TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

Internet Explorer is running slow

Since yesterday my internet explorer has been running pretty slow. Websites take awhile to load up or they won't load at all. I've checked other programs to see if they run just as slow but they don't, I think it's just my internet explorer. Might anyone know why I'm having this problem? I'm thinking of just updating to Firefox, but I wanted to see if anyone knew how to fix the issue I'm having with Explorer first.

Since yesterday my internet explorer has been running pretty slow. Websites take awhile to load up or they won't load at all. I've checked other programs to see if they run just as slow but they don't, I think it's just my internet explorer. Might anyone know why I'm having this problem? I'm thinking of just updating to Firefox, but I wanted to see if anyone knew how to fix the issue I'm having with Explorer first.

Try clearing your cookies and temp internet files.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Yeah, if you're using IE7 (and you should be), just go to Tools->Delete Browsing History. That cleans your stuff up pretty quick. You could also run Disk Cleanup (as an administrator; you should not be using an administrator account for general purpose computing - I am assuming you are on XP) and take care of any excess crap that way.

I would not really expect Firefox to be faster for you if you have a real problem. You might perceive it to be faster because everyone says it will be faster, but you're not really going to get much of an improvement at all in my opinion.

If you're still using IE6, uh, upgrade to IE7.

The reason for switching is usually not its speed, anyway, it's because it sports better security, design, and more functionality than others.

Biggest difference between IE 6 and IE7.

Also, switching browsers is good for other things also. Opera uses way less system resources. Firefox offers different extensions. IE7 offers maximum compatibility with websites.

I changed my mind about the IE running slow, I think I realized what it COULD be. I think it's my comcast modem. For the past few days, since I've made this post, browsing websites have been getting worse and worse and earlier today, I couldn't even get online with anything. I called Comcast and the guy over the phone told me that on his end, his computer was telling him that my modem (that comcast provided me) wasn't fully online or something like that.

So now I have a comcast tech coming to my house to expect the modem. If he doesn't find anything wrong with my modem, i'm going to be charged 50 fucking bucks, but the guy I was talking to, says I shouldn't be charged that.

Well now I'm worried because all of a sudden my internet seems to be working just fine, which makes me think my modem isn't having an issue now....which is fucking great!

I don't know why my internet all of a sudden is deciding to work now, but I'm hoping tomorrow, the tech guy just comes over and the modem is fucked up and I don't get charged the 50 bucks. Well this now bites.

I changed my mind about the IE running slow, I think I realized what it COULD be. I think it's my comcast modem. For the past few days, since I've made this post, browsing websites have been getting worse and worse and earlier today, I couldn't even get online with anything. I called Comcast and the guy over the phone told me that on his end, his computer was telling him that my modem (that comcast provided me) wasn't fully online or something like that.

So now I have a comcast tech coming to my house to expect the modem. If he doesn't find anything wrong with my modem, i'm going to be charged 50 fucking bucks, but the guy I was talking to, says I shouldn't be charged that.

Well now I'm worried because all of a sudden my internet seems to be working just fine, which makes me think my modem isn't having an issue now....which is fucking great!

I don't know why my internet all of a sudden is deciding to work now, but I'm hoping tomorrow, the tech guy just comes over and the modem is fucked up and I don't get charged the 50 bucks. Well this now bites.

Try resetting your modem.

Turn it off, unplug it, wait a minute, plug it back in, and turn it on.

See how that works.

See how that works.

Do you work for Comcast?

See how that works.

Do you work for Comcast?

Nope. But that's what I've done to my cable modem when it would slow down to a crawl. It worked.

Why?

My IE7 and FireFox 2 browsers are both running VERY slow (if at all) and this just started today. I can only access a few websites (oddly, TSM is the only site that is working well for me at the moment). I'm on Bellsouth/AT&T DSL, and this has never happened before. I did A-Squared and McAfee scans and nothing showed up.

My IE7 and FireFox 2 browsers are both running VERY slow (if at all) and this just started today. I can only access a few websites (oddly, TSM is the only site that is working well for me at the moment). I'm on Bellsouth/AT&T DSL, and this has never happened before. I did A-Squared and McAfee scans and nothing showed up.

My Firefox browser now asks me for additional plug-ins to Youtube videos as well, and this started today too.

So I found it out it's apprently Comcast. I guess my area is having internet problems so I guess they're now working on it.

Same thing happened to me earlier tonight. I couldn't even get online even though it said I was. This isn't the first time it's happened to me. Works now thankfully.