TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

BCS selection announcement

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think should be in the BCS championship game?

• Ohio State
    • LSU
    • Georgia
    • Virginia Tech
    • Oklahoma
    • USC
    • Kansas
    • West Virginia
    • Hawaii
    • Other (specify)

I have no problem with Illinois being in the Rose Bowl. It was forseeable that they would want to preserve the Big 10/Pac 10 matchup. If there is any team I don't like, its Kansas.

Mangino doesn't like healthy foods. There won't be any fun in watching him eat oranges if they win, but had they went to Tempe, we would have seen him eating an entire bag of tortilla chips during the post-game press conference.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

What would he do in the Sugar Bowl, stick his face in a pile of sugar like Tony Montana?

The WAC should just stop having teams go undefeated. It's incredibly worthless to them since they can't get much but a little trophy basically saying, "Hey, no matter what you do, you'll never be nearly as important as another team that lost".

What would he do in the Sugar Bowl, stick his face in a pile of sugar like Tony Montana?

I don't know, but had they earned the right to play there on the field, instead of sitting at home after last week, he probably would have picked up the sugar cubes the student section would have thrown on the field and eaten them. Or baked a cake before the game, taken it to the press conference and proclaimed, "I love Sugar," while devouring it between sentences, presumably praising how well his defense played.

So does WVU deserve a BCS bid? Kansas? Illinois? Hawaii? Did LSU deserve to jump 5 spots into the NC? Did Georgia deserve a look? Did OSU deserve #1 ranking by finishing early and letting everyone else fail like they always do?

The clarity. It burns.

The WAC should just stop having teams go undefeated. It's incredibly worthless to them since they can't get much but a little trophy basically saying, "Hey, no matter what you do, you'll never be nearly as important as another team that lost".

I doubt the conference thinks it's worthless considering the more than $30 million they've made now these last two years from Boise State and Hawaii making BCS bowls.

Here are the bowl games that interest me... PPG vs. PAPG in brackets (credit James Howell for the numbers)

Motor City Bowl: Purdue (32.92 vs. 24.75) vs. Central Michigan (33.77 vs. 35.85)

- Aerial fireworks depending if CM can match throw for throw.

Cotton Bowl: Missouri (40.00 vs. 24.54) vs. Arkansas (39.83 vs. 25.58)

- Potential to top 90+ points combined.

GMAC Bowl: Bowling Green (32.08 vs. 29.50) vs. Tulsa (39.46 vs. 35.38)

- Could be a quietly solid slugfest offensively.

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma (43.38 vs. 18.15) vs. West Virginia (38.92 vs. 17.25)

- Has the chance at being another OK/Boise State game.

The games I like the best are the...

Fiesta Bowl

Cotton Bowl

Las Vegas Bowl

and the Peach Bowl

Here are the bowl games that interest me... PPG vs. PAPG in brackets (credit James Howell for the numbers)

Motor City Bowl: Purdue (32.92 vs. 24.75) vs. Central Michigan (33.77 vs. 35.85)

- Aerial fireworks depending if CM can match throw for throw.

Cotton Bowl: Missouri (40.00 vs. 24.54) vs. Arkansas (39.83 vs. 25.58)

- Potential to top 90+ points combined.

GMAC Bowl: Bowling Green (32.08 vs. 29.50) vs. Tulsa (39.46 vs. 35.38)

- Could be a quietly solid slugfest offensively.

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma (43.38 vs. 18.15) vs. West Virginia (38.92 vs. 17.25)

- Has the chance at being another OK/Boise State game.

I don't like it. Purdue already beat the shit outta Central Michigan.

Purdue: September 15 Central Michigan W 45-22 3-0 (0-0)

Also, Florida should mash on michigan, and I refuse to watch the title game. osu vs lsu. Are you fucking kidding me? osu has looked like shit the entire year, and lsu already fucked up numerous times when at the #1 or #2 spot. Fuck both teams. Shoulda brought out Oklahoma.

To answer oldshool's question yes WVU obviously deserved a BCS bid since they won a BCS conference to get there. The Pitt disaster only impacted their national title hopes, but they had the BCS wrapped up.

These games suck, they really do. Ohio St. vs. LSU is the same tedious good old boy crap on top, and we have no idea if these are really the two best teams. Kansas vs. VT is a matchup few people want to see at all (and VT will likely stomp them). I am somewhat interested in WVU vs. OU to see if WVU can somehow get Pat White healthy and rebound from that Pitt debacle against an OU team that is rolling. Hawaii vs. Georgia will prove interesting, though I really don't think Hawaii is in the same league as Boise from last year. And the Rose Bowl? Good grief. I know they wanted to keep it Big 10 vs. Pac 10, but a 3 loss Illinois team getting a BCS at large? Is there anyone who thinks they have a hope in hell against USC?

If I'm Missouri I am fucking pissed. Mizzou already beat Illinois and has a better record. Also beat Kansas recently. The demented aspect of this is that Mizzou would have been better off losing to Kansas and then let Kansas get maimed by OU.

