TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007

I'm not exactly sure the shorties next month will be all debuts. The theme is biggest bangs and dazzling debuts, so I would think debuts like Chris Jericho's would suffice as the dazzling debut, but not the debut of The Ringmaster or Deacon Batista. It's also more toward RAW's 15th anniversary, so I would assume it's some of the biggest moments on RAW. My personal pick for Batista would be when he turned on Triple H during the WM 21 contract signing.

Also, I have this Carlito/HBK match on tape. I remember being in an irc channel, and when HBK "hurt" his knee, everyone thought it was legit. Funny how some of the people on irc think they know exactly what happened:

"Look when he kipped up, he hurt his knee, it bent forward a bit so there is no way this is a work."

"ECW Network Debut 8/27/99 – A look back at the momentous network television debut of ECW. Tazz and Joey Styles recap the event and tell the behind-the-scenes story of how things didn’t go exactly as planned. Highlights include Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn for the ECW TV title and Tazz vs. Rhyno for the ECW World Championship".

And yeah, zio here has a point. The WWE.com description says it's 15 Shorties of people making their first "big impression" on Raw, not necessarily their debut. On that note, if it IS Raw debuts, it would actually be Batista, protege of Ric Flair, squashing Justin Credible that would be shown. The Deacon was a SmackDown exclusive gimmick.

Re: Blurring of the "Superstars of Wrestling" banners. It's been mentioned a few times (but I'm not coming up with any source to quote right now) that there is a trademark issue with the term "Superstars of Wrestling", which is why the show eventually became "WWF Superstars". Sadly when I asked this question to Meltzer a year ago (because when 24/7 aired the Christmas 89 Primetime, they did one of those picture in picture interviews and the screen background was a completely anachronistic "Superstars" logo with the new generation style logo) he answered me in the letters section of WO.com instead of a personal reply. The searchable archives on that site are, for all intents and purposes, non-existent, so I'll have to search for it.

Speaking of things normally blurred, I find it a bit amusing that it's a-ok to have a shirt that says "WW F'n F" as seen on ECW. The extra F makes all the difference (seriously... it's like how they can say "WWWF").

Edit: Found it. "There was a lawsuit many years ago by George Cannon who claimed the name Superstars of Wrestling, so for legal reasons, it was changed to WWF Superstars".

The '88 Rumble is a nice show, but that Stallions/Islanders is as dead a match as I have ever seen.

I think the show is decent. I was just saying the weightlifting and contract signings knock it down from being a good show to just decent.

And what the hell was the point of putting the Stallions/Islanders match after The Rumble? I know they were trying to kill time but couldn't they have just put it earlier in the show and served the same purpose?

Just in case the show ran short. If they put it in the middle and the show runs long, then what? Would USA cut away? Who knows.

"ECW Network Debut 8/27/99 – A look back at the momentous network television debut of ECW. Tazz and Joey Styles recap the event and tell the behind-the-scenes story of how things didn’t go exactly as planned. Highlights include Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn for the ECW TV title and Tazz vs. Rhyno for the ECW World Championship".

And yeah, zio here has a point. The WWE.com description says it's 15 Shorties of people making their first "big impression" on Raw, not necessarily their debut. On that note, if it IS Raw debuts, it would actually be Batista, protege of Ric Flair, squashing Justin Credible that would be shown. The Deacon was a SmackDown exclusive gimmick.

Re: Blurring of the "Superstars of Wrestling" banners. It's been mentioned a few times (but I'm not coming up with any source to quote right now) that there is a trademark issue with the term "Superstars of Wrestling", which is why the show eventually became "WWF Superstars". Sadly when I asked this question to Meltzer a year ago (because when 24/7 aired the Christmas 89 Primetime, they did one of those picture in picture interviews and the screen background was a completely anachronistic "Superstars" logo with the new generation style logo) he answered me in the letters section of WO.com instead of a personal reply. The searchable archives on that site are, for all intents and purposes, non-existent, so I'll have to search for it.

Speaking of things normally blurred, I find it a bit amusing that it's a-ok to have a shirt that says "WW F'n F" as seen on ECW. The extra F makes all the difference (seriously... it's like how they can say "WWWF").

Edit: Found it. "There was a lawsuit many years ago by George Cannon who claimed the name Superstars of Wrestling, so for legal reasons, it was changed to WWF Superstars".

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the tapings for the original ECW on TNN debut went very badly for whatever reason, and Heyman decided to re-air PPV matches in its place.

The '88 Rumble is a nice show, but that Stallions/Islanders is as dead a match as I have ever seen.

I think the show is decent. I was just saying the weightlifting and contract signings knock it down from being a good show to just decent.

And what the hell was the point of putting the Stallions/Islanders match after The Rumble? I know they were trying to kill time but couldn't they have just put it earlier in the show and served the same purpose?

WWE did the same during the Saturday Night's Main Event era. Big matches always came at the beginning or middle, with a "walkout" match at the end.

