TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007

I think the most historically interesting show to air next month on 24/7 will be the infamous Black Saturday one. From the official site...

“Black Saturday” (World Championship Wrestling 7/14/84) – Known as “Black Saturday” to millions of wrestling fans around the South, WWE programming replaces long-running World Championship Wrestling, and the stars of the NWA, on Ted Turner’s TBS. Relive the show’s debut as Vince McMahon introduces the Superstars of the WWE, including The Iron Sheik and Jesse “The Body” Ventura, to a whole new audience.

The irony being both Ventura and Sheik were already well known to those watching TBS at the time.

Guest heyguesswhatidid

Damn, why are all of this months Shorties all available on DVD's I have. I want something new!

Guest Bigelow34

I haven't gotten to check out 24/7 since yesterday AM. Which Hogan/Bockwinkle match is it and is it on DVD already?

Ok, here's what the unknown stuff is...

The Jesse Ventura 6 man tag is Jesse, Ken Patera and BOBBY HEENAN against Hulk Hogan and the High Flyers, in 1983...

Ventura vs. Backlund is from 3/14/82 at MSG

Mickie James gift is, as predicted, Kai vs. Richter from WM 1.

Yeah, that's all the stuff we don't know about.

Wow I'm getting good at predicting what the Shorties will be based on footage aired on the channel... so right now, unaccounted for but shown in footage matches are:

Rock vs Hogan

Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard

Patterson vs. Slaughter

Savage vs. Steamboat

Flair vs. Steamboat (Wrestlewar 89)

Dusty Rhodes vs. Ric Flair (photo on WWE.com)

I have a feeling Punk's gift is going to be Savage vs. Steamboat. So far no one's gift has been of one of their own matches, otherwise I would say Patterson vs. Slaughter would be Patterson's gift. I think Jack Korpela is going to intro Hogan vs. Rock, don't know why though. Coach... no idea. I guess I really have no prediction for tomorrow. I'll go out on a limb and say Coach wants us to watch Shane McMahon vs. Eric Bischoff from SummerSlam 2003, but that would be a pretty bad gift, Coachman.

Wow I'm getting good at predicting what the Shorties will be based on footage aired on the channel... so right now, unaccounted for but shown in footage matches are:

Rock vs Hogan

Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard

Patterson vs. Slaughter

Savage vs. Steamboat

Flair vs. Steamboat (Wrestlewar 89)

Dusty Rhodes vs. Ric Flair (photo on WWE.com)

I have a feeling Punk's gift is going to be Savage vs. Steamboat. So far no one's gift has been of one of their own matches, otherwise I would say Patterson vs. Slaughter would be Patterson's gift. I think Jack Korpela is going to intro Hogan vs. Rock, don't know why though. Coach... no idea. I guess I really have no prediction for tomorrow. I'll go out on a limb and say Coach wants us to watch Shane McMahon vs. Eric Bischoff from SummerSlam 2003, but that would be a pretty bad gift, Coachman.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tommy Dreamer picks Magnum vs. Tully, especially if it's the I-Quit match.

I want a WarGames thrown in there. I don't particularly care which one.

Agreed... although there would be some WarGames matches I'd want over others - basically any of the ones from 1987-1992.

Hell thinking about it, I think all WarGames from '93 on were kind of lame with the exception of '96 (Which I remember being pretty good but haven't seen in 8 or 9 years).

Does anybody even remember WarGames 2000 besides myself?

I thought the 1997 War Games blew ass too.

Wasn't that the one where Hennig slammed the door on Flair's head?

Yeah... I remember being pissed off at that ending. If I remember correctly, it was Nash captaining the NWO "B" team of Syxx, Bagwell, and Konnan against Flair, Mongo, Benoit, and Henning, who of course had gotten Anderson's "spot".

War Games 94 was really underrated and fun.

96 and 97 were allright, but lacked the hate and blood that usually made the War Games matches.

93, 95, 98, and 00 are the only really bad ones

WarGames 2000...ugh. I don't mind any of them, except that one and 93. Just the concept of the match and all is enough to keep me entertained throughout.

Guest heyguesswhatidid

Bulldogs dance on the new Raw after the Rocky/Owen match is classic.

The Meadowlands show is 3 years before I came into the world. Looking forward to watching it, but that 163 minute time tag isn't making me exactly await it.

Just finished watching the new Tuesday Night Titans. The best segment had to be McMahon's interview of Joe Frazier. Frazier comes out with a chicken dressed as Roddy Piper. He seems pretty punch drunk here and Vince doesn't know what to do with them. We get footage of Roddy Piper with Bob Orton and Lou Dova as the Wrestlemania II news conference. Piper follows with another classic manic, coke-fueled rant on Mr. T. Seeing some of this stuff now made me realize how much Piper buried and humuiliated Mr. T during their various fuels. His dislike for T is evident and he always made him look bad, which is pretty damn funny.

Other interesting segments is the TNT debut of Jake Roberts, in his usual creepy form. Although they never acknowledged the past back then, they at least have the smarts to say that Roberts experience is extensive. We even get a mention that Lord Alfred was a judo champion years ago. He actually used to wrestled under the name of Judo Al Hayes.

Definitely have to say in my books, that was one of the best MNWs in weeks.

Raw: Good show with good nostalgia. I already said I was looking forward to Owen's big win and I still enjoyed it. As mentioned, Bulldog's antics in celebration of Owen's win was tremendous. I loved all the stuff with Pillman and Bret's first promo ("Go ahead and chant USA, my mother is American") was pretty good too. I didn't realize this was the Raw with a big Austin / Undertaker confrontation to set up Cold Day in Hell... how I marked for that 10.5 years ago. Really hot ending to the show.

Nitro: Also a very hot ending! Normally I hate Nitro's motto of advertising main events that you know aren't going to happen, but Flair was ready to go and get everyone excited. Juvi vs. Syxx was also pretty awesome, best match on Nitro in awhile.

WWF Alert! Jim Ross mentions the "WWF Superstar line".

Chris Benoit alert! Apparently Jeff Jarrett earned his respect.

Odd note on TNT, Jake's snake bag looks like it says "Phillip Fry" on it during a quick shot. A longer shot of the bag reveals it says something else, possibly the snake handlers name (Phillip Frsomething). I like how the DDT is called a "reverse bulldog".

Damnit! I almost predicted that was going to be his choice but I thought Coach's choice might have been something not yet revealed. Oh well, one more down, more unpredictability coming up.