Author's Note: I initially posted this on my MySpace and edited it a bit to TSMize it a bit.

Institute a playoff in college football NOW!

Seriously. The BCS is a joke. Always has been. Always will be. When Nebraska played in the National Championship Game in 1998 despite not winning their conference, it was a joke. When it was USC vs. Oklahoma a few years ago despite LSU being a better team that either one of them (and having a better record than Oklahoma), it was a joke. But this takes the case.

The national championship game: LSU vs. Ohio State.

Go Buckeyes. Beat the shit out of those pretenders to the top two. (And honestly, I'm an Ohio State fan, and you can make an argument they shouldn't be there either.)

Because the true number one team ain't playing.

The final standings (note the records):

1. Ohio State (11-1)

2. LSU (11-2)

3. Virginia Tech (11-2)

4. Oklahoma (11-2)

5. Georgia (10-2)

6. Missouri (11-2)

7. USC (10-2)

8. Kansas (11-1)

9. West Virginia (10-2)

10. Hawaii (12-0)

11. Arizona State (10-2)

12. Florida (9-3)

13. Illinois (9-3)

14. Boston College (10-3)

15. Clemson (9-3)

16. Tennessee (9-4)

17. BYU ((10-2)

18. Wisconsin (9-3)

19. Texas (9-3)

20. Virginia (9-3)

21. South Florida (9-3)

22. Cincinnati (9-3)

23. Auburn (8-4)

24. Boise State (10-2)

25. Connecticut (9-3)

So, the only undefeated team in college football has no shot at the national championship. But a team with two losses, one to unranked Arkansas and the other to unranked Kentucky, does. OK, Kentucky might have been ranked at the time, I can't remember, but where are they now?

I want a playoff and I want a playoff now!

Hawaii is the only team in whatever the hell they call division 1-A this week to achieve its goal: Win every regular season football game. Therefore, they are the only team that there's no argument against.

Oh, I can hear you people going "but what top schools did they play? Look at all those joke teams on their schedule!" Well, as one TSM poster stated, Hawaii beat all their "joke" teams. LSU didn't.

And as another poster stated, playing nothing but joke teams never stopped Notre Dame in the days of the Bowl Alliance.

(Random rant: Michigan refused to play Hawaii. They lost to Appalachian fucking State. I don't even know where Appalachian State is. Somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains, but beyond that, who the fuck knows? Or cares outside of Appalachian State?)

The BCS should be used to seed a 16-team tournament. There'd still be controversy, but at least it would be settled on the field. The way it should be.

I only hear three arguments with any consistently against a playoff system:

1. But what about the money the schools will lose? It's amateur sports. It's not supposed to be about money. That why it's not called "the NFL rookie league". Christ, look at some of the bowl games that we absolutely have to play.

The Poinsettia Bowl Why not the Dandelion Bowl? Or the Daisy Bowl? Or the Poison Oak Bowl?

The Papajohns.com Bowl Yes, the pizza chain's website gets its own meaningless bowl game.

The Texas Bowl This game is so meaningless that the NFL Network is carrying it, which means more people will be in the stadium than actually watching it on TV in the first place.

The Meineke Car Care Bowl Tell me that's a rib. That has got to be a rib.

I'm still waiting for a game to be played in Beijing and be called the China Bowl just to fuck with our heads.

2. A playoff system will take too long. The national championship game is scheduled for January 7. If you take next week off and play one round every week, only playing Saturday games, the playoff would start on December 15 and end on January 5...two days before the currently scheduled championship game. What exactly are we delaying here? Plus, every game would mean something, which means better TV ratings.

3. Bowl games are tradition. While I agree with this to a point, it's a flawed argument. I can't imagine New Year's Day without the Rose Bowl, but why bother when USC vs. Illinois means nothing? A compromise: Keep the bowl games by calling each playoff game a different bowl game. Use the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl as the semifinals and the Orange Bowl as the finals, use the other long-standing ones as the quarterfinals, and some of those fringe bowls that aren't totally worthless can be used for the first round. You keep your outdated tradition, and we get a legitimate national champion.

Seriously, why even have a WAC school play the games if they mean nothing? Why not just use the top six conferences as the only ones eligible for the BCS at all and turn all the mid-major conferences into Division 1-AA schools if they have no shot at playing the big game? Or create a separate game for the mid-majors to determine "the best of the teams we refuse to make number 1"? Call it the Toilet Bowl, because that's where such a game would belong.

I'd like to see the NFL keep the Patriots out of the Super Bowl because "they've played nothing but joke teams".

The NFL has a playoff system, so there's no comparison. I concede that this year has been a particularly rough one for the BCS and I'm personally 100% in favor of a playoff system, but there's just absolutely no way that you could put Hawaii in the national championship game. You don't think LSU goes undefeated playing Hawaii's schedule? At least a quarter of the BCS-conference teams would absolutely blow through that shit without a team getting within 30 of them.

