TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

Sean Taylor Dead

It's being reported on ESPN and Mike and Mike in the Morning that Sean Taylor has died from his gunshot wound to the leg.

Guest Vitamin X

Wow, just wow. This is really sad news.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies one day after being shot in the leg

November 27, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has died, a day after he was shot in the leg, said family friend Richard Sharpstein.

He said Taylor's father called him around 5:30 a.m. to tell him the news.

"His father called and said he was with Christ and he cried and thanked me," said Sharpstein, Taylor's former lawyer. "It's a tremendously sad and unnecessary event. He was a wonderful, humble, talented young man, and had a huge life in front of him. Obviously God had other plans."

He said he did not know exactly when Taylor died.

Doctors had been encouraged late Monday night when Taylor squeezed a nurse's hand. But Sharpstein said he was told Taylor never regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital and that he wasn't sure how he had squeezed the nurse's hand.

"Maybe he was trying to say goodbye or something," Sharpstein said.

The 24-year-old Redskins safety was shot early Monday in his home in the upper leg, damaging an artery and causing significant blood loss.

Miami-Dade Police were investigating the attack, which came just eight days after an intruder was reported at Taylor's home. Officers were dispatched about 1:45 a.m. Monday after Taylor's girlfriend called 911. Taylor was airlifted to the hospital.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, Sharpstein said. Taylor's 1-year-old daughter, Jackie, was also in the house at the time, but neither she nor Taylor's girlfriend were injured.

"It could have been a possible burglary; it could have been a possible robbery," Miami-Dade Police Lt. Nancy Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

Taylor was shot at the pale yellow house he bought two years ago in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. Taylor played at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003, and was also a high school standout in the city. His father, Pedro Taylor, is the police chief of Florida City.

He's been one of my favorite players since he was at Miami.

I've been hearing all sorts of stuff about this situation, I'm not sure how much of it is true. I DO know his house was robbed a week ago, but noone was home. I heard that a butcher's knife was left on his bed. I also heard that, during this most recent robbery, the phone lines were cut, and nothing was taken from the house.

These type of things are usually shocking, and nothing more, but this is really depressing.

That just stuns me honestly, I thought he'd pull through. Things like this are just senseless. I'm bad with stuff like this because I don't know what to say, I loved the guy as a player and all he could do. Most importantly he has a young daughter and had turned his life around in many ways from being a perceived thug to a good guy.....

It's just so damn senseless, damn.

Just a really sad situation. It does seem like there's more to this story than meets the eye, but I really don't want to get into all this speculation. It just sucks to see a young guy who was doing well for himself go out like that. I really thought he would make it.

Also, it's probably not pertinent to this thread, but I've just about had enough of people on random message boards and the like joking about his death and acting like he deserved it (whether they're joking or not).

Fuck.

That's all I can muster. Been a Redskins fan since I was 5. Ain't never seen anything like this in regards to my team.(I am aware of the Darrent Williams situation, another fucked up scenario)

This is horrible news.

I know it seems trivial at this point but Sean Taylor was on his way to having his best season yet, he was the leading vote getter for NFC at Free Safety, leading the NFL in INTs, and on his way to possibly winning Defensive Player of the year. Just to give an idea of his impact on the defense. Up until he got injured, the defense had only given up 6 plays of over 30 yards, and just in the two games he has been out the defense has given up 5 TDs over 30 yards.

More importantly, the man was turning his life around. His troubles in the past are no secret, but every report in the last year and a half indicates that he was maturing into a man and this year he was voted onto the team's leadership council which means he was highly respected in his teammate's eyes. Sadly, he leaves behind a very young daughter and a heartbroken family.

I have mixed feelings about wearing his jersey on Sunday, I just don't want it to come off looking corny or contrived.

man this is a damn shame, prayers go out to the team, friends, and family

I hope they find the SOB who did it and string him up like a Pinata

This is horrible news.

I know it seems trivial at this point but Sean Taylor was on his way to having his best season yet, he was the leading vote getter for NFC at Free Safety, leading the NFL in INTs, and on his way to possibly winning Defensive Player of the year. Just to give an idea of his impact on the defense. Up until he got injured, the defense had only given up 6 plays of over 30 yards, and just in the two games he has been out the defense has given up 5 TDs over 30 yards.

