TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

I'm worried they will put the HBK-HHH 50 minute version on this thing. It's on the cover but hopefully that's just to show Shawn.

You sound as if releasing that match on dvd will bring eternal damnation upon us or something. I'm sure among the minority but I like that match and find it highly underrated around here, possibly because it features no high spots or death-defying moves. It's definitely better than HHH/Jericho, HHH/Nash, and I'll go on record as saying I prefer it over Brock/Taker, which most people are only impressed just because of the sick blade job by Undertaker.

possibly because it features no high spots or death-defying moves

The elbowdrop off the ladder was pretty awesome though.

I was surprised at the result of the Flair/Piper match from MSG. I assumed it was a no contest or some such (due to Piper's repuation of never doing jobs except for Bret Hart and then Hogan in 2003) but a nice surprise. It was also a nice surprise to hear the fans go banana for Ric Flair AND have Monsoon acknowledge it instead of just ignore it, but he had a habit of just saying whatever the hell he felt like anyway.

Anyone watch the story about his rookie hazing? Getting a fork stuck through your hand by Dick Murdoch doesn't say "Welcome to the bigs, kid" as much as it says "You are dealing with some major assholes in this buisness, kid."

And the Sting Clash match is fantastic.

This might not be the right place to post it, but hey, it's good enough. Does anyone from the US or Canada have the Undertaker: The Phenom DVD, Judgment Day 2001, Judgment Day 2002 or the Raw Homecoming DVD that they're willing to sell or trade? I've been looking for those for a while with little luck.

Anyone watch the story about his rookie hazing? Getting a fork stuck through your hand by Dick Murdoch doesn't say "Welcome to the bigs, kid" as much as it says "You are dealing with some major assholes in this buisness, kid."

Yeah, it's amazing Flair tolerated that. But as I've always said, wrestling is a bizarre business.

People would get it a lot worse back then. Read Piper's book. He had to go through some shit when he started as well. Luckily the hazing has really, really, REALLY eased up.

From the DVDTalk forums:

wwessa1kl5.jpg

wwessa2af5.jpg

wwessa3yo8.jpg

wwessa4vv2.jpg

wwessa5nw4.jpg

wwessa6mc9.jpg

wwessa7yv7.jpg

box2.jpg

box1.jpg

inside.jpg

outside.jpg

Apparently the packaging is different between the silvervision ones and the North American one. As the bottom half pictures display a sleeve like packaging which could lead to damaged discs.

This will in no way alter any decision I make to buy or not buy the set (I probably will) but does anyone know if Highway to Hell was removed from the SummerSlam 98 DVD? It almost certianly would have to be, I highly doubt they'd pay for it.

This will in no way alter any decision I make to buy or not buy the set (I probably will) but does anyone know if Highway to Hell was removed from the SummerSlam 98 DVD? It almost certianly would have to be, I highly doubt they'd pay for it.

Yes they did, they cut out the whole Highway to hell video and there's this really awkward cut from Vince's voice right to the explosions to open the PPV.

UPS delivered my Summerslam boxset yesterday. As someone mentioned above, the individual 5-disc volumes are much thinner than the WM and RR ones because the disks are in sleeves rather than the normal packaging. I wasn't all that happy about that, because I've read that sliding the disks in and out of the sleeves can damage them more so than "clicking" them out of the usual case that most DVDs come in. (whatever the proper term for that is).

Obviously havent watched much of it yet. Threw on 1988 for awhile and very pleased to hear the original Summerslam music! IIRC, most of the old school PPV themes were removed from The Wrestlemanias and Royal Rumbles. I threw in 1993 for awhile and it too had the old theme (a different one from 1988, the one that would have been around in 93).

Overall, it's all I expected and looks to come as advertised. Only issue being, maybe, the sleeves. I'm just going to be very careful with them.

The first (and only) DVDs I own with "sleeves" are the new Futurama ones, and those are noted as being "environmentally friendly", so I assume that gimmick is going to be gradually replacing plastic.