The NFL has a playoff system, so there's no comparison. I concede that this year has been a particularly rough one for the BCS and I'm personally 100% in favor of a playoff system, but there's just absolutely no way that you could put Hawaii in the national championship game. You don't think LSU goes undefeated playing Hawaii's schedule? At least a quarter of the BCS-conference teams would absolutely blow through that shit without a team getting within 30 of them.

When the BCS schools refuse to play you because {insert reason here} then there's no comparison either. The current system makes it impossible for a mid-major to play for a national championship, which leaves over 60 schools with the options to scratch their asses and like it or scratch their asses and bitch about it.

Why shouldn't Hawaii at least get the shot, especially when Appalachian fucking State can beat Michigan?

When the BCS schools refuse to play you because {insert reason here} then there's no comparison either. The current system makes it impossible for a mid-major to play for a national championship, which leaves over 60 schools with the options to scratch their asses and like it or scratch their asses and bitch about it.

Why shouldn't Hawaii at least get the shot, especially when Appalachian fucking State can beat Michigan?

Because they had the 116th toughest schedule in college football. Yeah the mid majors basically have no shot at the championship, the BCS wasnt created for them. It was created for the 6 conferences and Notre Dame. Even if there were an 8 team playoff, I would not include Hawaii in there either. If you reward Hawaii by putting them in the title game, we will never see a good, competitive non conference game again. Why should Virginia Tech schedule LSU when they can schedule both Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern? Thats dangerous.

I go to a NCAA Division II School...

Which has a playoff system..

but the big boys can't have one....

My School is in the semifinals....

Games are on Saturdays just like regular season....

You can make a couple primetime adjustments and still have a playoff system

in D1...That Class shit is bogus...If DII and DIII can have a playoff, you can too

Hey, don't hate on the Texas Bowl.

Houston / TCU is actually looking to be a good match-up. Sucks that Briles up and left my school to go and coach Baylor, but I bet it becomes a sleeper game.

Hawai'i got their BCS bowl. And I can't complain about that.

Here's hoping that a playoff system comes down the pipes soon; there's no clear cut "best team in the country", and the one I would choose for that distinction (Oklahoma) isn't even in the title game. And there's millions of people around the country that'll disagree with me and endorse a different school. Maybe the NCAA and BCS will get the hint that there's a strong argument for nearly six or seven teams to challenge for the national title...or maybe we'll just repeat this next year. Sure.

Seriously. The BCS is a joke. Always has been. Always will be. When Nebraska played in the National Championship Game in 1998 despite not winning their conference, it was a joke. When it was USC vs. Oklahoma a few years ago despite LSU being a better team that either one of them (and having a better record than Oklahoma), it was a joke. But this takes the case.

LSU wasn't a better team than USC or Oklahoma that year, nor did they have a better record than an undefeated USC or Oklahoms. That was the USC/Oklahoma/Auburn/Utah (I think there was a fith team too, possibly Boise State) undefeated at the end of the season so who will go to the NC debacle, much like this year.

Everything else in your post I agree with except I think a playoff of 8 would work better. I almost like the old bowl system where you could suddenly be playing for the National Championship in the middle of your bowl, because #1 whoever just fell to #6 whoever in their bowl.

Oregon State beat Oregon and finished with a better conference record, alone at 3rd place... and the 4th place Ducks got picked by the Sun Bowl sending OSU to the Emerald. Apparently the Sun Bowl invoked their no repeats clause since OSU played there last year.

Oregon State people are spinning the snub in a positive way. They get to go to San Francisco instead of shitty El Paso and play shitty Maryland instead of pretty good South Florida. I think they might be right.

After looking through all the bowl matchups, I'm nominating the Motor City Bowl for the worst. 7-5 Purdue against 8-5 Central Michigan, the MAC champ. Not too offensive on face; it's a pretty standard "decent mid-major vs. crappy BCS team" game. Except that Purdue beat CMU 45-22 in September. I'm sure both team's fanbases will be thrilled to renew this 3-month rivalry in picturesque Detroit on the day after Christmas.

Oregon State beat Oregon and finished with a better conference record, alone at 3rd place... and the 4th place Ducks got picked by the Sun Bowl sending OSU to the Emerald. Apparently the Sun Bowl invoked their no repeats clause since OSU played there last year.

Oregon State people are spinning the snub in a positive way. They get to go to San Francisco instead of shitty El Paso and play shitty Maryland instead of pretty good South Florida. I think they might be right.

The Terps despite being 6-6 are a pretty decent team, as they did beat BC last month.

As far as the Title game, the only benefiter of the whole mess was FOX which got LSU/Ohio St which will be a big ratings draw instead of the Missouri/WVU. Personally Im in the "Hawaii should be in the title game" camp but it would have never happened. And theres no way a split champion is happening again.

I'm shocked that after people tried to refute my point that West Virginia was beatable and that I didn't think they would beat anyone in the title game, only three people ended up voting for them in this poll. Only "Others- specify" got less votes.

There's absolutely nothing good about going to Frisco.

I went to their shitty bowl game a few years back. Not fun at all.