I haven't watched a full episode of RAW in maybe three or four years, so I hadn't seen the Carlito/Michaels match before. Pretty fantastic, although I was reminded how irritating Michaels' setup to Sweet Chin Music is. Stomping about always seemed like a great way to alert your opponent it was coming.

I'm excited about January's schedule. I've got a copy of the Rumble, but it looks like a dub of a dub of perhaps another dub.

Guest Lee_The_Pea
I haven't watched a full episode of RAW in maybe three or four years, so I hadn't seen the Carlito/Michaels match before. Pretty fantastic, although I was reminded how irritating Michaels' setup to Sweet Chin Music is. Stomping about always seemed like a great way to alert your opponent it was coming.

I'm excited about January's schedule. I've got a copy of the Rumble, but it looks like a dub of a dub of perhaps another dub.

The match was good but it hurt Carlito. He should have went over. Not beating an injured man made him look like mid-card. A victory here would have justified his long run in the elimination chamber and prehaps set up another match with Micheals at Mania and kept him stong though out the year. Losing to Micheals in a 20 min mania match would have elivated him farther and kept Micheals strong. but........

Anyone who's ever been stuck in traffic after a big show will appreciate what a good idea that is.

I'd stick around to watch two scrubs wrestle a 20 minute draw if 70% of the crowd left already because the main event was over.

The drive home from Joe Louis Arena after the SD/ECW taping in October was actually very nice for this very reason... so much of the crowd took off before / during ECW.

Rumble 88 is a decent show, I have it on tape. I am very interested in Bash at the Beach 94.

I just watched Rumble 1988 last week lol, but I like the theme, should be very cool

Shouldn't the Miz match be Miz vs. Puder in a Dixe Dogfight? :P

I guess he wasn't under official WWE contract during that time period so this would technically be correct.

Edge vs Eddie Guerrero = good times.

The Edge vs. Eddie match was great! I had never seen it but remember reading how it was one of the best matches ever on SmackDown. I can see why.

The real gems of the month again is Raw and History of the Intercontinental Title. I liked how they didn't just feature title matches this time and told a little bit more of a story.

I wonder what other kinds of matches will be featured on the 15th? Personally, I'd love to see the Jericho vs. Triple H last man standing match. I doubt we'll get that though since it would need to be blurred.

I watched HHH/HBK in a Cell and the Edge/Guerrero matches back to back and must say I enjoyed the hell out of both matches. Maybe I was feeling mellow but HHH/HBK didn't feel like 45 mins. Though I will say it was pretty silly seeing HHH stall SO F'N LONG on the one arm cover after the 1st Pedigree. As for the Edge/Guerrero match, that DDT off the ladder/top rope was sick indeed.

Raw and the IC Title ep were both solid. Fatu and Hart tore it up and I'm a mark for both evil Doink and The Narcississt.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see HHH/Jericho on the 15th. Though I'm guessing we're gonna get some Santa related segments/matches. As for January, I'm thinking they may stack about 5-10 Raws to celebrate the 15th Anniversary. That or hopefully a Rumble or two or three or more.

Guest bp2007
Shouldn't the Miz match be Miz vs. Puder in a Dixe Dogfight? :P

I guess he wasn't under official WWE contract during that time period so this would technically be correct.

Edge vs Eddie Guerrero = good times.

The Edge vs. Eddie match was great! I had never seen it but remember reading how it was one of the best matches ever on SmackDown. I can see why.

The real gems of the month again is Raw and History of the Intercontinental Title. I liked how they didn't just feature title matches this time and told a little bit more of a story.

I wonder what other kinds of matches will be featured on the 15th? Personally, I'd love to see the Jericho vs. Triple H last man standing match. I doubt we'll get that though since it would need to be blurred.

I watched HHH/HBK in a Cell and the Edge/Guerrero matches back to back and must say I enjoyed the hell out of both matches. Maybe I was feeling mellow but HHH/HBK didn't feel like 45 mins. Though I will say it was pretty silly seeing HHH stall SO F'N LONG on the one arm cover after the 1st Pedigree. As for the Edge/Guerrero match, that DDT off the ladder/top rope was sick indeed.

Raw and the IC Title ep were both solid. Fatu and Hart tore it up and I'm a mark for both evil Doink and The Narcississt.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see HHH/Jericho on the 15th. Though I'm guessing we're gonna get some Santa related segments/matches. As for January, I'm thinking they may stack about 5-10 Raws to celebrate the 15th Anniversary. That or hopefully a Rumble or two or three or more.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of Raw's in January. Maybe it's me being impatient but I wish we had more than 2 a month especially since they are only 1 hour long.

I doubt we'll get holiday themed matches the second half since it is a hardcore theme...yet it has a Christmas Tree in the background of the picture so who knows??? I wouldn't mind seeing a ladder match or TLC match in there as well. The 4-way tag ladder match from Armageddon would be cool to show. I haven't seen it since it originally aired and I wonder if it has strong re-watch value to it.

