TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

Christmas music

Guest Smues

It's that time of year again, or at least close to it. I didn't think the radio station I listen to was going to switch to their all christmas music format until after Thanksgiving like last year but then I discovered yesterday that they made the switch at noon. It's like an early Christmas present to me.

I know there was a thread about Christmas music last year, but I figured I'd just start a new one rather than bump a year old thread. Personally, I love me some Christmas music. I'm a freak and listen to it all year long.

So what Christmas songs do you guys/gals/transexuals like/hate? I tend to like pretty much all Christmas music except some of the somber depressing shit. And nothing will top Vaughn Monroe's version of Let It Snow. I could listen to that all year on an endless loop. And I almost do.

The worst Christmas song I have ever heard is Christmas Shoes. What a piece of shit that is, and somehow it got made into a movie with Rob Lowe. I want a hippotomus for Christmas is pretty bad too, but at least it's optimistic and not so damned depressing.

Edit: More thoughts. "Where are you Christmas?" sucks, and I'm not a fan of any of the trans-siberian orchestra stuff either. Any version of "I'll be home for Christmas" sucks if it isn't the Tony Bennet version. They haven't played it yet this year, but on my radio station last year several times a day they played this "Soldiers' Christmas" thing which was somber music in the background as Santa talks about going down the chimney in the house of a soldier. For some reason it was really popular up here but in actually it's pointless and stupid and has no point.

And I'll go ahead and admit it and lose my card in the manly club: I love Mariah Carry's "All I want for Christmas is You." Love it.

"In the meadow we can build a snowman

Then pretend that he is Parson Brown

He'll say are you married and we'll say no man

But you can do the job when you're in town"

Who is Parson Brown and why does everybody who sings that song want to fuck him?

Well, having worked in retail, I'd pretty much blow my head off listening to Xmas music all the time, but I don't anymore, so I can sort of enjoy it now.

I like Presley Xmas music, which is a bit odd, cause I don't particularly like him otherwise. Also in this tradition, I really enjoy the ICP song "Santa's A Fat Bitch". It's a funny song, what can I say.

There's this one Amy Grant song that sounds really racist, too. It talks about waking up to a world of white and lighting up the fireplace with Nat King Cole.

Oh yeah, I also like Nat King Cole.

Guest Smues
My mom puts that Amy Grant CD on every Christmas.

Oh Jesus I've been trying to repress the memories of that album forever. When I was a kid that tape was ALWAYS fucking playing whenever my mom drove us anywhere in the winter. Sleighride, a song I would otherwise probably love, gives me fucking nightmares because of hearing the Amy Grant version so many times.

They play her version of Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree on the radio up here a lot. It's not god awful or anything but I don't like it much at all. I'll take the Brenda Lee version anyday.

My favorites;

Paul McCartney- Wonderful Christmastime (Go ahead- give me crap for this one. I don't care. I have an unabashed love for McCartney and Wings.)

The Pogues- Fairy Tale of New York

Band Aid- Do They Know It's Christmas? (Another one you can give me crap about. I don't care. Bono's line kills me. Tonight THANK GOD IT'S THEM INSTEAD OF YOOOUUUU

The Darkness- Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)

Guest Smues

Wonderful Christmastime isn't that great, but I can enjoy it well enough. And I'll take it anyday over the other Christmas song from a Beattle that gets played a lot, John Lennon's Christmas song "Happy Christmas (War is Over)"

Has anyone heard the Christmas "Song" which is just Santa Claus talking about going down the chimney of a soldier's house? They played it a lot up here last year and it's damn depressing and pretty pointless too.

My mom puts that Amy Grant CD on every Christmas.

Oh Jesus I've been trying to repress the memories of that album forever. When I was a kid that tape was ALWAYS fucking playing whenever my mom drove us anywhere in the winter. Sleighride, a song I would otherwise probably love, gives me fucking nightmares because of hearing the Amy Grant version so many times.

They play her version of Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree on the radio up here a lot. It's not god awful or anything but I don't like it much at all. I'll take the Brenda Lee version anyday.

My mom played this shit relentlessly, too.

I really dig Elvis Christmas stuff and the Home Alone soundtracks. Yeah, believe it.

"In the meadow we can build a snowman

Then pretend that he is Parson Brown

He'll say are you married and we'll say no man

But you can do the job when you're in town"

Who is Parson Brown and why does everybody who sings that song want to fuck him?

From wikipedia

Parson Brown

The following lyrics compose the musical bridge of the song:

"In the meadow we can build a snowman,

then pretend that he is Parson Brown.

He'll say 'Are You Married?'

We'll say 'No man, but you can do the job when you're in town!"

Given that a Floridian orange grower was the only well-known person by the name of "Parson Brown" at the time the song was composed, one can assume that "Parson" is used as a first name rather than a title. In the period when this song was written, parsons (now known as a Protestant ministers) often traveled among small rural towns to perform wedding ceremonies for denominational followers who did not have a local minister of their own faith. It is therefore likely that the children are pretending that their snowman is a parson with the surname "Brown" who would be visiting the town again in the future. The words "Parson Brown" also feature in the 1929 Al Jolson song "Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)".

In modern-day versions of the song, the term "Parson Brown" is sometimes substituted with "Charlie Brown", either for comical or secular reasons, or for a sense of familiarity. An example of such usage is in the cover by pop band Hellogoodbye.

Suddenly it's Christmas,

Right after Hallowe'en.

Forget about Thanksgiving;

It's just a buffet in between.

There's lights and tinsel in the windows;

They're stocking up the shelves;

Santa's slaving at the North Pole

In his sweatshop full of elves.

