TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Ol' Smitty

The War on Christmas: 2K8

They've been playing it at the Wal-Mart I work at since about then too.

I don't understand why, seriously. I've never, ever, heard anyone say "I'm so glad they're playing Christmas music this early!", but I have heard a great many people bitch about it. I think the only purpose it serves is pissing off employees who have to listen to it for 2 straight months.

My absolute least favorite thing about the Christmas season is the stupid music that gets played at every store. Do people really enjoy hearing that crap? I love doing homework at the campus Starbucks because normally they are playing jazz music or Radiohead or something along those lines, and then Christmas rolls around and I can barely step into the place because it's all fucking jingles that drive me up the wall.

They've been playing it at the Wal-Mart I work at since about then too.

I don't understand why, seriously. I've never, ever, heard anyone say "I'm so glad they're playing Christmas music this early!", but I have heard a great many people bitch about it. I think the only purpose it serves is pissing off employees who have to listen to it for 2 straight months.

You know what Xmas song I really fucking hate? A Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney. UGH.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Are people just messing with me at this point?

Look. I don't want to go all music outside of the music folder on ya, but it's important that you know this:

That song. It's ok that you like it! Don't get me wrong or anything. If you enjoy it, good for you, my man, but that song is terrible. Absolutely awful. Your enjoyment of it is based solely on nostalgia, whether you realize it or not.

Are people just messing with me at this point?

Look. I don't want to go all music outside of the music folder on ya, but it's important that you know this:

That song. It's ok that you like it! Don't get me wrong or anything. If you enjoy it, good for you, my man, but that song is terrible. Absolutely awful. Your enjoyment of it is based solely on nostalgia, whether you realize it or not.

I'd put it second worst behind "Christmas Shoes."

Guest Czecherbear

I enjoy it on its own merits, too. I was gonna nominate it for my "Great Moments in Synthesizer History" thread I never started, along with the intros to "Jump," "Summer Madness," and "Mild und Liese."

Guest Smues

I think enjoyable drek is the best way to sum up my feelings on the song. I can at least listen to it and it's up beat and cheery, which is what a Christmas song should be. Contrast it with John Lennon's dogshit of a Christmas song which is depressing and just terrible. There is no cheer when they sing Merry Christmas in that one, and that 'war is over if you want it' shit does not belong in a Christmas song. I'll take Wonderful Christmas time over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'd put it second worst behind "Christmas Shoes."

I'm not sure there will ever be a song that comes along and takes the worst Christmas song ever title awful from Christmas Shoes.

I agree that musically the song is terrible, but does world peace really have nothing to do with Christmas?

And while we're on the subject, let's not forget about THIS crapfest.

Christmas Shoes is a pretty damned depressing song, in and of itself. I was talking to my Mom the other day about Christmas songs, and I brought up how with songs like these being played OVER AND OVER on the radio, its a wonder the suicide rate usually skyrockets around this time of year. Seriously though, that song is pretty damned sad to listen to.

Lennon and McCartney both had.....unique... takes on Christmas songs. I will agree though that I believe most people's enjoyment of this song is based off nostalgia and little else.

Of "modern" Christmas songs, I really don't find much to be enjoyable. I still find myself listening to Bing Crosby or the usual Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph songs.

At least the shopping 'rush' is over now, and in about a week after the majority of people are finished making their returns and exchanges, things will get a little bit back to normal.

Season's Greetings, Dobbs.

(Happy Holidays is for mere foot soldiers in the GWOXMAS. Members of the Atheist Special Forces like me use Season's Greetings, since it's stripped of any and all possible religious connotations.)

J/K dude, Merry Christmas.

Another year and Christmas wasn't destroyed!

Well, I guess us liberal commie atheist leftwing secular fascists will have to just try harder next year.

Best Christmas song ever is "Father Christmas" by the Kinks.

Anyway, Merry Christmas people.

No, the best Christmas song ever is Porky Pig's Blue Christmas. I can listen to that any day of the week.