TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

I completely forgot Summerslam was getting the anthology treatment. I'm only interested in what would make up the first two volume sets. I've either got the other ones on DVD or couldn't care less about the others.

Apparently there's some controversy about the quality of the Blu-Ray Mania DVD. By controversy, I mean someone (who I almost assumed was Marvin) complained to Scott Keith about it and he made a confused blog post. Mole (wait, Mole goes to Keith's blog!? Odd) set them all straight with a link to a hardcore VQ/AQ website though.

Apparently there's some controversy about the quality of the Blu-Ray Mania DVD. By controversy, I mean someone (who I almost assumed was Marvin) complained to Scott Keith about it and he made a confused blog post. Mole (wait, Mole goes to Keith's blog!? Odd) set them all straight with a link to a hardcore VQ/AQ website though.

I havent seen the BR version of WM but I would assume given it was their first BR release that there could be problems. The HD broadcast was near perfect from what I saw.

I got the Ric Flair and the 4 Horsemen DVD from Amazon for 90 pepsi points, waiting for it to come now. Im able to collect the points at work because I have to empty the garbage and most people just throw the pepsi bottles away and leave the caps on.

Only 90 points?

Man, when I was a kid it took like, hundreds to thousands to get worthwhile stuff. I never quite got the amount of points needed for that jet.

All DVDs are 90. They had a couple WWF sets early on but the time it took me to collect points they were gone.

Thanks... I didn't actually need an answer (though I could see how you thought I was actually questioning your ability to buy a DVD with 90 points) but no matter. I was making a reference to the Pepsi Stuff campaign of the 1990s (where a sweater cost 250 points) and specifically this lawsuit about a jet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_v._Pepsico%2C_Inc.

I would recommend to people to check out wwe.com for their older DVD's. They have some pretty good deals. Undertaker DVD - 14.98, HBK:FTV & Boyhood Dream Combo - 15.98, Rey & Eddie Combo - 19.99

I was pretty bummed that the song that was used during the Hardy / Orton build-up video for Rumble 2008 was replaced by some lame licensed music. I'm surprised they kept Michael Buffer in.

I was too (though it would have been odd to get around), but I suspect his appearance contract or whatever included something about his likeness being used in DVDs and what not.

The Summerslam covers via silvervision, and for a change there's actually wrestlers on the cover, not just the logo like the Wrestlemania and Royal Rumble sets.

WEBDVD23_L.JPG

WEBDVD24_L.JPG

WEBDVD25_L.JPG

WEBDVD26_L.JPG

Quite surprised that some guys are on the cover. Not a lot of Rock, Taker or Austin. 2 Bret pictures, Brock Lesnar?, Razor Ramon!, and Diesel.

As cool as the cooler is, I hope they are releasing the volumes in North America right away and that's not just a UK thing. Mania and Rumble had a large gap time (a year, I think) before getting volumes but I really don't need duplicate DVD copies of SummerSlam 2000-2005.

Volume 1 and 2 would cover all the SummerSlams I don't own at all. I would need 3 to have 98 and 99 on DVD but I'm not a big fan of 99 so no rush. 2006 and 2007 are also in the "no rush" category, though I do like having a complete set of major PPVs.

I still have to wonder why Summerslam's set was released before Survivor Series' set...when Survivor Series is the older PPV.

If I was to take a guess I would say because in the early years Summerslam had more significant matches than the survivor series. It wasn't until 1991 that there was a title defended at the survivor series

Summerslam is really the #2 PPV to be fair. And usually the 2nd best.

I've got a lot of the Summerslams on DVD already so I'm not sure I'll be getting any of the volumes. But I'm definately tempted, the covers look real nice.

Should they have not waited until this years SummerSlam and then released a 20 year anthology? That makes more sense to me.

Those SummerSlam covers are cool.

To anybody who owns Backlash 2008 and / or Judgment Day 2008, are they widescreen too or did WWE go back to full frame with them?

2007 was the 20th Summerslam.

Yeah you're right, I looked at the dates of 1988-2007 and didn't think about it logically. :bonk:

Here's a chapter from Ric Flair's new dvd set:

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms...ne15-21/7464604

I've never been a fan of Flair...

Is this because he never worked for TNA?

No. I've just never liked him from when I was watching WCW. Just never got behind him at all. Don't know what exactly it is, but maybe after I see the DVD I can get behind him. I will admit his influence, and he has had some great matches, but I've just never liked him.

Oooh I love me some surveys. I went more with the definitive matches route instead of the matches that aren't yet on DVD route. Nothing wrong with either method though really/

For the record I picked

70s-80s

Pat Patterson Vs Ted DiBiase (for historical purposes, it'd be good to have the first IC champion in action on the DVD. Incidentally, Ted DiBiase was the first holder of the shortlived IC title predecessor, The WWF North American Title.)

Jimmy Snuka Vs Don Muraco (one of the most iconic matches in WWF history)

Randy Savage Vs Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat (see above)

90s

Bret Hart Vs "British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith (Easily one of the best matches in WWF history. And the first and almost definitely last and only time that the Intercontinental title main evented a major PPV)

Razor Ramon Vs Shawn Michaels (again- another iconic match)

Steve Austin Vs The Rock (I don't remember this match being particularly great or anything but it's two of the biggest icons in the sport in one of their first matches against each other)

'00s

Kurt Angle Vs Chris Jericho (For a while in early '00, it seemed like the IC title division was on the up and up. This match is a great example from that period)

Randy Orton Vs Rob Van Dam (Again- two more future World Champions showcased battling for the IC title)

Ric Flair Vs Triple H (I've always dug this match and once again two more main eventers to stick on there to sell more DVDs)

I'm trying to pick matches that won't make other DVDs. I'm keeping the first match in the 80s, and Snuka/Muraco with the cage dive, but my #3 80s match was Honky taking the belt over Steamboat. That match won't make other DVD sets like Savage/Steamboat WM3 will. I don't even know why Warrior/Honky is a choice, that match was what, 45 seconds?

90s I went Razor/Douglas, Austin/Rock and Chyna/Jarrett (even though there's no way in hell the third match makes the DVD)

2000 I went Flair/HHH in a cage, Van Dam v Hardy and for some reason Marella v Umaga in Italy.