There's got to be a build-up

To the day that Christ was born:

The halls are decked with pumpkins

And the ears of Indian corn.

Dragging through the falling leaves

In a one-horse open sleigh,

Suddenly it's Christmas,

Seven weeks before the day.

Suddenly it's Christmas,

The longest holiday.

When they say "Season's Greetings"

They mean just what they say:

It's a season, it's a marathon,

Retail eternity.

It's not over till it's over

And you throw away the tree.

Outside it's positively balmy,

In the air nary a nip;

Suddenly it's Christmas,

Unbuttoned and unzipped.

Yes, they're working overtime,

Santa's little runts;

Christmas comes but once a year

And goes on for two months.

Christmas carols in December

And November, too;

It's no wonder we're depressed

When the whole thing is through.

Finally it's January;

Let's sing "Auld Lang Syne";

But here comes another heartache,

Shaped like a Valentine.

Suddenly it's Christmas,

The longest holiday.

The season is upon us;

A pox, it won't go away.

It's a season, it's a marathon,

Retail eternity.

It's not over till it's over

No, it's not over till it's over

And you throw away the tree;

It's still not over till it's over

-Loudon Wainwright III

Milky beat me to it.

Five Xmases working at Wal*Mart now. And I hated it long before I started working there. My stepdad thought the day after Thanksgiving was unquestionably the right time to put the lights and tree up.

Oh yeah, Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving the second Monday in October.

My favorite Christmas CD.

AVerySpecialChristmas1_300.jpg

1. "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" - The Pointer Sisters

2. "Winter Wonderland" - Eurythmics

3. "Do You Hear What I Hear?" - Whitney Houston

4. "Merry Christmas Baby" - Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band

5. "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" - Pretenders

6. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" - John Mellencamp

7. "Gabriel's Message" - Sting

8. "Christmas In Hollis" - Run-D.M.C.

9. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" - U2

10. "Santa Baby" - Madonna

11. "Little Drummer Boy - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

12. "Run Rudolph Run" - Bryan Adams

13. "Back Door Santa" - Bon Jovi

* For unknown reasons, "Back Door Santa" was replaced on later pressings of the album with "I Wish Every Day Could Be Like Christmas," also by Bon Jovi.

14. "The Coventry Carol" - Alison Moyet

15. "Silent Night" - Stevie Nicks

The whole CD's great, but those are my 2 favs. Also, it's sales benefited the Special Olympics so that's also good.

the Home Alone soundtracks.

I was just about to mention them too.

Ugh, that is the sound of someone going insane. To each their own and all, but I hate those.

I really have a love hate thing with Home Alone in general, because I love the wacky shenanigans at the end, and Harry and Marv are pretty cool, but the rest of the movies do nothing for me.

Still, I can likely quote a good 90% of Home Alone 2.

My favorite Xmas movie is of course Christmas Vacation, but that's for another thread.

Didn't Sufjan Stevens do a christmas cd? Did anyone hear that?

This thread reminds me of the day before Christmas break in elementary school when we would have a big sing-along in the gymnasatourium (audinasium?).

Didn't Sufjan Stevens do a christmas cd? Did anyone hear that?

Yeah, he did. It's a big 5-disc number. I've heard a good portion of it, and it's kinda hit-and-miss. Songs like "Star of Wonder" and "Put the Lights on the Tree" are good, especially the former, and there's some good folky versions of some standards, but then there are some other songs that are like a heaping glass of NyQuil.

Also, does "New York City" by They Might Be Giants remind anyone else of Christmas?

yeah yeah yeah, I listen to They Might Be Giants.

Always enjoy the Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole Christmas songs. In addition to Sufjan Stevens and Hawksley Workman's christmas records. And Jimmy Eat World's cover of Last Christmas

Guest Smues
Also, does "New York City" by They Might Be Giants remind anyone else of Christmas?

yeah yeah yeah, I listen to They Might Be Giants.

Yeah it kind of does because of the bells and what not. It'd be a great song if weren't about New York.

My favorite Christmas CD.

AVerySpecialChristmas1_300.jpg

1. "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" - The Pointer Sisters

2. "Winter Wonderland" - Eurythmics

3. "Do You Hear What I Hear?" - Whitney Houston

4. "Merry Christmas Baby" - Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band

5. "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" - Pretenders

6. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" - John Mellencamp

7. "Gabriel's Message" - Sting

8. "Christmas In Hollis" - Run-D.M.C.

9. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" - U2

10. "Santa Baby" - Madonna

11. "Little Drummer Boy - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

12. "Run Rudolph Run" - Bryan Adams

13. "Back Door Santa" - Bon Jovi

* For unknown reasons, "Back Door Santa" was replaced on later pressings of the album with "I Wish Every Day Could Be Like Christmas," also by Bon Jovi.

14. "The Coventry Carol" - Alison Moyet

15. "Silent Night" - Stevie Nicks

The whole CD's great, but those are my 2 favs. Also, it's sales benefited the Special Olympics so that's also good.

Man that god damn CD drive me nuts. My mother makes me play it every Christmas for the U2 song. Hell she even made me play it in May.

Guest u r teh world 2 me

has anybody heard the twisted sister christmas album that came out last year? i'm REALLY curious, but haven't heard anything from it.

This isn't music related at all, but it just pissed me off in a Rogers commercial.

Why the hell did kids go through their hidden presents before Xmas Day? I'm sure there were a few lies, but almost everyone I went to school with as a kid rooted through their presents beforehand. I never got why.