TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZGangsta

Led Zeppelin played tonight

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

If only Foreigner had been so lucky as to have their drummer choke on his own vomit and die, ceasing operations of the band. Preferably right after "Cold as Ice."

I won't lie I have some Foreigner on my IPod. By some I mean several albums. But the only songs I listen to somewhat regularly are "Jukebox Hero" and "Cold As Ice", both are perfectly fine dumb arena rock songs in my book.

If only Foreigner had been so lucky as to have their drummer choke on his own vomit and die, ceasing operations of the band. Preferably right after "Cold as Ice."

Other than Neil Peart, when has a drummer ever been the center of a band's operations

its not necessarily that i CARE they're touring again, but its downright silly that people are excited to see geriatrics whose music is rooted in its youth. i don't hold much in rock n'roll sacred, but the reunion tours and rolling stones bother me to no end. once you stop recordning music, or even listenable music, you shouldn't tour. know who we can blame for the eagles and the stones and zeppelin and kiss? the boomers. the fucking boomers.

Phil Collins.

Point

The drummers from the Romantics and Night Ranger both sang their band's respective big hits.

But were they the primary songwriters for those bands?

Edit: double fuckyou

Hence why they weren't a great live act.

Oh fuck off with Zeppelin wasn't a great live band.

The Jimmy Page/pure white hair thing was kinda wierd to see since he's always had it died black up until very recently.

It's a common misconception that Genesis suffered upon Peter Gabriel's departure; the first two post-Gabriel albums, A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering were every bit as good as the Gabriel-era stuff.

Also, it's a bit questionable to call Collins, at any point, the "center" of Genesis, unless you mean "center" as simply being the band's most famous/prominent member. If that's the case, you really couldn't call Peart the "center" of Rush.

It's a common misconception that Genesis suffered upon Peter Gabriel's departure; the first two post-Gabriel albums, A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering were every bit as good as the Gabriel-era stuff.

A very large part of those two albums being good was Steve Hackett (whose solo material I highly recommend). After W&W he departed and then Genesis became the pop trio that most people know

Also, it's a bit questionable to call Collins, at any point, the "center" of Genesis, unless you mean "center" as simply being the band's most famous/prominent member. If that's the case, you really couldn't call Peart the "center" of Rush.

As I said in an earlier post, my reference was more about being the primary songwriter, or at least a very significant part of the band, since Czech's crack about Foreigner's drummer dying stopping the band just made me think of long-running industry jokes about the drummer being the most disposable band member, as the old joke goes: "Who's that guy who hangs out with the band? The drummer"

I figured that's what you meant, which is why Kinetic's suggestion of Phil Collins was off base. The songwriting amongst the trio-incarnation—a period of the band for which I'm no great fan—was pretty evenly split amongst Rutherford, Collins and Banks; even if all you know of 80s Genesis is the singles, you could stand those against Collins' solo singles of the same period and see that Banks and Rutherford must've reigned in Collins's sappier, saccharine tendencies.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Come on. This could be a cover band in Bettendorf, Iowa. Everything is downtuned to accommodate Plant's failing voice.

Steve Miller and Bachman Turner Overdrive are both far more loathsome classic rock radio staples than the Eagles or Skynyrd.

I'll give you BTO (I absolutely hate "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet"), but I like some Miller songs

I almost saw The Steve Miller Band with The New Cars this summer but there was a severe thunderstorm so my plans went awry.

Slowly, I'm coming to realize my niche on this board is guy who talks a lot about late 90s alternative rock and crappy classic rock. Every post I make here seems to pertain to one or the other.