TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Wire: Final Season

As I am about to embark on re-watching all the seasons, I figured I would start this thread.

What we know: Jimmy McNulty the family man is a thing of the past.

The media is the over-riding theme of the season.

Wood Harris has said we have not seen the last of Avon Barksdale.

It premieres January 6th and it's really all we've got with the damn strike going on.

What does everyone want to see happen?

I read an interview with David Simon where he says that Detective Sydnor is the only character to remian morally clean at the end of the show. Take that for what you will. Oh and Clark Johnson is going to be playing the newspaper editor and Detective John Munch is going to make a guest appearence this season (Which will make it the 10th series he's appeared on). I really wonder how they're going to work in Munch, it's seems like stunt casting but since it's The Wire, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I live in B'more and saw them filming (or waiting to film) a couple of times this summer.

Once, they were all outside this punk bar downtown called Sidebar. I went in to have a beer and saw that they were set up inside as well. They were setting up the lighting for

one of those "Irish Wake" scenes in which a cop is laying on a pool table. I don't know who is supposed to be for, but I have my suspicions.

One of the assistants asked me if I was an extra, and I said "Nope, I just came for a beer." She promptly told me to leave. As I was leaving, I noticed they had changed the awning over the door, I forget what phony bar name was. This scene was shot right before they wrapped.

Another scene i saw them shoot, was in an episode that Dominic West was directing. The shot a scene of blood splattering against a wall like 5 times.

I can't wait for this. Season 4 seemed a bit too much like a half-way season. It's a shame that it'll be the final season. I guess it's a case of quitting while ahead.

Well Michael definitely will be.

One question.... I forget if it was answered. Was anything ever made about Rawls being in the gay bar?

I think of all tandems on the show I might just go with Omar and Brother Mouzone. That was a fuckin' ruthless twosome.

Me personally, the original crew in The Pit(Bodie, Wallace, Poot, and D'Angelo) were my favorites on the show, because I could relate to all of them on a personal level. But I was just talking about the cops in the original post.

It's not going to happen, but I'd like to see the series end with Bubbles getting clean. But then it wouldn't be Bubbles. And everyone else can die, but I want Omar standing when it's done

So... I'm watching all the seasons and I'm up to Season 3, Episode 1, which is sort of a landmark episode. Towers fall... Colvin and Marlo introduced, along with Carcetti.

Anyway - apparently the Marlo/Barksdale conflict is supposed to be a metaphor for Iraq? That's what David Simon said in the commentary. His commentaries are always very enlightening but also leave me scratching my heads in parts.

It makes sense, since Marlo had been taking over the city and Avon wanted the turf for the drug revenue (oil). Instead of trying to work something out he just uses more and more force. Avon gets lazy with his planning and his ego makes him get reckless in execution without really thinking the situation through. He refuses to change or stop and it ultimately brings him down.

I think I've decided that Cutty in the 3rd season is my favorite character in the arc of the series.

They kinda knocked him down a bit in 4 with him screwing everyone's mother, but his reformation story in season 3 is brilliant.

I don't think the storyline with Cutty balling the boys mothers was meant to bring him down a peg so much as it was used to illustrate how boys raised by single mothers react to a new man entering their lives.