TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/29 - 12/1

Sorry for not doing the tier system this week. My thought process was really "no way West Virginia loses, why even bother".

I did look through the BCS rankings earlier in the week though, and it looks like Georgia is the clear favorite to get in if Missouri loses (about 80%) with an outside shot that they get passed by either LSU or Oklahoma. No one else has a legitimate shot.

Just let them all play at once. Just draw a huge circle in the middle of the field, put every player from every team in and whoever has a player left in the circle after all the pushing wins it all.

My money is on Hawaii. Samoans are scrappy.

LSU jumps Georgia and defeats Ohio State in the NC.

Meanwhile App State advances in the FCS.

If FBS goes to a playoff, hypothetically, how do they distinguish the two subdivisions if they both have playoff systems?

I think if Mizzou loses you have to put LSU in the title game with OSU. They demolished the Hokies 48-7 earlier this year so you can't really justify putting VT in the title game ahead of them. Also, Kansas and Georgia didn't play their conference title games so I just don't want to see a team get into the national title game through that route. Plus, both of LSU's losses occurred in 3 OT's this year.

Hell, I say if Hawaii wins tonight just throw them in the damn title game. It's been that kind of year anyway and if they get in then we can preserve the illusion that a two loss team won't be playing for the national title.

Why LSU and not Oklahoma?

I think that absolute tankjob against Colorado should take them out, hopefully.

That's where I give the edge to LSU. LSU's losses occurred after regulation and not in regulation like both of Oklahoma's. Remember also that Oklahoma had to come from behind to even make the Texas Tech game close. Either way, it's a mess and I REALLY don't want OSU v. Georgia for the title.

At least we'll have a selection show worth watching tomorrow minus spoilers.

Just let them all play at once. Just draw a huge circle in the middle of the field, put every player from every team in and whoever has a player left in the circle after all the pushing wins it all.

I say the mascots fight to the death in the octagon.

I knew comin into the final week, I knew there was gonna be sheer chaos, obviously OSU is in the National title game

I am in agreement that we need some sort of playoff system, but that would probably cause just as much of a mess

actually I think this might be a decent playoff system, the top 4 teams would get auto bids to the main BCS games (if I am missin a BCS game let me know)

number 1 would go to the National game

number 2 would go to Rose Bowl

number 3 would go to the Fiesta Bowl

number 4 would go to the Sugar Bowl

then take the next top 16 guys to run a playoff, when it gets down to the 4 this is where it gets complicated, the two teams that get to the "finals" would get into the National game and Rose Bowl, then the 2 losing teams to the 2 final teams would play to decide who goes to the Fiesta and Sugar bowl, the playoffs would run last week of November to Christmas week, then the BCS games would happen in the first or second week of January

Doesn't the Hawaii mascot carry an axe? I think they would still take it.

I am in agreement that we need some sort of playoff system, but that would probably cause just as much of a mess

I agree it would be a bit of a mess because the debate would shift to who the best "at-large" team was in the playoffs or something of that nature but those debates are unavoidable. Look at the NCAA basketball tournament for example. The only positive is that maybe the debate would be a bit less fierce because it would be a #8 seed people would be arguing over instead of who #2 is.

Despite being a K-State fan I actually wanted to see Mizzou go to the title game since they've got their own history of bad shit (five downs, the kick ball), plus they would've been a fresh face

Barring that, however, I'll settle for pure fucking armageddon in the BCS

Doesn't the Hawaii mascot carry an axe? I think they would still take it.

Ooooh. He would be a force to be reckoned with.

Is ESPN2's feed completely blank for anyone else? I've got audio but no picture.

Edit: Never mind, fixed itself.

ASU is going to win so their Fiesta Bowl hopes are still alive.

My gut feeling is LSU will be #2 tomorrow. I think the Coaches and whoever the hell the Harris poll voters are will see that as the most fair thing to do, if there is such a thing as "fair" when it comes to declaring I-A National Champion.

Weekends like this are exactly why I DON'T want a playoff system. Fuck fairness, talking about who's going to end up playing in the national championship is going to be boatloads of fun.

Well if this doesn't lead towards the creation of a playoff system I don't know what else would. It's pretty funny, though, that a two loss team could end up at national champions while Hawaii could end up undefeated and not even play for the title. Yea, I know their strength of schedule wasn't that great and they struggled against San Jose State but they've played their schedule and haven't lost.

In a year in which supposed top contenders lost to joke teams, Hawaii should get credit for beating all the joke teams on its schedule to date.

I actually like that point.

F it. OSU lost to an unranked at the time team...put Hawaii in there and let them roll the dice.

Even more fun...let's take all the teams that will make the BCS bowls and think on some of the GREAT teams they've lost to.

My gut feeling is LSU will be #2 tomorrow. I think the Coaches and whoever the hell the Harris poll voters are will see that as the most fair thing to do, if there is such a thing as "fair" when it comes to declaring I-A National Champion.

Because of the whole "Well we never lost in regulation" nonsense? A loss is a loss. It's not like the NFL where the first team to score wins it all. Both teams are given a chance to win and LSU blew it twice.

Because of the whole "Well we never lost in regulation" nonsense? A loss is a loss. It's not like the NFL where the first team to score wins it all. Both teams are given a chance to win and LSU blew it twice.

No, that actually won't be the reason why.

1. Voters won't put Georgia in over LSU since LSU won the SEC while Georgia didn't even win the SEC East.

2. Voters won't put V-Tech in over LSU since LSU spanked them like 41-10 earlier this year.

The only teams I see as possibilities besides LSU are Oklahoma and USC, and each has at least one loss to a sub-500 team. (Oklahoma to Colorado and USC to Stanford)

LSU's getting a huge push from ESPN/ABC. Honestly, I think without that, we'd be looking at Ohio State/Georgia, but all the voters that haven't watched football all year should be talked around pretty easily. Yeah, I think LSU probably does get it now, but it's still going to be really close, as the computers will have Georgia ahead of them.

Oklahoma's clearly the best team in the country though. Missouri would be the undisputed #1 if they'd only had to play the Sooners once and OU's beating them for the second time, this time in an utter demolition. They only lost to Texas Tech because their QB was hurt and are playing much much better football than LSU right now.

Oklahoma had the more impressive game. They should go in over LSU, and I hate Oklahoma just as much as I do LSU.

Yea, I'm not a big fan of either team but I enjoy seeing Oklahoma play more than LSU whose "go for it on fourth downs" annoy the crap out of me (although that fake FG earlier this year against SC was fun to watch). That said, LSU is probably going to the national title game because Les Miles is the media's new favorite coach and they've been pushing LSU hard all year long.

I'll laugh my ass off, though, tomorrow if we get some shocker at the BCS selection show and end up with Ohio State vs. Kansas or something.

Mark Richt is pleading his case to ESPN on Sportscenter.

Mark, you lost to South Carolina and Tennessee, badly I might add on the latter one.

LSU beat both teams and won the SEC.

Thank you, next please.