can anyone play that role? There's no good way to play it, much less using an actor that is almost totally unknown. At the end of the day it's still a guy destroying half of NYC and killing millions of people, regardless of how Moore wanted to spin it. When reading the book the last chapter or two came off like the ending of a Bond movie, with Veidt doing the villain's speech. Only here Bond doesn't stop the villain from destroying a major city, but nails the Bond Girl anyway.

Anyway, Veidt is for all intents and purposes an unplayable role. The audience isn't going to buy into his plot to destroy NYC to bring about world peace because the Cold War has been over for nearly 20 years and there hasn't been any sort of nuclear armageddon. That was my big problem with the book reading it 20+ years after it was published. It acts like nuclear war was inevitable and that the Russians weren't completely inept, that they could steamroll Afghanistan, or hold together the Eastern European countries. Even at the time (1986-87) I don't recall going to bed at night as a kid worrying that the Russians were going to start WW3.

Further, the notion of someone doing such an attack on NYC and basically getting away with it with no onscreen punishment is going to REALLY piss some people off. There's really no good reason why Night Owl, Silk Spectre, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan can't overcome Veidt (especially with a wussy looking guy playing the role). I have a feeling a lot of people will come out of seeing the movie asking "So, um, why didn't the big blue guy simply vaporize that asshole?"

My major concern just from watching the trailer was that every time they showed Ozymandias in even a one second reaction shot he always looked like he was playing it way too arch-villainy. Which...even though his character was always kind of a pompous ass...would kill the whole point.

It also seemed that anytime someone talked about the Comedian getting killed around Adrian he might as well have arched one eyebrow and looked around the room really fast and said "oh crap! I had nothing to do with it!"

Other minor complaints were scenes getting extended for no real purpose. The opening scene with the Comedian was pretty lengthy and him getting beat up went on for like 5 minutes. If you have never seen read the book you are wondering who the hell this old guy getting beat up and tossed out the window is.

Characters were portrayed as almost superhuman. Other than Jon and Adrian (because of his intense physical conditioning) these people should be not much different than you and I. When Dan and Laurie get jumped by the knot tops they start snapping bones like twigs and kicking people around like they are in the Matrix. Rorschach jumps around like he is Spider-Man.

cabbageboy... QUICK, CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

I'm convinced you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. While I agree with the actor perhaps not being up to snuff, your reasoning there is beyond stupid.

Further, the notion of someone doing such an attack on NYC and basically getting away with it with no onscreen punishment is going to REALLY piss some people off. There's really no good reason why Night Owl, Silk Spectre, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan can't overcome Veidt (especially with a wussy looking guy playing the role). I have a feeling a lot of people will come out of seeing the movie asking "So, um, why didn't the big blue guy simply vaporize that asshole?"

After

NYC gets blown up 4 people close to me just got up and left. They could have been comic fans and been pissed at the slightly altered ending (which I thought was necessary and very good. A fake space alien showing up and blowing up NYC is not getting it down in a 2009 movie) but the disgusted look on their faces seemed to indicate otherwise.

Because of the new ending, I'm sure people will try to claim

Dr. Manhattan

is a metaphor for

Iraq

The first paragraph of cabbageboy's post is a complete misinterpretation of the Watchmen. I stopped reading after that.

It amuses me how many people I have seen online and in real life who profess to love the source material and dread the movie that completely forget the purpose of the novel. I can understand someone dreading this, but really, at least get the source material right.

Matthew Goode seems way out of his league in the Veidt role. But once again, how can anyone play that role? There's no good way to play it, much less using an actor that is almost totally unknown. At the end of the day it's still a guy destroying half of NYC and killing millions of people, regardless of how Moore wanted to spin it. When reading the book the last chapter or two came off like the ending of a Bond movie, with Veidt doing the villain's speech. Only here Bond doesn't stop the villain from destroying a major city, but nails the Bond Girl anyway.

"Dan, I'm not a Republic Serial villian. Do you seriously think I would explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Anyway, Veidt is for all intents and purposes an unplayable role. The audience isn't going to buy into his plot to destroy NYC to bring about world peace because the Cold War has been over for nearly 20 years and there hasn't been any sort of nuclear armageddon. That was my big problem with the book reading it 20+ years after it was published. It acts like nuclear war was inevitable and that the Russians weren't completely inept, that they could steamroll Afghanistan, or hold together the Eastern European countries. Even at the time (1986-87) I don't recall going to bed at night as a kid worrying that the Russians were going to start WW3.

As a 3rd grader, my class had a discussion over "The Day After" when it aired. The possibility of conflict with the Soviet Union was a major issue in the 1984 presidential campaign the next year. I remember nuclear fear being a very real thing.

In the book they did fight him. Was that not included?

As a 3rd grader, my class had a discussion over "The Day After" when it aired. The possibility of conflict with the Soviet Union was a major issue in the 1984 presidential campaign the next year. I remember nuclear fear being a very real thing.

I remember as a kid constantly having nightmares because of 20/20's constant cold war era coverage in the 80s. It was always World War 3 this and World War 3 that.

Not to mention that Watchmen is in an alternate reality. In the book, many important world events are changed by the existence of superheroes, so why wouldn't the audience

buy into Veidt's plan? In the book, he was telling the truth. His terrorist attack actually was better for the world. The bad guy was right.

I think that was one of the more incredible things about Watchmen.

Not to mention that Watchmen is in an alternate reality. In the book, many important world events are changed by the existence of superheroes, so why wouldn't the audience

buy into Veidt's plan? In the book, he was telling the truth. His terrorist attack actually was better for the world. The bad guy was right.

I think that was one of the more incredible things about Watchmen.

It is. The fact is...they're all right. Every single one of them has a different idea of what to do...and every single one of them is right.

I normally hate Newgrounds, but this is great.

"Jon can give you cancer and he turns into a car!"

Hilarious review:

Debbie Schlussel

From her Quarantine review:

The best part of this movie--other than when credits rolled--was when a religious Muslim Somali couple is located in the building. They can't speak English and can't understand what is going on, a perfect demonstration of why we don't need more non-English speaking aliens in America and how their lack of English skills can endanger lives.

If you don't want basically the entire movie spoiled for you, don't read that review/ What is it about hardcore conservative blondes which make them so aggressively insane? I know they're all just copying Ann Coulter's routine, but jesus that was painful. Worst of all was how she kept bitching and bitching and bitching about how this movie is allegedly marketed towards kids. She really doesn't understand what an R rating means, I suppose. She's also one of those "if you show something bad happening in a movie, that means it's a bad movie" dismissive types, which really do piss me off. Yikes. And somehow this useless person is actually a paid professional writer?