More importantly, the man was turning his life around. His troubles in the past are no secret, but every report in the last year and a half indicates that he was maturing into a man and this year he was voted onto the team's leadership council which means he was highly respected in his teammate's eyes. Sadly, he leaves behind a very young son and a heartbroken family.

I have mixed feelings about wearing his jersey on Sunday, I just don't want it to come off looking corny or contrived.

For what its worth, I'd wear it. A tribute is a tribute, corny/contrived or not. You appear to respect the man, why not honor him in the best way you know? If that means wearing his jersey, then so be it.

I hope he is at peace and that his loved ones can find a healthy outlet for their grief. So tragic :(

What about his life was he turning around though. He had only been in trouble once, and that was when he was trying to get some stolen property back.

He should have called the cops about it, and it was pretty stupid for him to try and get the stuff back himself, but still, thats pretty much all of his "troubled past". No I don't count late hits or spitting at another football player as things that make ones past troubled.

And, only in Atlanta, minutes after talking about how this guy in Texas, Joe Horn, is a hero for shooting and killing two burgulars in Texas, the EXACT same radio guy talks about how this will probably have something to do with Taylors "oft-troubled" past....when the only trouble in his past is pulling a gun on thieves.

Well...maybe not only in Atlanta.

I never knew he had trouble either, I'm very confused by all of this. I think I remember he had some anger issues in the past in college but nothing that any other football player doesn't have.

My dad is making the leap his girlfriend set him up. Not sure how he made that leap, but he's making it. Least it takes a different approach.

It would seem insensitive to speculate so shortly after the man's death, but I think it's obvious that there is much more to the story here than a simple robbery. There aren't too many robberies that end with the intruder busting into the master bedroom and unloading shots into the man's groin, especially when a knife on the bed eight days earlier during another break-in.

Yeah, i am in the camp of there was no way this was just a robbery.

I also think its obvious that noone tried to shoot him and kill him. Probably looking for a leg shot.

I mean, I guess we will find out eventually, but either way, just really really sad.

And I know spitting on people isn't accepted anywhere, especially in sports, but what I meant by that was if you hear about a player spitting on someone and then they get shot and killed a few years later I wouldn't say "Well, the mutha fucka did spit on people." I don't think that counts as "troubled past".

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face
It would seem insensitive to speculate so shortly after the man's death, but I think it's obvious that there is much more to the story here than a simple robbery. There aren't too many robberies that end with the intruder busting into the master bedroom and unloading shots into the man's groin, especially when a knife on the bed eight days earlier during another break-in.

Like I said, trouble finds Miami Hurricanes.

To be fair, it isn't a shortage of people getting shot in Miami. I mean, thats like if i played at Iraq U. People that played for the team getting shot wouldn't exactly be shocking.

He is a 24 year old father of one, and was on his way to what could very well have been a Hall of Fame career, and for the most part, seemingly a decent guy (outside of spitting on people) although kinda stupid at times.

I see no problem with people being shocked that something shocking happened.

Guest Vitamin X
4zm0sxc.gif

That just stuns me honestly, I thought he'd pull through. Things like this are just senseless. I'm bad with stuff like this because I don't know what to say, I loved the guy as a player and all he could do. Most importantly he has a young daughter and had turned his life around in many ways from being a perceived thug to a good guy.....

It's just so damn senseless, damn.

SO VERY VERY SENSELESS, DAMN SENSELESS DAMN JUST.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

I'm sure he was trying to turn it around, but this should show others that you just can't outrun your past sometimes.

And I know spitting on people isn't accepted anywhere, especially in sports, but what I meant by that was if you hear about a player spitting on someone and then they get shot and killed a few years later I wouldn't say "Well, the mutha fucka did spit on people." I don't think that counts as "troubled past".

Well the spitting was in addition to multiple fines for late hits, a drunk driving charge and threatening a man at gun point. You can start making excuses for him, but that's a string of incidents that show immaturity. When said player gets shot in some sort of apparent home invasion, it doesn't take a huge leap to try and link the two together.

Whether that's fair or not isn't really my call, but "troubled past" is part of the narrative of his life.