Disc 1

- The Devil’s Playground

- The Debut

- Hell in a Cell, Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels, Badd Blood (October 5, 1997)

- RAW in Hell

- Tag Team Hell in a Cell Match, Stone Cold Steve Austin & Undertaker vs. Mankind & Kane, RAW (June 15, 1998)

- The Defining Match

- Hell in a Cell, Undertaker vs. Mankind, King of the Ring (June 28, 1998)

- Partners turned Opponents

- Hell in a Cell, Mankind vs. Kane, RAW (August 24, 1998)

- Career on the Line

- Hell in a Cell Match for the WWE Championship (Cactus Jack’s Career is on the Line), Triple H vs. Cactus Jack, No Way Out (February 27, 2000)

- The Six Men

- Six-Man Hell in a Cell Match for the WWE Championship, Kurt Angle vs. Rikishi vs. The Rock vs. Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Steve Austin, Armageddon (December 10, 2000)

Disc 2

- End the Game

- Hell in a Cell, Triple H vs. Chris Jericho, Judgment Day (May 19, 2002)

- Earning Your Respect

- Hell in a Cell Match for the WWE Championship, Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar, No Mercy (October 20, 2002)

- Special Guest Referee

- Hell in a Cell Match for the World Heavyweight Championship, Triple H vs. Kevin Nash, Bad Blood (June 15, 2003)

- Good Friends Gone Bad

- Hell in a Cell, Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Bad Blood (June 13, 2004)

Disc 3

- The Animal’s Evolution

- Hell in a Cell Match for the World Heavyweight Championship, Batista vs. Triple H, Vengeance (June 26, 2005)

- The Legend Killer

- Hell in a Cell, Undertaker vs. Randy Orton, Armageddon (December 18, 2005)

- The Amplified Version

- Hell in a Cell Handicap Match, Degeneration-X vs. Shane McMahon, Mr. McMahon & Big Show, Unforgiven (September 17, 2006)

- The End of the Line

- Hell in a Cell Match for the World Heavyweight Championship, Undertaker vs. Batista, Survivor Series (November 18, 2007)

- Defining A Career

credit:Gerweck.net

Judging by that 3rd last chapter, it sounded like Hell in a Cell was going to end.

Thankfully, I have most of the HIAC matches due to my DVD collection.

Yes they did, they cut out the whole Highway to hell video and there's this really awkward cut from Vince's voice right to the explosions to open the PPV.

That's a shame. It was one of the best build-up videos EVER made.

actually they cut that off the original vhs release in 98, so no surprise to me. Perhaps they just used the original WWFHV VHS master to copy from,as I know it had a weird cut on the opening as well. Does the DVD show exclusive footage of Rock returning to his locker after the ladder match? Remember the Rumble set had a few shows with the home video exclusives,notably 92,99,2000.

"Tag Team Hell in a Cell Match, Stone Cold Steve Austin & Undertaker vs. Mankind & Kane, RAW (June 15, 1998)"

Didn't this consist of the Cell lowering, then everyone brawling on the outside before the show went off the air? Odd choice for inclusion.

Is there any reason as to why the Hart Foundation / Rockers 2/3 falls match from Saturday Night's Main Event was included on the Shawn Michaels DVD? Everyone just seemed to be at their worst on that night and there were constantly times where each guy missed their spots. It was painful just to sit through it and the lack of commentary certainly didn't help.

actually they cut that off the original vhs release in 98, so no surprise to me. Perhaps they just used the original WWFHV VHS master to copy from,as I know it had a weird cut on the opening as well. Does the DVD show exclusive footage of Rock returning to his locker after the ladder match? Remember the Rumble set had a few shows with the home video exclusives,notably 92,99,2000.

Yes, it does have The Rock in the locker room, I thought it was the VHS version, and it does randomly say "Home video exclusive" during the thing with The Rock.

Is there any reason as to why the Hart Foundation / Rockers 2/3 falls match from Saturday Night's Main Event was included on the Shawn Michaels DVD? Everyone just seemed to be at their worst on that night and there were constantly times where each guy missed their spots. It was painful just to sit through it and the lack of commentary certainly didn't help.

Because it was a never before released match and was the "phantom" title change, so, while a mediocre match, it was sill rare and kinda cool to have.

Obviously havent watched much of it yet. Threw on 1988 for awhile and very pleased to hear the original Summerslam music! IIRC, most of the old school PPV themes were removed from The Wrestlemanias and Royal Rumbles. I threw in 1993 for awhile and it too had the old theme (a different one from 1988, the one that would have been around in 93).

Someone needs to upload the two classic SummerSlam themes on You Tube or something (88-89 and 90-94).

Someone needs to upload the two classic SummerSlam themes on You Tube or something (88-89 and 90-94).

I think they just did it for historical purposes given the controversy surrounding the whole ordeal.