Regardless, I give 24/7 Online props for not going with Holiday themed matches. Those get old quickly and to be honest, that's what I expected to get this month.

WWE did the same during the Saturday Night's Main Event era. Big matches always came at the beginning or middle, with a "walkout" match at the end.

That scheduled SNME matches that way because, in theory, more people would be watching at the begining (11:30 p.m.) than at the end (1:00 a.m.)

Apparently nothing won the PYBO for this month (well, I'm sure something did, but the changed the page without putting up the results).

PYBO for January is the May 17, 1993 Raw (Razor vs Kid, Michaels vs Jannetty), the MSG '97 Raw (Cactus vs HHH, Austin/McMahon segment), and the December 29, 2003 Raw (HHH vs HBK). Not that I care since Cogeco probably won't get it anyway, but I suggest the 1993 Raw. Though if I weren't picking up the Shawn DVD, I'd really consider the 2003 Raw. The 1997 one will be shown sometime in 2008 anyway.

And hey, looks like I read WWE's mind on doing a Raw-based theme... though I wish they just showed at least two of those Raw's in TV Classics anyway.

Guest bp2007
Apparently nothing won the PYBO for this month (well, I'm sure something did, but the changed the page without putting up the results).

PYBO for January is the May 17, 1993 Raw (Razor vs Kid, Michaels vs Jannetty), the MSG '97 Raw (Cactus vs HHH, Austin/McMahon segment), and the December 29, 2003 Raw (HHH vs HBK). Not that I care since Cogeco probably won't get it anyway, but I suggest the 1993 Raw. Though if I weren't picking up the Shawn DVD, I'd really consider the 2003 Raw. The 1997 one will be shown sometime in 2008 anyway.

And hey, looks like I read WWE's mind on doing a Raw-based theme... though I wish they just showed at least two of those Raw's in TV Classics anyway.

If I recall the 2003 Raw was really really good. I believe it also had the return of Stone Cold and Victoria turning face? Could be wrong. Plus 1993 Raw will probably be on 24/7 Online by March?

You're right that we'll end up getting the 1997 MSG Raw, but it's still a very entertaining show. I kind of hope that one wins... the Cactus/HHH match is fun, especially the "interview" Dude Love has with Mankind to introduce Cactus and then HHH sells it as if his world just ended when Cactus Jack appears to a huge ovation.

If I recall the 2003 Raw was really really good. I believe it also had the return of Stone Cold and Victoria turning face? Could be wrong. Plus 1993 Raw will probably be on 24/7 Online by March?

I don't really count the Raw's I watch on 24/7 Online. If I could see them again on my TV, all the better. I guess my connection just isn't fast enough for the 750k streams (I only have DSL, not cable) and it's often very choppy.

The listed card for the 2003 Raw is RVD vs. Scott Steiner, Randy Orton vs. Booker T, 6 Divas Santa Match, and HHH vs HBK. I don't recall any of the angles but I recall it being a fun holiday show with a strong main event.

Oh, and Starrcade 92 won the PYBO.

I'm voting for the '93 RAW, only because I don't get 24/7 online, so I won't be able to watch it unless it makes it's way onto the regular programming.

Get this, that famous May 1993 Raw is maybe the ONLY Raw from 1993 that I missed. I had a baseball game that night and for whatever reason thought it would be over in time for wrestling. Of course the game before my team's ran long and I ended up missing the show. The next day at school I had a few people ask me if I had seen Raw, then described the wild action. While I saw the highlights on the weekend shows, I still was so frustrated at having missed it.

I almost always FF past the Taker/HHH match when I do my March to Mania annual WrestleMania viewings so this is the first time in almost 7 years I've actually watched the match. I remembered thinking it wasn't as good as everyone was saying back then... but it actually seems pretty good so far. I know the ending sequence is good, that's where I usually stop FF'ing.

For a second or two I thought they actually kept "Rollin" as previous edits of that theme don't keep the opening *DONG*. The actual result - BikerTaker coming down to the evil Ministry theme - was one of the more amusing visuals I've seen lately. Speaking of music edits, I noticed Jericho's "Evenflow" rip-off was intact on the Rey DVD, so here's hoping it stays when we get to the point he has it on 24/7.

I would not be surprised to see Mean Gene's gift be Hogan vs. Bockwinkel.

I think the most historically interesting show to air next month on 24/7 will be the infamous Black Saturday one. From the official site...

“Black Saturday” (World Championship Wrestling 7/14/84) – Known as “Black Saturday” to millions of wrestling fans around the South, WWE programming replaces long-running World Championship Wrestling, and the stars of the NWA, on Ted Turner’s TBS. Relive the show’s debut as Vince McMahon introduces the Superstars of the WWE, including The Iron Sheik and Jesse “The Body” Ventura, to a whole new audience.